Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 15, 2003

Taking place in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, around 4000 years before the events of the films, Knights of the Old Republic is a third-person turn-based RPG where players travel the galaxy as a mysterious Republic soldier, racing against time to thwart a massive Sith fleet.

Mini KOTOR Endurance Run

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By fwylo

Hello Everyone(mainly Jeust because he's my only follower so far),

My whole life I've skipped over RPG's, I think mainly thanks to the fact that its not constant action all the time.  Alot of the games I play may have a story but don't consist of the long played out dialogue(aside from MGS4 which was more of a movie.)  I got a new job a few months ago and am constantly online so I've been listening/watching the Persona 4 Endurance run, (Currently on Episode 112) and it has opened my eyes to the world of RPG's and how fun the non-fighting aspects of these games really are.  When I was in school a few years ago I played WoW quite a bit but it was a challenge for me to stay focused on it for a long time and really immerse myself into it like I wanted to.

So 2 weeks ago I decided to get into some kind of RPG that would take me about 60 hours or so.  A friend of mine suggest Blue Dragon so I started that up and found it to be much too easy.  Maybe I was doing something wrong or I have no idea but it wasn't a challenge at all.  Lately all the talk about Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 has definitely put Bioware on my new found RPG radar which led me to look into Star Wars: The Old Republic which I plan on playing for sure.

So a combination of Bioware looking very amazing at the moment, and wanting to know the story to SW:TOR has naturally led me to KOTOR.  So in theme of Giant Bomb I will be doing a mini Endurance Run through KOTOR.  I call it mini because I don't have the technology to do a video & voice capture like the GB crew so I'll be posting the next day on my progress through the game.  Obviously any feedback or tips on which way I should lead my future Jedi is much appreciated but God Damn no spoilers.  I hear there is one of the most epic plot twists EVER in this game. 

If enough people want I'll try and get some capture equipment to video log this as well.

But feel free to follow along and enjoy :).  

Yesterday I started up the game and ended up ditching my girlfriend and playing for 7 hours straight...

And so it begins.

Day 1.

I borrowed an Xbox Platinum Hits Edition of the game from a friend of mine.  Now I don't have an xbox so I decided playing it on my 360 should be fine.  I'm so used to playing brand new games now that this game's graphics are terrible.  Like I know they were great at the time and all but DAMN.  It seemed to be running smoothly, every so often I get some kind of spike and my character jumps forward a bit but I can live with that.

Character:
     San Dral.
     Male Scoundrel (I'll be doing automatic everything because I'm not into the whole full character customization thing.  Unless someone wants to give me a guide or something.)

I would like to give a full detailed account of everything I did yesterday in that 7 hours but there was so much that there is no way I remember it all.

Some key points:
    • All my decisions have been towards the light side so far.  (I feel bad any time someone asks me something so I offer to help but never just give credits away.)
    • Not equipping blasters just Melee on San.
    • Been to the dueling arena and defeated Dead Eye Duncan but not that 2 finger guy.

For those of you that know the story I've just bought the droid off Nail's and have entered the Sith base.  I died about 3 times and decided to call it quits after a solid 7 hours. It'll be more detailed next time because I won't play for as long and I was super tired yesterday.

About 3 hours in I died as well.  And when I loaded up my save file the sound is now FUCKED.  The music works, dialogue works, menu sounds work, but battle sounds don't aka blasters and melee weapons and items.  It wasn't that big of a deal and I'll live with it because I don't want to start again unless you guys suggest that I do so.

Respect.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fwylo

Hello Everyone(mainly Jeust because he's my only follower so far),

My whole life I've skipped over RPG's, I think mainly thanks to the fact that its not constant action all the time.  Alot of the games I play may have a story but don't consist of the long played out dialogue(aside from MGS4 which was more of a movie.)  I got a new job a few months ago and am constantly online so I've been listening/watching the Persona 4 Endurance run, (Currently on Episode 112) and it has opened my eyes to the world of RPG's and how fun the non-fighting aspects of these games really are.  When I was in school a few years ago I played WoW quite a bit but it was a challenge for me to stay focused on it for a long time and really immerse myself into it like I wanted to.

So 2 weeks ago I decided to get into some kind of RPG that would take me about 60 hours or so.  A friend of mine suggest Blue Dragon so I started that up and found it to be much too easy.  Maybe I was doing something wrong or I have no idea but it wasn't a challenge at all.  Lately all the talk about Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 has definitely put Bioware on my new found RPG radar which led me to look into Star Wars: The Old Republic which I plan on playing for sure.

So a combination of Bioware looking very amazing at the moment, and wanting to know the story to SW:TOR has naturally led me to KOTOR.  So in theme of Giant Bomb I will be doing a mini Endurance Run through KOTOR.  I call it mini because I don't have the technology to do a video & voice capture like the GB crew so I'll be posting the next day on my progress through the game.  Obviously any feedback or tips on which way I should lead my future Jedi is much appreciated but God Damn no spoilers.  I hear there is one of the most epic plot twists EVER in this game. 

If enough people want I'll try and get some capture equipment to video log this as well.

But feel free to follow along and enjoy :).  

Yesterday I started up the game and ended up ditching my girlfriend and playing for 7 hours straight...

And so it begins.

Day 1.

I borrowed an Xbox Platinum Hits Edition of the game from a friend of mine.  Now I don't have an xbox so I decided playing it on my 360 should be fine.  I'm so used to playing brand new games now that this game's graphics are terrible.  Like I know they were great at the time and all but DAMN.  It seemed to be running smoothly, every so often I get some kind of spike and my character jumps forward a bit but I can live with that.

Character:
     San Dral.
     Male Scoundrel (I'll be doing automatic everything because I'm not into the whole full character customization thing.  Unless someone wants to give me a guide or something.)

I would like to give a full detailed account of everything I did yesterday in that 7 hours but there was so much that there is no way I remember it all.

Some key points:
    • All my decisions have been towards the light side so far.  (I feel bad any time someone asks me something so I offer to help but never just give credits away.)
    • Not equipping blasters just Melee on San.
    • Been to the dueling arena and defeated Dead Eye Duncan but not that 2 finger guy.

For those of you that know the story I've just bought the droid off Nail's and have entered the Sith base.  I died about 3 times and decided to call it quits after a solid 7 hours. It'll be more detailed next time because I won't play for as long and I was super tired yesterday.

About 3 hours in I died as well.  And when I loaded up my save file the sound is now FUCKED.  The music works, dialogue works, menu sounds work, but battle sounds don't aka blasters and melee weapons and items.  It wasn't that big of a deal and I'll live with it because I don't want to start again unless you guys suggest that I do so.

Respect.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bubahula

that's pretty rad. Ive been thinking about going back to KOTOR as well. after i play Morrowind though :P

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Cool. I'm glad you're going back and giving this one a chance. I'm not big on RPGs myself, but KOTOR ranks as one of my all-time favorite games. I've actually played through the whole thing 3 different times, which is pretty rare for me to do, especially with such a long game.

DEAD EYE DUNCAN vs THE MYSTERIOUS STRANGER! Man, what a game. 

Dude, the sound went out? Not good. I hear Xbox games are especially glitching on the 360. Yeah, dude, the game is far too long for you to go all the way through it without sound. Try to load up a previous save and see if the sound still works, otherwise I'd suggest restarting. By the time you get to lightsabers, you're gonna want to hear those things. Also, I don't think it's that big of a deal to start over at this point. It's actually something I do pretty often. I'll start a game, play it for a few hours and really figure it out, then restart and I'll be able to handle the earlier parts more effectively. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

I played the heck out of that game back in te Xbox days, and just beat it 2 days ago when I bought it on steam.  I loved it, and if you have any questions hit me with a PM! Good Luck :)
    chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By chewii101

One of the best games ever on the Xbox. I think its a fantastic RPG and hope you have a blast with it. :D

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fwylo

Alright I've gotten a few pm's and a comment on here suggesting a restart so I'll do that and hopefully it won't mess up this time.  Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.