Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Beta testers...Does this seem like a competent MMO?

NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By NickyDubz

I'm a fan of wow but came in to the game late, I want to experience an MMO from its hilarious broken release to a couple expansions. Do you guys think this will be a title that can do that for me or will it die within a month? I'm not asking if it will beat wow or will be a Game of the year I just wanna know if it is good enough for what it is an MMO in space.

TurkFebruary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TurkFebruary

If you're a fan of WoW I don't see why you wouldn't like swtor. I wouldn't call it a clone but the gameplay is very similar (which is a good thing to me). If any mmo coming out in the near future has the potential to last for a long time it's either this or gw2.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

It won't die in a month,  the star wars fanbase will always be there and keep it fairly alive...  if your a new mmo player this will seem pretty solid and fun to get into.   But if your a veteran of the genre and don't care about the Star Wars lore then it will play awfully familiar to other MMO's...    It's not broken, it's fairly well built but it's not an evolution in the genre by any stretch.  

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed

I have tried a few MMO's. Played WoW for a month or two, hated it. Art style just nagged me to death, and the boring ass quests. After that i tried out Age of Conan, the universe was pretty nice, and the game looked good, but it didn't keep me interested, i think on Steam it says i played it for 70 hours or around that mark. Also tried Lord of the Rings Online for around 2 hours, and almost threw up in my mouth a little.

However i really dug TOR, the art style fits pretty well, and i love that the entire game is voices, makes a huge difference for me. Not to mention the awesome music. In terms of gameplay it plays pretty much like any MMO really. But the fact that you could solo the game with you and your companion, makes it great for me too, cause its not every day i feel like getting online in a game and having people spam me with text.

And i guess being a big fan of Star Wars, and Knights of the Old Republic, helps out a lot too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only reasonable criticism for SWTOR is that it isn't trying to do anything sandboxy or revolutionary in the MMO space.  This is a lavishly produced themepark MMO, and very iterative on WoW.  Considering that WoW was a lavishly produced iteration on EQ, I don't see the controversy in such a statement.

If you like Star Wars or WoW, you will enjoy your time with TOR.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

From what I've played, it's fantastic. It certainly deserves a proper loyal fanbase. That doesn't mean that it'll get one. Bioware has to stay on top of their community's desires and release content at an astounding pace to keep people playing. Essentially, they have to do what Trion is doing with Rift right now--everything in their fucking power to keep that boat afloat.

This isn't really a question of quality, at all. This is a question of the fanbase sticking with the product.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ares42

Only played during the "open" beta, but got up to 35. Unfortunately you don't have the experience, but it really reminds me of WoW at launch. It's well produced but still very unrefined. One of the things that excites me the most is the fact that there's still quite a lot of mystery regarding mechanics etc (mostly attributed to the lack of combat log so far). I see a lot of potential and unlike most other modern MMOs there are still a lot of questions to be answered. That could easily mean that once the answers arrive I will have no interest in the game though, but from what I've seen so far there's at least a small chance that they can do something great with it. The foundation is there and works well, but only time will tell if they will be able to keep people interested past the "launch-window".

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

I like the game a lot, even more than I like WoW, but that might just be because the Warcraft universe and the so called "lore" doesn't interest me that much.  
    First off, I'm loving the art style since it's not that far off from what the original Kotor 1 or 2 had so that's a plus.   

The fact that there's voice acting for all of the quests and you can have an actual conversation with the guy giving you a quest and having that conversation impact how some quest will turn out at one point is great. Also doesn't hurt that each class has their own unique story. As far as content go there seems to be a lot of it. I mean 5 chapters in total (not including the prologue, I think).  

So yeah, 5 chapters and the level cap is at 50 (at the moment), got to level 25 and was still in Chapter 1 so there's a long way to go yet for me. The game plays as any other MMO would, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Make it better? sure you can do that, but how?.. Oh, you move and shoot at the same time? Well, sure, that's a big plus at least. The way the quests work when you're grouped up with people too seems awesome, especially doing the Flashpoints.  

I don't even know why I'm rambling here, nobody is gonna read or care about this junk-written-by-a-tired-guy. 
    The one thing that has me really hooked about SW:TOR is the story though, of all the classes and the different options and the Companion quests too. Playing as a Jedi Knight just made me super interrested in the Second Companion and her story since some pretty cool things happened with her. 

Now a thing that made me love it even more were all the call backs to characters and events of Kotor 1 (and.. ugh, again.. Kotor 2).  

Ok,, i'm done. Waste of space! coffee and then more work!

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysteriousFawx

Simply put, its a perfectly competent mmo, if that is enough for you, go ahead. In terms of something I'm paying monthly for and investing a lot of time in, I'd aim higher than 'competent'. Hence why I'll wait for the launch period to pass and the kinks to be worked out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

The only reasonable criticism for SWTOR is that it isn't trying to do anything sandboxy or revolutionary in the MMO space. This is a lavishly produced themepark MMO, and very iterative on WoW. Considering that WoW was a lavishly produced iteration on EQ, I don't see the controversy in such a statement. If you like Star Wars or WoW, you will enjoy your time with TOR.

Well, WoW has been around for seven years, and EverQuest much longer than that (and it's still kicking). While it's perfectly reasonable to iterate on the formula, iteration on WoW and by extension EverQuest is nothing new. I'd have thought that more developers would at least try to break away from that formula; a game with as much financial backing and development resources as TOR should have been able to do more of its own thing.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cloudenvy

Competent is exactly the word I would use to describe that game.

That or mediocre.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gargantuan

The dialogue was the only thing that impressed me, everything else felt very mediocre.

Amerist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Amerist

Competent? Sure. It's definitely a functioning MMO; but I think that way to much time and production value had been spent on making the game all about the single-player narrative and too little time looked into giving people a reason to team up and stay together.

Flaspoints felt like I was an interactive Star Wars episode, and they immediately broke up afterwards; there's little sense of group accomplishment and it's all about moving the plot forward.

I saw an article hearken it to "Massively Single Player" and it felt exactly like that -- there's a community there, but it really feels massively solo.

I laud BioWare for the interesting conversation mechanism they introduced and I hope that they produce a functional group-finder that includes beacons from friends (i.e. Friend X is looking for a group for Y) so that people have a reason to find one another again in the game. ξ

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rattle618

If you wanna jump on the train to the future I would suggest Guild Wars 2, but TOR is a fine old school MMO experience and if that is what you are looking for you will enjoy it. Dont worry about it lasting a month, it will go at least a year :)

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

I'd approach it as a singleplayer game first, and multiplayer second. If you do that, you'll accept the game and enjoy yourself.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's definitely competent. It's decently fun to play, seems like there's a lot of content and the story stuff is genuinely pretty good.

But competent is about as far as it goes. It does nothing new or particularly exciting (aside from presentation) and "WoW with lightsabers" sums it up perfectly. If that floats your boat, you should have fun.. But there are MMO's coming that break away from many of these tired conventions and I think ToR is going to become dated really fast. I'm also a firm believer that subscription based games are a dying breed. I don't see why you should pay monthly for this, when you can play better games for free.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funkydupe

I will play the stories that interest me and then I will be done. Within the first 30 days I'm sure.

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pandashake

It's competent enough, but I don't see the lasting appeal. I've been out of the wow addiction for 2 months now and if you want to play an mmo that's not wow, this is probably it. The group instances are interesting where everyone gets to join in on a dialog cutscene, but I have noticed that a majority of the mobs do not move. Except for ones patrolling, they all just stand there in groups of three until you aggro them. It's kind of silly when the narration of the flesh raiders are monsters terrorizing the towns folks, but they're all just chilling in the field until you go slaughter them all.

Dialogues gets tiring fast too especially if you're not doing main quests. Whenever I got to a new area, I would usually get all the quests available, do them all then turn them in for a rewarding experience. Here I actually dreaded having to turn them in since you'll have to sit through 5 people making long winded speeches that can be summed up as a thank you.

Having a companion is a fun idea and they can sell your vendor trash like in Torch light. I'll probably get the game then stop after seeing the main story.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It's fun, pretty, immersive and very addicting.

I'm already certain I will lose a lot of time in this game.

I'm just not seeing the long term value.
    I'm fine with paying per month for like two characters up to 50...but raiding and endgame seems a little...empty...but I never was much for endgame in mmo's.
    I prefer leveling.

Avatar image for great__defunct__northern
    Great__defunct__Northern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@Marz said:

It won't die in a month, the star wars fanbase will always be there and keep it fairly alive... if your a new mmo player this will seem pretty solid and fun to get into. But if your a veteran of the genre and don't care about the Star Wars lore then it will play awfully familiar to other MMO's... It's not broken, it's fairly well built but it's not an evolution in the genre by any stretch.

I've been a tester for a while, and this is almost exactly how I feel.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Funkydupe

One of the more smooth beta tests I've tested in by far (x2 beta weekends). I wonder how they'll fare on launch day.

Fenris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fenris82

Yes, it's a competent and polished MMO. If you're looking for a well crafted MMO then you should not be disappointed with SWTOR in my opinion.

It's not going to revolutionize the way that MMO's are made but it should be able to deliver a pleasant playing experience for people that enjoy Star Wars and/or MMO's in general.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By project343

@Funkydupe said:

One of the more smooth beta tests I've tested in by far (x2 beta weekends). I wonder how they'll fare on launch day.

Bioware is doing everything in their power to spread out the population hitting the servers. Everything from artificially 'selling out' of digital copies of the game to the week-long pre-order early access spread. According to their estimates, the insane-o beta weekend had significantly more traffic than they expect their launch to have. And those servers held up really well. So this is looking pretty good.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Funkydupe

First impressions matter intensely, at least for me personally.

If I've bought the game and all I faced was crap and annoyances, I'll feel less inclined to pick it back up after a month or two even though I'm fully aware that the game most obviously must have improved by then. There are new games coming out all the time and looking back is something I find myself doing less and less. Sure, going back to those old classics, yes, but those MMOs that used to suck but might not suck so much anymore? Nah.

crackyhoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crackyhoss

Yea I agree with the general consensus... this isn't a game-changing MMO, but it definitely has staying power. Been in beta for a few months, and I've since preordered the game. Very excited for release, and very excited to be a part of this community.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hunkulese

Do you like Star Wars? Do you like WoW?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Funkydupe

Do you like Star Wars? Do you like MMOs as they've been designed and defined by gamers for the last ten years?

Most importantly: Do you like baseball bats? Because lightsabers are bludgeoning type weapons in The Old Republic.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Seppli

@Brodehouse said:

The only reasonable criticism for SWTOR is that it isn't trying to do anything sandboxy or revolutionary in the MMO space. This is a lavishly produced themepark MMO, and very iterative on WoW. Considering that WoW was a lavishly produced iteration on EQ, I don't see the controversy in such a statement. If you like Star Wars or WoW, you will enjoy your time with TOR.

In most aspects, except storytelling, SW:TOR seemed several steps behind WoW's design templates. Blizzard's questdesign is way past what I've seen in my brief stint with the SW:TOR beta weekend. I'd hardly call that iterative on WoW. More like playing catch-up.

I'll likely be playing SW:TOR on the 13th. Though right now it feels like an upcoming chore, like having to do laundry, rather than something I look forward to. I'm just not into WoW template MMOs anymore.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Funkydupe

@Seppli: Seppli, its of course none of my business, but if you find a specific video game tedious why do you play it? It just doesn't makes sense to me that's all.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Giefcookie

Its in my opinion the most competent MMO since WOW. Maybe a little lacking in content but any MMO launching now is bound to be compared to a 7year old game.

They dont break any new ground but its really well made and enjoyable.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By matt

@Seppli: I'm curious. When you say

SW:TOR seemed several steps behind WoW's design templates. Blizzard's questdesign is way past what I've seen in my brief stint with the SW:TOR beta weekend. I'd hardly call that iterative on WoW

what quests exactly are you referring to?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seppli

@Matt said:

SW:TOR seemed several steps behind WoW's design templates. Blizzard's questdesign is way past what I've seen in my brief stint with the SW:TOR beta weekend. I'd hardly call that iterative on WoW

Many quests I've experienced in SW:TOR feel very much like 'stand-in-line-for-your-turn' deals. Respawning cages with imprisoned padawans to rescue. Droid training grounds being activated by a switchboard, one player/group at a time. I've literally had to wait in line on multiple occassions within the first 10 hours of play during my beta weekend.

WoW's gotten very good at masking the wait-in-line nature of their core mechanics. Quick respawns, an overabundance of quest-relevant items and locations, phasing and so forth. Hell - even the much dreaded and sought after high level arena quests felt less wait-in-line than many of SW:TORs quests.

Additionally, Blizzard has developed a tonne of more unique quest mechanics over the years, which they spread all over the gameworld. Essentially minigames breaking up the ever same chores. Their bag of tricks is way more full than Bioware Austin's.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli

@Matt:

Let's not forget this type of miscellaneous quests should be turned into public questchains. Simply because it's way smarter for a game to make players work together, rather than to wait in line for their turn.

Why should I stand in line in front of an empty cage, waiting for a prisoner to respawn into it, so I can rescue him? It should simply be a community effort. We freed the prisoners. Then we escort them home. Then some slavetraders attack them. And put them back in their cages again, if we fail to defend them. Modern mechanics.

Oh well, SW:TOR is what it is and it seems competent enough at it. I just feel it's not enough for this day and age and that the designs and mechanics are two steps behind Blizzard's efforts. But enough talk about what SW:TOR is not. It's not a mechanically modernized MMORPG. At its core, it's just another WoW-template copycat.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Bwast

@project343 said:

@Funkydupe said:

Bioware is doing everything in their power to spread out the population hitting the servers. Everything from artificially 'selling out' of digital copies of the game to the week-long pre-order early access spread. According to their estimates, the insane-o beta weekend had significantly more traffic than they expect their launch to have. And those servers held up really well. So this is looking pretty good.

It's only a matter of time before people who run these games figure out how to launch their game without the servers shitting the bed for the first few days. Aren't some of the Warhammer dudes working on that game too? I'm sure their experience will help.

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Zaph

@Matt said:

He's probably referring to any quest from the last two expansion packs.

If you take away the voice acting from SWTOR, the quests themselves (even 'Story' ones) are very simple and static. While WoW has many issues, it's still the gold standard when it comes to quest design. Their use of scripting, phasing and 'one-off' mechanics allow their quests to 'flow' unlike any other MMO.

Inevitably, all MMO's are a 'grind' (hell, you could even extend that to most RPG's too) and it's up to the developers to hide as much of that as possible using smoke and mirrors. Blizzard are the masters of smoke and mirrors.

Not to say that I won't be playing SWTOR (virtually all my old Uni friends have bought it so I'm jumping back on the MMO bandwagon) but they're relying heavily on voicing acting and cosmetic decision making to make up for shortfalls in their quest design and flow.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli

@Zaph said:

@Matt said:

He's probably referring to any quest from the last two expansion packs.

If you take away the voice acting from SWTOR, the quests themselves (even 'Story' ones) are very simple and static. While WoW has many issues, it's still the gold standard when it comes to quest design. Their use of scripting, phasing and 'one-off' mechanics allow their quests to 'flow' unlike any other MMO.

Inevitably, all MMO's are a 'grind' (hell, you could even extend that to most RPG's too) and it's up to the developers to hide as much of that as possible using smoke and mirrors. Blizzard are the masters of smoke and mirrors.

Not to say that I won't be playing SWTOR (virtually all my old Uni friends have bought it so I'm jumping back on the MMO bandwagon) but they're relying heavily on voicing acting and cosmetic decision making to make up for shortfalls in their quest design and flow.

You say it better than I do...

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By matt

@Seppli: @Zaph: I will give it to you phasing really did make questing better in WoW and it is something SWTOR lacks. However your point about having to get in line to complete objectives I disagree with. While it did happen in SWTOR that's mainly because everyone was making new characters and I personally didn't encounter that problem at all. With WoW you're right, rarely are you waiting to complete objectives but I find that's because no one is questing where I'm questing. It's more of a issue with population (too many people vs not enough) than a issue with quest design. When Cataclysm came out you can tell Blizzard put a lot of effort into quest design but a lot of it was just based on adding simple version of boss mechanics. I think that the way Blizzard improved quests the most was adding a consistent story through each zone with more voice over and SWTOR is taking that further.

On the other side I agree that the side quests in SWTOR are very standard MMO quests and that's a shame but the class quests are really interesting. E.g. In this sith warrior quest I had 3 prisoners and they each told me their story and I had to decide what to do with them. Let them go, kill them or a combat trial. It's quests like that can't be done in typical MMO quest design and I hope there is more of that to come. I guess it all depends on how much you value having full voice over and a story in MMOs. Personally I feel like there is no better way to mask the grind than a good story.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By makari

It's a little lean, at least early on, but it's padded with dialogue and cutscenes which are arguably what you're really coming to the game for (other than yo, it's Star Wars). It has everything you'd expect from a 'modern' western MMO, hits all the beats and doesn't act at all ashamed. If you're the kind that doesn't care about story or lore you might find it a bit thin since you'll be skipping most of the content by fast-forwarding the dialogue.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By project343

@Seppli said:

Many quests I've experienced in SW:TOR feel very much like 'stand-in-line-for-your-turn' deals. Respawning cages with imprisoned padawans to rescue. Droid training grounds being activated by a switchboard, one player/group at a time. I've literally had to wait in line on multiple occassions within the first 10 hours of play during my beta weekend.

WoW's gotten very good at masking the wait-in-line nature of their core mechanics. Quick respawns, an overabundance of quest-relevant items and locations, phasing and so forth. Hell - even the much dreaded and sought after high level arena quests felt less wait-in-line than many of SW:TORs quests.

Additionally, Blizzard has developed a tonne of more unique quest mechanics over the years, which they spread all over the gameworld. Essentially minigames breaking up the ever same chores. Their bag of tricks is way more full than Bioware Austin's.

As an avid SWTOR fan, I'll say that you're not wrong. They're about on-par with Wrath questing. But honestly, all that upfront narrative makes questing and exploration a delight, rather than a chore. That is, I continue questing because I want to hear these stories, not because I want to level up. The well-designed and varied questing of Cataclysm simply makes the chore of questing, well, less painful. And I'll also say that I'm a pretty avid fan of the Warcraft lore. I've played all the games, I generally read quest text, and I've even read one of the Cataclysm books, which I moderately enjoyed.

SWTOR feels like they design the story first, and then come up with appropriate quest objectives that suite the story. If they need to add a little more permanence to the quest for narrative reasons, they'll phase it off it it's own little personal dungeon. Catacylsm, however, felt like they came up with a giant list of wacky quest objectives--like climbing a tree and saving stranded bears by throwing them into a specific safe zone--and designed absolutely narratively-detrimental quest text to accompany it.

vyshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vyshka

@NickyDubz said:

I'm a fan of wow but came in to the game late, I want to experience an MMO from its hilarious broken release to a couple expansions. Do you guys think this will be a title that can do that for me or will it die within a month? I'm not asking if it will beat wow or will be a Game of the year I just wanna know if it is good enough for what it is an MMO in space.

It is difficult to say whether or not this is something you would stick with through a couple of expansions, but it seems to be a nicely produced product from the time I spent in beta, and the various quest lines for each class could soak up a lot of time.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Jayzilla

If you like BioWare conversation trees and companion banter, then yes you will totally enjoy this game. it is formulaic MMO combat. This game could have been free to play and instanced like Guild Wars and I would have totally loved it more, because there is no loot stealing in Guild Wars or Mob stealing. It's also more immersive when there isn't some guy named Xx Legolas xX trolling all chat.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By project343

@Jayzilla said:

If you like BioWare conversation trees and companion banter, then yes you will totally enjoy this game. it is formulaic MMO combat. This game could have been free to play and instanced like Guild Wars and I would have totally loved it more, because there is no loot stealing in Guild Wars or Mob stealing. It's also more immersive when there isn't some guy named Xx Legolas xX trolling all chat.

I don't disagree. But man do they make it easy to hide that chat. They almost tempt you to hide it.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ttocs

As everyone else has been saying, if you are a fan of the pieces this game is made up of (BioWare RPG style, WoW MMO similarities, Star Wars subject matter) then you will love this game. This game is going to be around for a nice long while.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

I used to love wow, I still love Bioware rpgs, but this game wasn't doing it for me.

Mr_Box

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mr_Box

Essentially, what I have been told since day one: "Go in thinking that this is a sequel to 'Knights of the Old Republic' and it is essentially a single player game with multiplayer elements and you will like the game. Go in thinking that this is a MMO in the traditional sense and you will be disappointed." or "Go in thinking it will be garbage and then you will never be disappointed."

Of course, this is all assuming you liked Knights of the Old Republic and if you didn't, why even bother looking at The Old Republic?

@Jayzilla
    said:

I can see where you are coming from, but then it wouldn't be an MMO. Might as well play Skyrim, which is an amazing game, some more and join an IRC chat while playing and that is what it would feel like. I know bad example, but all I could come up with. :<

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By project343

@Mr_Box said:

Essentially, what I have been told since day one: "Go in thinking that this is a sequel to 'Knights of the Old Republic' and it is essentially a single player game with multiplayer elements and you will like the game. Go in thinking that this is a MMO in the traditional sense and you will be disappointed." or "Go in thinking it will be garbage and then you will never be disappointed."

Of course, this is all assuming you liked Knights of the Old Republic and if you didn't, why even bother looking at The Old Republic?

You know, I'm going to disagree with what you've been told. Bioware does a really solid job at hitting their own stride, and hitting the World of Warcraft stride, and maintaining both at the same time.

With their own stride, they nail 8 unique, and fairly compelling stories that seem to have meaningful decisions spread out. The cinematic quality and style is about on-par with their work on Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. Overall, I'd also say that this is probably their best voice-acted game to date. Every now and then, you'll come across that Mass Effect character who makes you cringe, but I've yet to have that experience in SWTOR. The companions, so far, are incredibly compelling. They merge the Mass Effect 2 system of "don't fucking talk to me out in the field, only in-ship/casual place" with the Dragon Age gift system, and throw in a more Dragon Age-style of companion quest thing. And finally, they've got a morality system that is as black-and-white as KOTOR, but presented in a non-slider Mass Effect fashion. Together, all these elements combine together to be one of the most solid, mechanically sound Bioware experiences that I've ever played.

On the MMO stride, they're launching with 17 planets that can range from fairly small and linear to the size of 4-5 World of Warcraft zones stitched together. Planets are presented in a mostly linear progression, but it can be fairly easy to overlevel and skip a planet altogether. Aside from this, they're launching with 3 Warzones (battlegrounds), 15 Flashpoints (dungeons), and 2 Operations (raids). So they clearly have a ton of content, and it's all been compelling thus far. The mechanics are incredibly sound. I think a lot of people were complaining that the combat--with the 1.5 second GCD--is a little slow. But honestly, by level 10, you're fighting 2v5 battles that can be described as nothing short of chaotic. The lack of an autoattack is also an interesting decision, as it gives you a little more freedom on when you would like to add a filler GCD into your rotation, and leaves your companions as the continuous stream of damage that you would want from an auto-attack (although, those companions can be set to healing or tanking, effectively letting you customize your auto-attack). The PVP, so far, has been getting nothing but praise from the community. The bolster system, while not perfect, is keeping queue times at manageable levels. And balance out of the gate seems almost perfect, which is almost unheard of.

I think the only knock you can make against SWTOR as an MMORPG is that the questing content (read: actual objectives, narrative aside) is about on-par with the Wrath questing. This isn't the ridiculous, hilarious, and blissful Catacylsm content, which had a tendency to turn you into a crazy monster every 3 quests, and have you decimate entire villages. But it's significantly more enjoyable than vanilla, and better structured than Burning Crusade.

Finally, there are areas where these two strides work together to create an experience that is truly unlike anything Bioware or the MMORPG gemre has ever put out. I think most of these shocking, refreshing experiences come from the fact that this is the first cooperative modern Bioware game. Being grouped with a person throughout the levelling experience can be incredibly refreshing, as you're constantly bickering over trivial sidequest dialogue, or trying to decide what companion combinations you should roll with. Or even something as simple as walking past a guy and seeing his hollow, dark-side eyes, and know that he's made some nasty decisions throughout his career. Or hanging out with a friend on your spaceship with all your companions there (slaving over your crafting items), and trying to decide what planet to go hang out in. These experiences are completely original, and they're often tragically overlooked when people analyse this game.

A shame. But I hope with the official release almost upon us, people will delve into this experience and give it a genuine try.

TL;DR - game is a fantastic MMO, a fantastic Bioware game, and something completely original and mind-blowing when you combine the two.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.