Trying to get into KOTOR, finding it hard...

#1 Posted by Robiin (300 posts) -

So, I bought this from a holiday sale on Steam in 2009 (I think), tried it for half an hour, just couldn't get into it. 

But many have said this is Bioware's greatest game, and I absolutely adore Mass Effect, so this is one I really want to experience. So again, a few days ago I started a new character, but again, I can't get into it. It just feels dated, and really hard to get into. The tutorials aren't perfect either, so I don't really have any idea of what I'm doing. 

Any tips? Is it worth draging through the opening hours, because (like Mass Effect 1) it opens up and becomes ten times better afterwards?

#2 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

Well it is an old game, but it is still great. I am sure when you get into the story the gameplay won't bother you as much. Give it time to get going.

#3 Posted by ShadowMountain (240 posts) -

I felt the same way. Played it for the first time several years after release. I came to the conclusion that it is one of those games that was great in its time but is hard to get into if you play it for the first a few years after release - especially if you've played more recent bioware games. 

I've actually just started Jade Empire recently and I am feeling the same way as I did about KOTOR.

#4 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (542 posts) -

Sorry, I used to love KoTOR but Mass Effect 1 destroyed this game for me. KoTOR's pretty dated now, even though it's only one generation back.

#5 Posted by S0ndor (2719 posts) -

Have you even left the ship you wake up on? Once you leave that ship the game becomes way more interesting. Once you complete the first planet you become a Jedi and the entire galaxy opens up for you (like Mass Effect). The story is great, and there are many memorable side quests and moral choices. Give it a shot is what I say.

#6 Posted by onyxghost (389 posts) -

KOTOR is one of my personal favorites of all time. Thats the game that got me to switch over from the playstation to the xbox. That was a long time ago and games in general have made some dramatic progress. If you didn't play it new I think you missed the magic.... I just went back to it to check it out and man did it ever feel stiff. The frame rate was really bad as well. I think I'll prefer to just remember it for what it was.

#7 Edited by NTM (11903 posts) -

Yeah... I really wish I beat it to tell you if it's great, but I personally can't get into it either because I know it's dated, and after all these other sci-fi's I've been into, movie and game wise, I don't really care for Star Wars as a whole, so the story doesn't really amuse me in it. I restarted it at the start of this month after I beat Dragon Age origins, and I came to the conclusion that I'll probably never beat it since I can play better games out now. I think it's one of those games that you would to have played back around its release to really enjoy it and by now, think back and remember how great it was.

#8 Posted by Robiin (300 posts) -
@Daveyo520:It just feels very old, I will try it for a few hours thogh, wish me luck. It's a game I would like to have experienced, as a gamer. If that makes sense.
@S0ndor:  No I haven't actually left the ship. I think I ended both times at the very end of that part. 

@ShadowMountain:@Scarlet_Rogue:@onyxghost:@NTM:  Seems like you agree with what I'm feeling. I would really like to have experienced it, but I think modern games have progressed so much since KOTOR, which makes it feel really old. As I said I will still try to get into it, but right now I'm just not feeling it.
#9 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -
@Robiin: Ya you need to leave the ship and let it open up. I actually stopped playing it once because I didn't get past that and then a long time after played past it and it is much better.  

What feels "old" about it? Yes it is actually old but besides that.
#10 Posted by Bollard (8186 posts) -
@S0ndor said:
" Have you even left the ship you wake up on? Once you leave that ship the game becomes way more interesting. Once you complete the first planet you become a Jedi and the entire galaxy opens up for you (like Mass Effect). The story is great, and there are many memorable side quests and moral choices. Give it a shot is what I say. "
Sweeet, can't wait for that! I'm on the first planet still and roleplaying it as a total jerk. I've never done that before, nice to try something different.
#11 Posted by dagas (3667 posts) -

It gets better after you get to travel where you want to. The first planet isn't that great. But yeah playing a game years after release isn't the same thing. I guess that's why I never could see what was so special with Half-Life 1 but I loved HL2 because I played that at release. I don't think that KotOR is Bioware's best game. Whoever said that is too clouded by nostalgia. At the time it was my favorite game, but ME and DA are both better, still it's worth trying to play further and see if you start liking it more. Korriban is my favorite planet.

#12 Posted by shirogane (3647 posts) -

I havn't played it in ages, but i do imagine it's pretty dated. Though it does have stuff that was taken out in more recent Bioware games. Action queues? Where are they in DA?! 

The game also takes ages to actually really get going. Though it's nowhere near as slow as 2, man that has a slow start...
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

Put it on easy and fool around for the first few hours to get a hang of the game, when you feel confident turn it back up to normal or something.

Or keep it on easy and enjoy the story!

#14 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Put it on easy and fool around for the first few hours to get a hang of the game, when you feel confident turn it back up to normal or something.  Or keep it on easy and enjoy the story! "
Ya the story is the real reason to play.
#15 Posted by ShadowofIntent (285 posts) -

You're doomed, I played it back in the day and loved it. I tried to go back and do a play through a couple weeks ago and it was painful.  As others have said, mass effect made this game unplayable.

#16 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1485 posts) -

Pro-tip: melee is overpowered and all the other classes suck in comparison.

#17 Posted by Rowr (5861 posts) -

I can understand that the pacing would feel alot slower with the lack of voice acting and longer conversations (at least i remember the conversations being longer). I would at least give it an hour, but hey if your not having fun well your not having fun. Sometimes games are impossible to enjoy as intended years after their release,  I've tried playing deus ex like 5 times before i came to the conclusion its never going to happen. I put a few good hours into final fantasy 7, but i will never finish that game. Sometimes you just miss them.

The thing to remember about this though - the reason these games are remembered so fondly are for what they did that no other game did or did better than any game you played before it. So if you already got everything you would love about kotor through mass effect, you're not losing out much (except for some great story).

#18 Posted by S0ndor (2719 posts) -

I would also like to point out that being evil has never been more fun than in this game. The jedi mind trick and force choke in particular allow for some seriously fucked up dialogue options, the kind that makes you feel like a bad person afterwards. Forget Renegade options in Mass Effect, when they say Dark Side they fucking mean Dark Side.

#19 Posted by AndrewB (7816 posts) -

As someone who loved the game and praised it to no end when it came out, I recently tried picking up the game again and stopped after realizing how dated everything felt. From the graphics to the writing to the shoehorned D20 combat system, it felt like a wildly inferior version of Mass Effect. My suggestion is that if putting it on easy and breezing through the story is too much of a hassle, you may not want to bother with it. The story isn't that revelatory, either.

#20 Posted by Aronman789 (2738 posts) -

I bought it for 3 bucks on Steam once, and it just kept freezing on me. 

Also I find Star Wars to be pretty crappy in general, sure it was a pretty huge thing when it came out and for some people it still is, but that doesn't mean there aren't better things now. I think Warhammer 40k and Mass Effect are much better universes with much better stories than Star Wars.

#21 Posted by Robiin (300 posts) -

Thanks for the tips! When I have time to really sink my teeth into it (I would like a few hours of straight playing, that's the best way for me to really get into a game) I will put it to easy and really emerge myself in it! Thank you all!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
#22 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6116 posts) -

To each his own i guess,im not a big fan of Star Wars,its a great movie,but i never really got into them. 
The games however are amazing.

#23 Posted by kishan6 (1986 posts) -
@Robiin: well its has way more in common with dragon age.  so if you like DAO then ull definitely like KOTOR 
But everyone should play KOTOR.  The first couple hours arent that entertaining but once you can choose where to go its totally amazing
#24 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2879 posts) -

I played though it two years ago and I still loved it.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
#25 Posted by the_hiro_abides (1325 posts) -

Getting of tutorial planet is key to having fun in that game. It is really similar to Dragon Age. Queuing up attacks, dialogue, and quests. 

Also, melee is the way to go. I usually play the worst class, but I like it best. I start with Rogue then move onto Consular. Never had a problem except in the arena early on on the first planet.

#26 Posted by ShaneDev (1702 posts) -

I only played through it for the first time about a year ago, I had however play KOTOR 2 well before this. I thought the entire opening planet was a complete drag. It was interesting to learn more about the plot and find the Jedi woman but I thought it went on way too long. Once I got to Dantooine it was way more interesting and I throughly enjoyed it. It was a problem that Mass Effect 1 had as well but I cut that a little more slack since it had to introduce a completely new universe. KOTOR 2 had a better starting I thought it was a bit more mysterious and tense. Both KOTOR games are really easy though there was only two or three hard parts in KOTOR 1 which I got passed by simply using everything in my inventory.

#27 Posted by Shadow71 (282 posts) -

I honestly think you just need to get past the first 3 hours, and then you'll really gain some momentum and start to love it. I recently just went through the game earlier this year and it was just as addictive as the first time I played it in 2003.

#28 Posted by DillonWerner (1611 posts) -

I wish I could go back and play it, but it doesn't work on my PC :(

#29 Edited by Warfran (3 posts) -

I bought this on the Steam sale the other day only because it was on for $2.50.
Never played it years ago because I'm not much of a Star Wars fan...I see that was a mistake because other than the graphics I'm enjoying it more than Mass Effect.
It started off a bit dull on the ship,  but then just kept getting better and better after landing.  Most of the side quests are really fun and different so I haven't been bored yet, couldn't say that about a lot of the ME side quests.
Anyway great game on for a great price these days, and at least runs great on Vista64.

#30 Posted by Mikemcn (8603 posts) -

Best game ever made, too scared to go back and play it, I have a strong feeling that i'll just end up having my fond memories destroyed.

#31 Edited by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

Fuck Bastila Shan. Fuck her right up her boorish, annoying ass. She almost made me hate Jennifer Hale, the bitch.

Phew, now that we got that out of the way, the game is fine. The ship and first planet are a complete borefest, then it gets opened up and the plot kicks in. Once you become a Jedi, it's actually fun.

Advice? Bastila and Jolee Bindo in your team, period. Non-Jedis suck. Also, be careful when specking your character for combat, the very last part of the game can be nigh-unplayable due to uneven difficulty if you are developed in a wrong way.

Also, avoid the sequel if you don't like half-assed endings and lots, lots of bugs and evidence of cut content.

Fuck Carth.

#32 Posted by Red (6146 posts) -

I actually recently replayed KotOR (like, beat it again last week) having originally played it after the original PC version came out. It is a little dated in terms of controls, camera, graphics, and some game design choices, but, honestly, it isn't all that different from something like Dragon Age. 

Anyways, if you're having trouble with combat, just use a 1h melee weapon and play as a soldier or scout in your first playthrough. Also, try very carefully not to get too much spoiled for you, as it is a game with a magnificent story.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
#33 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6805 posts) -

I find you crazy!  I just played it for the first time a couple weeks ago, and found it to be still quite great and very fun.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
#34 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6805 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
the very last part of the game can be nigh-unplayable due to uneven difficulty if you are developed in a wrong way.

Fuck that part.  That was very annoying.  Other than that though, I loved it a bunch!
#35 Posted by Skytylz (4151 posts) -
@Mikemcn: It's ugly, but it holds up fine.  I go back to it about once a year and play a little, it's my favorite game too :)
#36 Edited by Mikemcn (8603 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

@Mikemcn: It's ugly, but it holds up fine. I go back to it about once a year and play a little, it's my favorite game too :)

Its super cheap now, I have the CDs still. but Im too lazy to reinstall, I really should buy it on Steam and try it again.

#37 Posted by Leptok (982 posts) -

Get the mod that skips Tarsis or whatever that 1st planet is. It gets great after that.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
#38 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6116 posts) -
@Scarlet_Rogue said:
Sorry, I used to love KoTOR but Mass Effect 1 destroyed this game for me. KoTOR's pretty dated now, even though it's only one generation back.
Well, at least you didn't say Mass Effect 2 -_-
Avatar image for green_incarnate
#39 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

The first planet was always slow, but that just made getting Jedi powers that much more awesome.

#40 Edited by Vehemont (6 posts) -
@kishan6: @kishan6 said:

@Robiin: well its has way more in common with dragon age.  so if you like DAO then ull definitely like KOTOR But everyone should play KOTOR.  The first couple hours arent that entertaining but once you can choose where to go its totally amazing

Well I just signed up to the forum to comment on this particular thread. I just literally beat KOTOR just an hour ago for the first time. I have had the game since 2004 on the Xbox and loved it. I just got stuck on the Unknown Planet and stopped playing. Well about 2 weeks ago I decided to buy a FX Lightsaber (I know I'm a nerd LOL, also look em up they are cool!) and it put me in the mood to play it again. I started over and played on the Light side and it was great fun. There was many times when I was tempted to fall to the Dark side to make it easier but I resisted lol.  Yea the graphics are not up to Mass Effect standards and there are frame rate issues and some lag and bugs but I like it for what it is damn it...

Ok... Well as for the Dragon Age comparison, I could not get into it. I played for over 25 hours on the PS3 and just stopped. I heard it was way better on the PC, so when I bought a new PC I bought the game for it and could not get into it.  I also think the graphics are fugly for a game that came out after Mass Effect lol.

On Mass Effect's case I absolutely loved 1. I played through it 3 times. Never played 2 because of what I heard of it. Namely the RPG elements were watered down and it was mostly a shooter... meh..... I may give it a chance one day but I will play through KOTOR another round I believe!

Oh and I never could get into Jade Empire long enough to beat it either....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.