Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Following the events of the first game, Darth Vader clones a replacement Starkiller, who again rebels against his master.

Demo available. Thoughts?

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By louiedog

The demo for this was put onto the Xbox Live Marketplace today. You can queue it up here. Anyone play it yet? How are you liking it?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By landon

Have yet to play it. I'll tell you tomorrow.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Ravenousrattler

pretty cool except for the dash sequence where the ship is blowing up the hallway(outta my way stormtroopers i can't see where i'm going), also needs more chuck-ables and stuff to rip out, but those will probably increase as the game goes on.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

Tried it.  Pretty uninteresting to me.  Too much boring fighting against hapless stormtroopers.  Level design (in terms of gameplay) and the pacing is just monotonous.

The graphics are nice and smooth... but that's about all I could say positive about the demo.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By sarahsdad

tried it this morning. 
    Yay canned animations, I guess. 
    I'm not sure why, but I guess I was expecting something different.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Some of it felt pretty good, but I don't feel that enough changed from the first game. I'm already seeing the annoying fights where you're going to be constantly knocked down and shot while you have no control. =|

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By RichardLOlson

Gotta download it and check it out.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By pbhawks45

Seems like it will be a fun game to play, but not one worth spending $60 on. That's not to say it's a bad game by any means. I found it pretty fun. But it's not something you'd want to replay multiple times.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Raymayne

It rules the roost.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Definitely better than the first. Although they need to fix the combat so you can get out of a move before completing it. It takes some of the fun out of the game and makes it a little harder when a stormtrooper comes up behind you, but you can't do anything because you're in the middle of a combo that you can't get out of.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zajtalan

is this on psn?

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HereAllDay
    @Zajtalan said:
    " is this on psn? "
    Don't think it's updated yet.
    rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rosebud04

so far its been great. Best bit is when you use a mind trick on a stormtrooper and make him jump out of a window.

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By The_Joker

The combat is way more fun this time around. I'm amazed at their hard T despite being able to cut the storm troopers up into bits. Mind Trick is a nice touch.

The story on the other hand is so awful. A clone? really? Starkiller is dead. Take 15 minutes and make a fresh character.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By landon
    @The_Joker said:
    " The combat is way more fun this time around. I'm amazed at their hard T despite being able to cut the storm troopers up into bits. Mind Trick is a nice touch.  The story on the other hand is so awful. A clone? really? Starkiller is dead. Take 15 minutes and make a fresh character. "
    Heyheyheyheyheyheyheyhey, dude. You haven't exactly played the game yet, give the story a chance.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

General echoing of what's been said so far. 

It seems to be better than the original, but we're using souped up abilities (you can check if you go to the upgrade screen with back/select. Nice that the menus are substantially quicker now) against basic infantry. That being said, it does seem more fluid than before, but there are similar trappings; being knocked down and taking damage when you can't react to anything is incredibly frustrating in this sort of game, abilities not really being of much use against certain foes (I don't eagerly anticipate this game's version of those 10ft tall black armour clad bastards from the original)  namely in the mind trick - a nice ability, but I'd rather have them, say, shoot at their former allies as opposed to killing themselves, especially considering I can kill them in one less button press.  

The exploding corridor is another good example of not quite good enough - let's put boxes in the way to break flow! Or, how about don't, because that's not as fun. 

The problem I see with this demo, and likely full game, that the first had, was that it wants to be more than what it should be. It should be fairly mindless and fun, but if you attempt that, it penalises you for not going deeper into the gameplay of pressing a series of buttons. Come on, you don't need two lightsabers, but it looks cool. Similarly, you don't need button pressing sequences when you'd rather lop off an armour clad robotic arm yourself by jumping and hitting the slash button. Definitely a bargain bin purchase. 

...but to iterate one thing, lopping off limbs IS good fun.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Afroman269

Not too bad but I'll rent it just like the first one.

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno why you guys didn't like it, but I'm absolutely blown away.  I only sort of liked the first game, it got monotonous really quickly, wasn't that good looking, and the combat sort of sucked.  While this is a demo, I was absolutely blown away.  The graphics (especially when Starkiller's falling at the start) looked like cinematics, and then all of a sudden I have seamless control.  It looks amazing.  And chucking 2 lightsabers and decapitating 4 or 5 stormtroopers at a time?  Shit yes.  The mind trick is a great touch (you can have them shoot the other guys, I did it several times) and force fury looks pretty neat, too.  I'm very seriously considering pre-ordering this game, the demo was that good.  The only thing I'm wary about is how mediocre the last one was, and that continuing on to this game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already deleted the demo. I thought I'd gleaned everything I could from the play through - how did you get the Mind Trick to get them to shoot other dudes then? 

I thought Force Fury was a bit unnecessary. You're supposed to be this powerful dude, and now all of a sudden you're EVEN MORE POWERFUL THAN POWERFUL. Just seems a bit redundant - if my lightsaber (x2) can't do the job, why should me glowing purple suddenly do it? Granted, the graphics were stellar.

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Joelteon7: A) I'm not sure, I think they have to be near other enemies when you perform the trick on them.  B) It's a video game.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Brendan

Have yet to play, thought first was a little medicore, but am biased because lifelong Jedi Knight fan.  Little hope, little hope.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SkullcrusherMountain: A) Fair enough. B) Sure, I don't doubt that, but when you have lightsabers that don't cut through everything until you upgrade them...by cutting through things, it seems silly to then give you the ability to cut through everything for a little bit of time. It's a fun period of time, and my point is, why not give this to us all the time? I still think they're over-complicating something which really doesn't need to be.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Meh.

It's ace sure, but it feels like TFU1 too much.
    No WOW factor and I already got pissed off at the camera system (and I'm very forgiving with those!) and especially the stormtroopers with the staff that basically block through your saber combo and then just knock you out midcombo.

Didn't they learn from the huge black stormtroopers in part 1? Such dicks those were!

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By NickLott

I thought falling in the rain was visually striking and pretty fun but afterward seemed pretty standard Force Unleashed. Seems like a sub $30 purchase for me unless the word of mouth is stellar.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:

" Some of it felt pretty good, but I don't feel that enough changed from the first game. I'm already seeing the annoying fights where you're going to be constantly knocked down and shot while you have no control. =| "

Yeah. This is my exact issue with the first game. I never felt like I had enough control over what was happening, and it was compounded by the fact that there were invisible walls everywhere (so you couldn't just escape), and that the majority of enemies were resistant to either lightsaber or force attacks, and that bosses could lock you into an infinite loop until you died.  

Just shitty design. 
    fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fetchfox

Limbs and heads going off is fun, but it's not enough to get me to buy this game. I wont be buying it on release, or at all. I played the first one, and the demo for the second didn't win me over.

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blinck

Tried it on PS3, and I am a huge Star Wars fan. Did not play the first one ( except the demo ) :

- Looks very very good.
     - The music score is great as usual in SW games
     - The story seems retarded, but can't really judge it from just a demo
     - The mind trick is nice, as well as the grip, and both seem to work very well.
     - What annoyed me the most is how extremely overpowered the force is in this game... this is not star wars, it looks like fucking dragonball. The Force in the movies is much more subtle ( except for lightning maybe ) but here is just completely over the top, which really takes away from the star wars feeling IMO . All the freaking effects when you use force push are ridiculous...not to talk about the mega force push in which everything explodes around him...it's just too much. When you are in the gliding sequence he is shooting down tie fighters like he has fucking bazookas in his hands. MEH.

Not sure what to think about the game tbh.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By TheHBK

Graphics are a lot better than the first game.  And game play is also improved.  You still get locked into animation combos which sucks but its not as bad, though as we saw with the first game that when it gets harder, it will probably be the shit that annoys you the most. 
    The lightsabers cutting guys and stuff is cool, though it should not take more than one hit to kill a guy.  Also, the two lightsabers and the reverse grip on them, very annoying and retarded.  Don't like looking at it.  He seems pretty powerful and makes you wonder how the Storm Troopers in the movies were ever able to kill any jedi.  I mrean, he barely rememebers he can use mind trick.  He is also pretty young and so you would think an experienced Jedi Master like Obi Wan kenobi could take care of some storm troopers just as easily.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Grissefar

It seems like an uninteresting game - just like the first one.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By Jedted

I deffinatly enjoyed the demo, one of the new features i was the most excited about is you can move WHILE BLOCKING(something that should've been in the first game to begin with).  It seems like they have mostly all the same combos from TFU but with an extra lightsaber.  It's pretty fun to use Jedi Mind Trick on the stormtroopers and watch them fight each other. 

When you unlock Force Fury mode at the end it looks like you just DOMINATE lesser enemies!  It'll be interesting see how they balance that with later levels in the game to make it more challenging. 
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#31  Edited By Jazz

Better than the first, certainly. I just find it odd that there's no dodge roll/jump dodge ability..at least not that i found. If you're locked on to a guy, it would make more sense to dodge around him than just jump up. 
    TBH it makes a great tech demo, but i can see it getting very boring quickly. Just like the first game.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By project343

Was fun. Just like the first game's demo. But if this is anything like the first game, it'll go south by Chapter 4--where your 'OMGUBERPOWERZSOFUN' will be countered by a special breed of anti-force super-wookies. Then again, they might get creative and make anti-force droids. 

Also, I figure you'll be fighting clones throughout the game. Which probably have more anti-force barriers. 

If you can't tell, the first game was pessimism-inducingly-disappointing for me.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jothel

the demo is broken for me, after the cutscene it fades to black and stays black, then i can hear the game sounds, i press buttons and hear them do things but still straight black, if i press the guide button then the screen goes waaaaaaay weird

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By unchained

The PS3 demo froze up on me. That irked me, so after rebooting my console, I deleted the demo. From what I played though, seemed kind of fun.  In a year with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and God of War III, this game (from the demo at least) just doesn't live up to the others in the genre.

SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SavUK

I enjoyed the first one despite the many flaws so I'm sure I will enjoy the sequel. The graphics seem better. Agree that the hallway running sequence was janky and the pacing and transitions were a bit jumpy in places, but then it is a demo. Will probably pick it up after the price drops in a couple of months, too many other games to get first.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Mediocre..

There are parts I like, such as the characters, general plot, setting, etc.  Though it's hindered this time by feeling very un-canon.  You know this story can't fit into the proper time-line, having Vader getting owned so badly so often really destroys his credibility and the plot twist is mind-numbingly obvious from the start.

The graphics look fantastic, but the combat still doesn't flow very well.  You don't feel like a Jedi because your "lightsaber" is basically a club, being able to repeatedly hit enemies over the head with it just feels completely wrong and  other SW games didn't have a problem with the difficulty, despite being able to instantly kill most enemies with it. 

If you liked the first game, you should enjoy it. 
    If not, this isn't the game you're looking for.  Personally, I'm a lot more excited for Lego Star Wars 3.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gkhan

I didn't play the first game, but the controls felt really jerky to me. It wasn't fluid at all, which is what I'm looking for in Jedi games. Played the demo, done with the game.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, and the demo makes me want to jab my eyeballs out. Yeah, its fun to kill dudes, but I can't get immersed at all. Darth Vader is a complete pansy, you are some steroid filled monkey. He revives you to kill Starkiller, it seems, which just seems downright stupid. Then you can grab Tie Fighters easily, yet a gunship chases you, oh no this even is scripted, you can't grab that gunship! Hey, you can go into super force mode, you can grab AT-ST's and crush them, those gunships dropping people off, no! Darth Vader comes out, and just lets your Tie Fighter fly away, even though it has been shown YOU CAN GRAB THOSE THINGS IN MID AIR! And of course, since you are a clone, it has to be on Kamino...

Star Wars nerd rage go!

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#39  Edited By sarahsdad
    @Blinck said:
    What annoyed me the most is how extremely overpowered the force is in this game... this is not star wars, it looks like fucking dragonball. The Force in the movies is much more subtle ( except for lightning maybe ) but here is just completely over the top, which really takes away from the star wars feeling IMO . All the freaking effects when you use force push are ridiculous...not to talk about the mega force push in which everything explodes around him...it's just too much. When you are in the gliding sequence he is shooting down tie fighters like he has fucking bazookas in his hands. MEH.  Not sure what to think about the game tbh. "
    I think that's close to the root of the problem, right there. 
    They make the character really powerful, and then, since being an unstoppable god is only fun for so long, there needs to be a challenge. The only challenge they come up with is enemies that specifically block your superpowers. 

I think I'd rather see a game where the enemies are reasonably normal, and the force powers are not so over the top. Give me Obi-wan from the first movie, or even Luke from RotJ. Both skilled, but not so overpowered that there needed to be force-proof enemies.
    Avatar image for almightyseancore
    almightyseancore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By almightyseancore

this has probably been said before but THIS IS FUCKING GOD OF WAR WITH LIGHTSABERS AND FORCE PHYSICS!

thats not entirely a bad thing, the story is good and the graphics are beautiful, and..well...it's star wars!

BUT the entire time i played the demo i was disappointed because i knew i was playing god of war with star wars shits.

the new castlevania pissed me off in the same way. much like darksiders, dantes inferno, and even sonic unleashed. 

QUIT USING THE FUCKING GOD OF WAR ENGINE, SAVE IT FOR GOD OF WAR!!!

you're not fooling anyone!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60

I thought the first one was great, so this one will be no different.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By rjaylee
    @almightyseancore said:

" this has probably been said before but THIS IS FUCKING GOD OF WAR WITH LIGHTSABERS AND FORCE PHYSICS!  thats not entirely a bad thing, the story is good and the graphics are beautiful, and..well...it's star wars!  BUT the entire time i played the demo i was disappointed because i knew i was playing god of war with star wars shits.  the new castlevania pissed me off in the same way. much like darksiders, dantes inferno, and even sonic unleashed.   QUIT USING THE FUCKING GOD OF WAR ENGINE, SAVE IT FOR GOD OF WAR!!!  you're not fooling anyone! "

Holy crap, that is just about the absolute most inaccurate, ridiculous, ignorant, and unintelligible comment I've ever seen. I don't even have the heart to address it because it's frankly not even worth my time or effort.

Anyways, I just played the demo for Force Unleashed 2, and as someone who has only played the Force Unleashed 1, this seems alright. Graphics look a lot prettier, and the controls seem maybe a bit tighter, although I don't like LB as a Dash and as the only Evade option. If anything I might rather have Dash on B/Circle, Force Throw on Y/Triangle, and Force Lightning on LB/LB1. WIth Lightning on a shoulder button, I would still be able to use the right thumbstick to turn and aim, rather than being restricted to only forward/backward movements and left/right strafing. It's pretty annoying not being to able to turn while using lightning, especially considering the multi-target nature of the Lightning.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the camera being adjustable on the right analog being a bit useless? It might help a bit during some of the platforming (although in the demo it's not like there's an awful lot of challenging platforming to begin with) but that is the only reason for it. Having just played Castlevania Lords of Shadow, maybe I just got used to an unadjustable camera that you don't have to deal with, but I feel like if you don't have to deal with the camera in this game, they could relax the control scheme to something easier to manipulate.

Maybe I'm the only one on this, but I just found it difficult to lock on to enemies and target objects/enemies accurately. Not like the game really needs that sort of precision when you can just Force Push or Grip/Throw objects sloppily at everything and still win at the game, but it makes the experience feel a bit stiff and messy a lot of the time.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Getz

It controls better than the first game, though the force throw targeting is still wonky as hell. Targeting is a problem in general really, which basically just boils down to lock-strafing with little in the way of visual feedback on what it is you're targeting and no way to switch between various targets. Combat feels mashy, with over-long combos that are completely unnecessary since normal enemies die from one hit (as they should, we're talking about lightsabers here). I'd never in a million years pay 60 dollars for it, but maybe down the line when it's 20 bucks used. Or I'll just rent it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.