Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Following the events of the first game, Darth Vader clones a replacement Starkiller, who again rebels against his master.

The Force Leashed

Avatar image for sapphire_warlock
    Sapphire Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Sapphire Warlock

One thing I love about games is that it puts you into another world. Let's you escape reality for just a moment and be someone or something else for just a moment in time. I love movies for the same reason as well. They let you escape for just a moment and enjoy a storyline. I believe that one of the best stories that I have encountered in my lifetime is Star Wars. The films are adventurous as well as insightful to many prospects we all face in life, even if it takes place in a galaxy far, far away.

Now before you start saying, "oh this is just another fan wanker bashing" post, let me just say that this is not it. I thoroughly enjoyed the game for the short time I played it. My review of this game is not a happy one but it's not a bashing one. I will try to look on the light side of things and enjoy what little LucasArts has given us here as well as illuminate what they managed to not do for us. 

The Force Unleashed, the first game, was a big event for me. After having finished the prequel trilogy with an air of sadness, I always wondered, "hey, what happened in between those 20 some odd years of time?". We Star Wars fans rarely got a look at what happened in between Episode 3 and 4. This game was suppose to show you some of what happened and for me, that's what it did. It lightened the road and made connections to the movies that I thoroughly loved.  Granted, at some points the game was glitch-y but I overlooked that for what I really bought it for: The story.

In my opinion, the story of a game or even a movie is the heart of it all. It's what makes you keep playing or watching; Wondering, what's going to happen. That being said, The Force Unleashed's story was amazing. From the moment I played it in my Xbox 360, I was captivated by these characters and what was their purpose in the end. The story made the game better.  As for the controls and graphics, that shit was legit. It was some of the best stuff I had seen on a video game. Felt very real and very "textured".

Back to the story. The thing the Force Unleashed accomplished was showing you, a Star Wars fan, how the Rebel Alliance was officially created. Galen Marek/Starkiller sacrificed himself to save these people and his sacrifice inspired a whole rebellion to keep pushing forward. In my opinion, that is something of near "epicness", if you will.

When that game ended, I felt happy and relieved to know. When they announced The Force Unleashed II, I started to wonder how that would work. And with the first trailer, it certainly sparked my interest as to how Galen Marek survived. I watched more and more trailers as they came out and got a basic plot outline:  He was a clone struggling with the memories of his original host...or was he a clone? That was something the creators tried to touch on, but missed touching base on with this story.

The game finally came out and like I always do, I rented it before buying. To get a feel for it. I finished the game within 1 day and a couple hours. When it ended (canonical light side, F.Y.I.) I literally said, "That's it? Those 4 levels were all?" I felt played with myself. They never answered my big question: Was he a clone?  The entire time, he (Marek) ran around the game yelling "Where is she!?!" And when he found her, nothing happened. Rahm Kota was brought back but for reasons, unbeknown to me other than to serve as a light side mentor. His presence didn't feel needed within the game and his introduction had little effect. 

The good aspects of this game were, once more the graphics and controls. We really got a good look at the worlds in which we visit and the character designs seem very well kept from the last game.

I feel this game could have been a real contender for one of the best written games (as the first one received an award for it's storyline) but instead we received they equivalent of a 2 page, short story sequel to a 300 page novel. I feel that LucasArts owes the fans of the series an apology for letting us down. The people over at LucasArts seems to always ignore what works best for them and how to use that. As with Lego Star Wars and Star Wars: Battlefront. And, of course, Kyle Katarn's adventures in the Jedi Knight series. Very good games, never really expanded upon.

All in all, I would say, if you're considering buying this game, wait until it goes down significantly in price and then buy it. For now, I'd say rent it.  The force is definitely leashed with this game.

Sapphire Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sapphire Warlock

One thing I love about games is that it puts you into another world. Let's you escape reality for just a moment and be someone or something else for just a moment in time. I love movies for the same reason as well. They let you escape for just a moment and enjoy a storyline. I believe that one of the best stories that I have encountered in my lifetime is Star Wars. The films are adventurous as well as insightful to many prospects we all face in life, even if it takes place in a galaxy far, far away.

Now before you start saying, "oh this is just another fan wanker bashing" post, let me just say that this is not it. I thoroughly enjoyed the game for the short time I played it. My review of this game is not a happy one but it's not a bashing one. I will try to look on the light side of things and enjoy what little LucasArts has given us here as well as illuminate what they managed to not do for us. 

The Force Unleashed, the first game, was a big event for me. After having finished the prequel trilogy with an air of sadness, I always wondered, "hey, what happened in between those 20 some odd years of time?". We Star Wars fans rarely got a look at what happened in between Episode 3 and 4. This game was suppose to show you some of what happened and for me, that's what it did. It lightened the road and made connections to the movies that I thoroughly loved.  Granted, at some points the game was glitch-y but I overlooked that for what I really bought it for: The story.

In my opinion, the story of a game or even a movie is the heart of it all. It's what makes you keep playing or watching; Wondering, what's going to happen. That being said, The Force Unleashed's story was amazing. From the moment I played it in my Xbox 360, I was captivated by these characters and what was their purpose in the end. The story made the game better.  As for the controls and graphics, that shit was legit. It was some of the best stuff I had seen on a video game. Felt very real and very "textured".

Back to the story. The thing the Force Unleashed accomplished was showing you, a Star Wars fan, how the Rebel Alliance was officially created. Galen Marek/Starkiller sacrificed himself to save these people and his sacrifice inspired a whole rebellion to keep pushing forward. In my opinion, that is something of near "epicness", if you will.

When that game ended, I felt happy and relieved to know. When they announced The Force Unleashed II, I started to wonder how that would work. And with the first trailer, it certainly sparked my interest as to how Galen Marek survived. I watched more and more trailers as they came out and got a basic plot outline:  He was a clone struggling with the memories of his original host...or was he a clone? That was something the creators tried to touch on, but missed touching base on with this story.

The game finally came out and like I always do, I rented it before buying. To get a feel for it. I finished the game within 1 day and a couple hours. When it ended (canonical light side, F.Y.I.) I literally said, "That's it? Those 4 levels were all?" I felt played with myself. They never answered my big question: Was he a clone?  The entire time, he (Marek) ran around the game yelling "Where is she!?!" And when he found her, nothing happened. Rahm Kota was brought back but for reasons, unbeknown to me other than to serve as a light side mentor. His presence didn't feel needed within the game and his introduction had little effect. 

The good aspects of this game were, once more the graphics and controls. We really got a good look at the worlds in which we visit and the character designs seem very well kept from the last game.

I feel this game could have been a real contender for one of the best written games (as the first one received an award for it's storyline) but instead we received they equivalent of a 2 page, short story sequel to a 300 page novel. I feel that LucasArts owes the fans of the series an apology for letting us down. The people over at LucasArts seems to always ignore what works best for them and how to use that. As with Lego Star Wars and Star Wars: Battlefront. And, of course, Kyle Katarn's adventures in the Jedi Knight series. Very good games, never really expanded upon.

All in all, I would say, if you're considering buying this game, wait until it goes down significantly in price and then buy it. For now, I'd say rent it.  The force is definitely leashed with this game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By falserelic

LOL!!! thanks 4 the info man.I heard this game turned out to be shit.I was like nooooo goddammit it can't be true but it was,Its sad to see that the developers could have done much better with this sequel.The game looks like it was rush and unfinished.On top of that it was short as hell 3 to 4 hours of recycled shit. What were they thinking when they made this game.Didn't they learned from there past mistakes.Instead of improving on there mistakes they made them worse.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By FreakAche

I played the demo. I thought it was alright, but was not overall impressed.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mfpantst

whoops.  huge surprise. 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By WickedCestus

I didn't think the original Force Unleashed had that great of a story. I feel it diminished the scene where Vader overthrows the Emperor at the end of Return of the Jedi. If he was planning to kill him all the time, it takes away the emotion of him killing his former mentor who he respects in order to help his son. This way, he's just kind of an opportunist in that situation. 

Anyways, I also am not going to play Force Unleashed II, because I've stopped caring about Star Wars since then.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By FacelessVixen

Well since most people are saying it, I might as well curve my enthusiasm and look for something else.

Bummer, I was really looking forward to this game.

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JoMate

It sucks so hard that this game turned out this bad! I was really hyped for this game, I even wanted to buy ce edition, but since this game released in the us a few days before it released in europe I told myself to wait for reviews and man am I glad I did. still I feel let down. 

great review by the way!

Sapphire Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sapphire Warlock
    @JoMate: Thank you very much. It's my first review for a video game.

@supermike6: Vader killed the Emperor in the end of the story to save his son. In the case of this game, it seems that Vader was just manipulating Galen, like he tried to do once more to the clone (or orginal...whatever) in this game, but ultimately just use him to do his dirty work and kill him when he's finished.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Cirdain

@sapphire_warlock: 

Guess what. LC is already on the disc. Well at least for the PC version.
    And there is a small download someone made that unlocks it all. 

* Silver saber (Pre-Order item Xbox360 / PS3 exclusive)
    * Yellow saber (Collector's Edition Xbox360 exclusive)
    * MaulKiller costume (Pre-Order item Xbox360 / PS3 exclusive)
    * Deak Starkiller costume (Collector's Edition Xbox360 exclusive)
    * Defend the core Trial (Challenge map)
    * The Trial of Dagobah (Challenge map)
    * Core Destruction Trial (Challenge map)
    * Tower of Death Trial (Challenge map)
    * The Trial of Agility (Challenge map)

Well...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

hilarious title

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oraknabo

I don't care at all about Star Wars or the story this specific game is telling, but when the original was announces, I was hoping it might be as close as I might get to a new Psi-Ops game. Then I played it and was bored to tears. Then I heard about the sequel and thought "hey maybe they fixed the problems with the first one", but playing the demo quickly proved that wrong.  I really don't see any reason to play this game unless you're still a super-hardcore Star Wars fan.

Sapphire Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sapphire Warlock
    @Cirdain:  And...?
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By Cirdain
    @sapphire_warlock: Oh I was like telling people that on the PC version you can download and "intract" it into the pak2.lp and you get the content that was "exclusive" for Xbox or Ps3. I was just informing :)
    Sapphire Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sapphire Warlock
    @Cirdain:  Okay. Sounds fun. I play most of my stuff on Xbox 360. It would be could to get a "patch", per say, for it on PC for Maulkiller. That's like one of the only skins I think would be cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.