Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Can you play this game single player?

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Recently for some unexplainable reason and to the old me's dismay, I have gotten caught up in the Star Wars lore, reading and listening to a few books and playing Kotor. So I was wondering since I am not that into MMOs, if this game is worth playing alone for the story aspects? Like any other RPG. I know that Bioware creates really in depth stories and universes that suck you in.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@tothenines: Yes you can but only if you have an online connection.The story is pretty unique for each class in the game but tend to be in the same location for other class stories.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Pazy

Absolutely. There are a couple important story dungeons (if you like Revan specific story) that are not needed for your class or planet story. The group content is not part of the main story and is clearly marked with a giant "Heroic 2+" or "Heroic 4+". Though I am not max level so I cannot tell you how story heavy the expansions or raid content is.

I'm playing through the game just now, though in Co-op which makes it very easy, and I was surprised how story heavy and interesting the non-class quests are. There are a few ones which have no conversation choices and is just someone saying "Someone stole my thingies, get my thingies" but they are a vast minority to quests with some kind of reason and purpose behind them (though much less than Class/Main Quest).

If you can get with the MMO controls and quest design there is actually a lot of story to get in the game and they make it really interesting to follow.

The only downside I have found is that there is only one Republic and one Sith storyline so once you have played as the Jedi Knight (for example) then 90% of the story would be the same as the Jedi Counsellor, Trooper or Smuggler (the Republic classes).

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank you guys, I will check it out.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Pazy

thank you guys, I will check it out.

Unless you have a specific class in mind I would suggest playing all of them to lvl10 (the end of the starting world) because in addition to different gameplay they all have vastly different stories. The Jedi Knight is more of a typical Star Wars played very straight (at least the parts I have seen) with the Jedi Counsellar focusing more on the lore and history of the Order and Republic.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like Pazy said, playing through the starting areas for each class is a good idea so you can get a feel for which class and which storyline you might like best. I think the Agent storyline is really good, although it's the least like a traditional Star Wars story so if that's what you're looking for you might not like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.