Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Alphazero
Land Dammit
Land Dammit
Pull it out of the sky!

Get used to hearing that line from Master Kota. I've been having a great time with The Force Unleashed, but as Jedi Master Jeff reports in his review the difficulty can be pretty uneven. You go from having a blast landing multiple combos on hoards of fool stormtroopers to facing a single boss that just won't fall over no matter what you try.

The most frustrating boss, for me, was definitely the Star Destroyer, so I thought I'd share some advice on how to take it down as the game itself offers little.

The basic plan is to use your unleashed force powers to rotate the destroyer into the right position such that you can pull it down to the surface of Raxus Prime. When you have the destroyer grabbed, you're presented with a diagram of the two analog sticks that allow you to push it right or left, up or down. Easy enough, but the destroyer itself sends an unlimited number of waves of TIE Fighters to try to take you out. You can only take a small number of blasts from those pesky fighters, so while you're hiding from them the destroyer slips out of position.

The trick to this is to take care of each wave of TIE Fighters as quickly as possible, so that the destroyer doesn't drift too far out of alignment. What worked for me was hiding behind the left bit of cover and do my best to use Force Grip to snag a TIE Fighter out of the air in the small window of time it gives you to do that. I would move left after a fighter flew by to the left while experimenting with the timing of the right trigger to find the best time to grab them. Eventually you find the rhythm of it. Once you've grabbed a TIE Fighter, try your best to maneuver it back to the middle of the screen so you can throw it at another and get two, or more, for the price of one. Grabbing those floating engines and flinging them into a TIE Fighter works as well, but the aiming is odd. I found dragging it to the middle of the screen and giving it a fling right as a fighter cruised by worked best for that.

Once you have the Star Destroyer grabbed, and close to position, it seems to float off again without allowing you to pull it any closer to the ground. The analog stick diagram says you're fine, so what gives? It turns out even when you're being told to leave both sticks in the neutral position, you sometimes need to move things a little bit more. There's a color around the stick diagram that gives a bit more information. If it's red, you're way off, orange, still off, and there's a yellow/green shade when it's right. Even if the two sticks are shown in the middle, if the surrounding color isn't yellow/green you need to tweak things a bit more to get it right. The last trick is that you need to leave it be for a second in the yellow/green state before it' will signal that it's time to pull both sticks down and make some progress on landing this multiple megaton fish.
Pew Pew Pew
Pew Pew Pew

Because it takes so long to get the destroyer in position, it's tempting to keep pulling it down even while the TIE Fighters are blasting you. I found it didn't help all that much. It worked better to dash off and hide as soon as they started shooting, take them out as fast as possible, and wait for the next round to return to pulling down the destroyer.

It takes about three or four rounds of TIE Fighters to bring it all the way down.

Good luck. The cut scenes are worth it.
bumblebeeman14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bumblebeeman14

You can easily Force Lightning the TIE Fighters when they get close to you.  I think it's much easier than trying to Force Grip  the moving Fighters.  The damn targeting system blips for a mere second. 

CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CactusWolf

"Pull it out of the sky!"

Ugh...

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Thrawn1
bumblebeeman14 said:
"You can easily Force Lightning the TIE Fighters when they get close to you.  I think it's much easier than trying to Force Grip  the moving Fighters.  The damn targeting system blips for a mere second. "
agreed. just about to say that.
deboer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deboer

That part was terrrrible.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By pyromaniac
wordsgohere said:
""Pull it out of the sky!"

Ugh..."
I was ready to kill someone at that point in the game...worst level design ever!!!
TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TheGamerGeek
pyromaniac said:
"wordsgohere said:

Ugh..."
I was ready to kill someone at that point in the game...worst level design ever!!!"
You already know my thoughts of this part of the game.
Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Jeff  Staff

Nice! This took me three or four tries before I finally got the hang of quickly getting rid of the TIE Fighters. You should post this as a guide or offer it up to someone working on a larger TFU full-game guide!

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I was just about to post about this. I am currently stuck on this and man is it frustrating. I haven't really had any trouble with this game up to this point. Cool idea but wicked tough. I'm sure i'll get it eventually though.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By Alphazero
Jeff said:
"Nice! This took me three or four tries before I finally got the hang of quickly getting rid of the TIE Fighters. You should post this as a guide or offer it up to someone working on a larger TFU full-game guide!"

Thanks! I'll post it over as a mini-guide. If someone wants to snag it as part of a bigger guide, go ahead.

I tried lightning but didn't get it to work. I'll add that in too. Once you get the knack of it, flinging TIE fighters into each other is really a good time.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I wish I could of found this thread when I was pulling down the star destroyer.  I never even thought of using lightening on the Tie Fighters.  I got it done, but not without raising my blood pressure.  I love the final sentence: "the cut scenes are worth it" -- that's what I have to keep telling myself so that I will finish the game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

The only way I could get through this segment was to use lightning on the TIEs.  The targeting system in Force Unleashed is pretty crappy to say the least, so getting the feel for when lightning will strike one of the fighters and not a piece of floating junk is a real art form.  I usually just ended up tapping the lightning button a couple of times, I'd waste one burst of lightning and the second would usually hit.  It helps to watch for the pattern of where the TIE fighters are going to turn next.

In case I wasn't blunt enough, anyone involved with the design of the Star Destroyer level should be fired.

Old_Snake864

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Old_Snake864

i wish the psp version had this but it just shows u it in a cut scene... =(

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#14  Edited By sarahsdad

See that's funny. I'm reading all these comments about how horrible it is, and one of my first thoughts is "thank God in the PSP version I didn't have to do that cr@p".

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By albedos_shadow

Lightning definitely works much better than Grip. Also, you can basically ignore what the gamesuggests for the right analog stick. Follow the diagram for the left stick, and just quickly rotate the right stick until it is in place to pull down.

YellowChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By YellowChu

Yeah, I've been stuck on this Star Destroyer since last night. My game finally ended up glitching, causing my character to run in place and slide off the platform.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By TyrellOCP

Step 1: begin to pull the Star Destroyer and follow the directions on the screen

Step 2: when the Tie Fighters star the fire, stop pulling and use force grip on the first few. Because they're so tightly grouped you can't miss and probably won't get a piece of flying junk. Once you've grabbed one let go and it'll just fall out of the sky, you can do this a couple of times before they fly off for another pass at you. This also means that you'll have used less energy and will be ready to zap the first fighter that comes round (move as far as you can in whichever direction they're flying for maximum accuracy).

Step 3: when the last one is down start all over again. rinse, lather and repeat

good luck!

this is a very annoying part of the game, but once you've done it it's so satisfying to watch that bitch of a ship crash into the ground. i'm still glad they put it in the game, we all saw it in the trailer and we'd have hated time if they'd denied us that we'd have hated them for it.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Player1

Ya man, Ill defiantly use this when my game comes in. Make this a guide. 

Thing2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Thing2

This part of the game is going to make me cheat or give up....I can't believe ANYONE thought this was a gamers idea of "fun."  Ridiculous isn't the half of it....

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Demilich

I just beat this shit. Took me two attempts. It's not hard at all, just patience-testing (read: EXTREMELY TESTING). It took a long time since you only have [literally] a few seconds seconds in between waves to pull it down (after repositioning). The whole time I was talking out loud to myself saying the same words over and over;

"Why would you do this... Why would you make this...".

Rotzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Rotzo

To save a couple seconds after each wave of tie fighters, you can just begin pulling without running back to the center of the platform.  The game just brings you back there automatically.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187

The best way to beat the Star Destroyer is to take the game back to the store, tell them it's defective, get a refund, and buy something better.  =  /

But seriously...the best way I've found is that usually the TIE fighters come at you in a pattern of 4 on one side, 3 on the other.  Stand to the left, and wait for them to come by.  Just force lightning them.  After that, get to the Star Destroyer.  Level it out and all that, but when it asks you to stop pushing, just keep pushing.  By this time, the TIE fighters should be coming back around.  Let go of the Destroyer, follow the beginning of this paragraph again.  After that, the Star Destroyer shouldn't have moved too far to the left to fuck you up, and you just keep repeating these steps until you bring the fucker down.

Very simple fight.  Got it all in one LOOOONG attempt before my brain started kicking in.
LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By LightYagami245
pyromaniac said:
"wordsgohere said:

Ugh..."
I was ready to kill someone at that point in the game...worst level design ever!!!"
I agree. If my playing the level was a game, a bar that would say "Kill Intent" would almost be at maximum. Seriously, I was about to throw my controller at my TV.

Worst level design so far. I think it might be tied with Unlimited SaGa.
Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's pretty amazing that the developers took what should have been one of the coolest moments in the game and made it the most infuriating and badly designed. I seriously want to break the damn disc.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Jedted

I don't know if anyone's tried this but i fully updated my Fortitude and Resiliance and i managed to pull down the destroy as the tie fighters were comming at me.  My health was in the red i believe and i was playing on Apprentice difficulty, dunno if you take more damage on harder levels though.

But i totally agree that cut scene is worth all the frustration.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.