Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

BioWare Acknowledges The Old Republic’s Lengthy Server Queues

• 158 results
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By dagas

My server seems quite popular, but the wait still hasn't been that bad. Love the game, I'm having a great time with my co-op buddy. We're playing even more than we played Borderlands. We played for 12 hours on Sunday alone. It's not perfect, but I hope the game will continue to get better as the it matures.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Giefcookie

@iceman228433: I havent seen them giving it any crap so far. Maybe I havent been looking hard enough.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Funkydupe

@Gunder said:

@Brodehouse said:

Imagine this, Giant Bomb accentuates the negative about The Old Republic. At this point it's gone from barely concealed to an out and out grudge against a game. Why even bother with a review at this point?

You're a moron. Congrats. Articles like this one HELP the people playing SWTOR: they draw attention to issues and put pressure on companies to actually get their shit together.

Articles like this? Are you kidding me? This article is a result of BioWare acknowledging their situation.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I'm still loving every minute I play <3

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#55  Edited By Dagbiker

I thought the reason they where going to gradually disperses the game was so they they could deal with this, or did that just fall through because of MONEY.

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Skywarpgold

Eh, I just set it and go do something else until I hear the music kicks in. Doesn't really bother me.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Funkydupe

@Dagbiker: Good point. At least they could have had plenty of servers available knowing the surge of people wanting to play, as BioWare are the ones controlling the in-flow of new players.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Funkydupe

@Skywarpgold: I've never seen it as a problem either. Early Access is a bonus arrangement. The game is launching officially December 20th. Plenty of new servers on release day, I wonder?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#59  Edited By MeatSim

Welcome to the world of MMO's at launch.

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Skywarpgold

@Funkydupe: My thoughts exactly! I'm sure they're using this time to adjust and react to all of this.

Avatar image for godsaremonsters
    GodsAreMonsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By GodsAreMonsters

I'v only waited in a queue a couple of times. The longest was maybe 20-25 minutes. Though usually I load right into the game. I'm in a RP server so maybe there's less interest there. Who knows.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#62  Edited By cornbredx

I generally only wait 15 minutes but I have friends who said the que was up to 45 minutes at times.

I haven't seen that though and honestly I play after work for about 5 hours a night (at the moment) so its balanced out imo.

Edit: For all doom sayers I also wanted to point out WoW had similar wait ques for about a year after it launched. So... ya...

gorehorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By gorehorn

Bioware is facing a serious problem here (and it's probably not the one you're expecting): Overreacting to these queues now might lead to barren servers in a month or two when interest in the game has dropped to an average level. EA learned this the hard way when they launched W:AR three years ago and will probably take a different approach this time around. They'll probably add some more servers over the week to accomodate for impulse buyers and people who get the game as a gift for christmas but overall I expect a cautious approach toward this issue. It's probably better to have some queues at launch (as long as the servers remain stable, which seems to be the case) than to have people stranded in a world where there's no one else to play with come 2012. WoW experienced queues at most of it's expansion launches but in the long run people accept these things if they don't persist.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

So much for that early access.

What are you even trying to say? It's not like you can't play. I just logged into the Giant Bomb server without a queue.

I'm happy for you.

Plenty of people are having queues upwards of two hours though. Which pretty much means that you do not have access to your established character.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Mumrik

Who else think this was intentional?

Lost of people were very sceptical of the games' chances and this makes it look like EVERYBODY WANTS TO PLAY TOR! YAY!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Funkydupe

@Mumrik: But you don't, am I right?

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mumrik

@Funkydupe said:

@Mumrik: But you don't, am I right?

True. But it still wasn't meant as a troll. I'm just curious about stuff like this. It seems like such an obviously easy way to get some Call of Duty-like coverage... It seems to indicate momentum for a game that EA fears might fail. It would make sense to engineer this situation.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By CL60

@Buckfitches said:

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

What are you even trying to say? It's not like you can't play. I just logged into the Giant Bomb server without a queue.

I'm happy for you.

Plenty of people are having queues upwards of two hours though. Which pretty much means that you do not have access to your established character.

And there's also many people playing? So it's incredibly stupid to say "So much for that early access." ...

If you don't want queues, don't participate in an MMO launch. Simple as that.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Dunchad

I guess this is US-only issue? I got in on 15th and picked a server that just had come up. It's been almost a week now and I have never run into a queue when logging on.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By CJduke

I havent had to wait at all

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mewarmo990

@Buckfitches said:

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

I'm happy for you.

This. Had connection error codes (that is, can't even queue in the server) after my only successful attempt on the first day of Early Access, until it finally went through last night (and even then I had to wait over an hour). Basically lost the entire period that I pre-ordered for. Oh well.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

I'm happy for you.

And there's also many people playing? So it's incredibly stupid to say "So much for that early access." ...

Are you joking, or what? Some people legitimately cannot play when they are supposed to.

Maybe you have no issue, but a lot of the EU servers are messed up, and a lot of players are affected.

Avatar image for godsaremonsters
    GodsAreMonsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By GodsAreMonsters

@RsistncE said:

lol at having to wait in a queue to play a game that you not only paid for once, but pay for monthly

this of course doesn't matter to star wars fans because they'll happily eat up whatever lucas shits out onto their dinner plates

I'd love for you articulate all the ways in which ol'Georgy Lucas was involved in the creation of this game. Don't be shy. One of the things I've enjoyed about this and the previous Old Republic games is that they have been Star Wars without that Lucas stink all over them. As to your first "quasi" point. Its a game that isn't released yet. It is still in it's "up to 5 days" early access phase. We'll have to see how it goes after launch. But so far it has been pretty successful for what may be one of the largest mmo pre-launches. Once people are a month in and they're waiting in crazy queues then your dismissive remark will be valid. But fingers crossed that you will continue to be wrong.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By CL60

@Buckfitches said:

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

I'm happy for you.

Are you joking, or what? Some people legitimately cannot play when they are supposed to.

Maybe you have no issue, but a lot of the EU servers are messed up, and a lot of players are affected.

Way to leave out the other part of my post

If you don't want queues, don't participate in an MMO launch. Simple as that.

I'll say again, it's silly to say "So much for that early access" simply because the launch has queues.. >.>

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Corvak

Queues weren't on every server. People massing onto certain servers because their friends are there, or because it has a cool name, will result in queues. If you're making a new character....pick a low population server. It's your own fault if you roll on a queued server and *shock* find yourself frequently waiting.

My server has not had a queue for the entire Early Access period.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By pw2566ch

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

WTF? There's a Giant Bomb server?

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@CL60: Nice stealth edit there, buddy. I actually quoted your entire post.

And no, it's not silly at all. For some people, the "early access" was the thing that made them pre-order. They aren't getting what Bioware promised.

And here you are, defending the game with: "bu-bu-but it's an MMO guys!"

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By CL60

@Buckfitches said:

And no, it's not silly at all. For some people, the "early access" was the thing that made them pre-order. They aren't getting what Bioware promised.

But they are getting the thing Bioware promised... There's just a queue... which is standard fare. Crying over a queue to the point of saying "So much for that early access!" during a massive MMO launch is beyond pathetic. There are very few servers with massive queue times, and those servers are servers that have been declared the Australian servers. Every other servers wait is 30 minutes to an hour most of the time. While a lot of the time, there is no queue at all. It's not like nobody is playing, or can't play like you are trying to make it sound.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#79  Edited By White_Silhouette

@CL60 said:

@Buckfitches said:

But they are getting the thing Bioware promised... There's just a queue... which is standard fare. Crying over a queue to the point of saying "So much for that early access!" during a massive MMO launch is beyond pathetic. There are very few servers with massive queue times, and those servers are servers that have been declared the Australian servers. Every other servers wait is 30 minutes to an hour most of the time. While a lot of the time, there is no queue at all. It's not like nobody is playing, or can't play like you are trying to make it sound.

Wait I'm confused the servers with the long wait time are for the country that has yet to get a release date and confirmation it's actually coming out there?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gunder No, a bitch session doesn't achieve anything constructive, especially when the devs are already aware of the issue. This is just a convenient way to tear down a game they've been talking mess about for over two years now.

Maybe cool down on the personal attacks.
    Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By White_Silhouette

@CL60 said:

Australians are still playing, and for MMOs they pick a server, and all roll there. It happened with WoW too.

So were you able to even pre-order in australia or did you have to pre-order from another region and use that code?

I'm thinking Bioware is having bigger issues with the EU servers then they were having with the NA servers. What ever the reason. Ever time I see them add servers the majority seems to be in EU.

edit: Nevermind I found out how.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#82  Edited By delta_ass

My character's on The Swiftsure and last night's queue was 850.

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By dvdhaus

Server times and lag have been horrible for me. I got into the Giant Bomb server the first day, after that the queue times were too long for me to wait so I rolled another character on a different server. Found a server with good times and less lag. Other people on the server experiencing the same lag. We were basically giving each other tech support. People with up to date machines having to run the game on Low just to cut the lag is weird right?

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#84  Edited By Levio

@Corvak said:

Queues weren't on every server. People massing onto certain servers because their friends are there, or because it has a cool name, will result in queues. If you're making a new character....pick a low population server. It's your own fault if you roll on a queued server and *shock* find yourself frequently waiting.

My server has not had a queue for the entire Early Access period.

Not such a great idea. I'm not playing TOR, but I can tell you from my WoW experience that low population servers can basically die from the lack of people. Once players notice there aren't enough people to group with, they leave the server, and no one ever joins.

It got so bad Blizzard forcibly merged some servers together, which is about as much fun as it sounds.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Funkydupe

From dev tracker: "As well as bringing the existing game servers back online, from 11PM CST onwards we'll be bringing up a large number of new servers, spread across all three of our server locations (US West Coast, US East Coast and Europe). As always, every server is available to anyone to play on - just select your preferred location (US / Europe) from the tab at the bottom of the server select screen. Even with these additional servers we are expecting queues on the most popular servers, and these queues are likely to persist for a while yet. We are monitoring them closely and raising population caps where necessary, however this is a careful process that is ongoing. Our servers do not have unlimited populations and we want every server to have a healthy population during and after launch. If you are joining the game for the first time during this launch period, or if you are looking for a lower population server to play on, now is the best time to create a character on a new server. We would strongly advise anyone joining the game to not attempt to create a new character on a server that is listed as 'Full', unless you are comfortable with the potential for queues to enter the server."

Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86  Edited By Stubert73

To quote Kids in the Hall: "I'm sorry, but this is a get-together, not a party. Someone has to leave!"

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Bunny_Fire

Due to a run of bad luck it will be 3 to 4 weeks before i can play the MB died on me and getting stuff over christmass is slow.... though on the bight side by that time hopefully the servers will be sorted out :D

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Guess it's a good thing I'm waiting to jump in on this after all

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#89  Edited By project343

Pretty good so far. Worst I saw was a 40 minute wait on Mind Trick (the designated Giantbomb server). Compared to the 17 hour waiting lines that Rift had when it launched, we're doing good.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#90  Edited By Jedted

Haven't had many server lag issues and the server ques are to be expected from an MMO at launch. Yes it's an inconvenience but that's not really stopping me from playing the game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#91  Edited By Seppli

Thing is, you need to fill up servers and then some. A server running at capacity is more profitable than having people spread thin over tonnes of servers. Full servers are also much more fun to play on. It's the smart thing to do - even if it sucks being on a server with a 1,5k players long queue.

My server ususally has about 500 players in its queue at peak hours. Since I know that, I can handle it easily. I just queue up for a slot before I actually want to play. When I want to play after diner, I get into queue before eating diner and not when I actually want to play. I waited for access exactly once. The first time my server had a queue. Now I know what I deal with... and deal with it.

It's certainly better than how they handled Warhammer Online's launch. Lots of servers. A handful of uber-popular ones and the rest died soon after launch had to be merged. Though I guess that reflects on Warhammer Online more than on their server policy, but it certainly played a part. SW:TOR is worlds better than Warhammer Online. Things will definitely go differently this time around.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By NathHaw

@project343 said:

Pretty good so far. Worst I saw was a 40 minute wait on Mind Trick (the designated Giantbomb server). Compared to the 17 hour waiting lines that Rift had when it launched, we're doing good.

Yeah, I play in the Giant Bomb guild, and I haven't seen a single wait time; I play late though, and I have heard people saying about that wait time is the longest they've seen (maybe I heard 45 minutes).

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#93  Edited By korwin

Sounds like the WoW launch.

Pumpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Pumpe

Havnt encountered a queue as of yet and the lag spikes have been so short and few I hardly even notice. Then again, I rolled on a server that was 2 hours old on the 2nd day of the pre-release (it was only "very heavy" in server load).

Heres hoping the, err, regular release (dunno what it should be called) wont screw that up.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Funkydupe

Its launching soon! Good luck servers. Tons of people oscar mike! :)

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By Zurv

i haven't bumped into a que yet. I've been starting starting the morning of the early access. I have about 2 days 12 hours played already.. ugh :)

level is slow. I'd, oddly, enjoying the same a lot (as a single player game...)

Shenanigans19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Shenanigans19

I had issues with queues on the first server I was playing on between 30 mins to over an hour. I luckily hadn't joined a guild yet so I decided to switch to a less populated server and haven't had issues getting on that one this weekend.

smokepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By smokepants

I've been playing on a West Coast server from the East Coast, so I've had a nice headstart on the rush and the most time I've spent waiting is around 10 minutes. But still, this is an intrinsic problem with forcing everyone to hitch their wagon to a specific server. If the characters were free-floating entities, then they would have a much easier time scaling the service to meet demand. The way it works now where they have to overbook servers to ensure that enough people are playing at a given time is something that they really should have done away with.

I know this is the traditional way MMO's are done and it's supposed to help foster communities and allow for reputations, but I question how effective it really is at doing that. I don't see how it's worth the price paid in terms of queues on one end of the spectrum and dead servers on the other.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Besetment

I haven't had any queues and I didn't even know there were servers with them. Anyway, the game is more fun than it has any right to be.

hallgren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By hallgren

Patrick,

The server que is the only thing bioware has done wrong with this launch. I think they believed they had the right numbers and the right idea about how many severs to open up but they were off a bit. I was a day one adopter and have created characters on 3 different servers, all of which have nightly ques of anywhere between 10 min to an hour depending on the time of log in!

That being said this game is a as great as I thought it would be. The stories are so great, I love the imperial agent so far, highly recommend everyone trying that character class. With the midnight launch tonight hopefully bioware opens up some more servers and will alleviate the server que's if they do that, I don't see anyway this game doesn't flourish because the lvl of polish and detail is abvsolutely amazing!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.