Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Dark Side/Light side question

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By fox01313

Still diving into it & happy so far with the imperial agent (esp. the luxury ship you get) but as I want to explore the jedi/sith more I was starting to wonder. If I made a Jedi & just crank out the dark side points, or same with sith going light side, after a certain level one would expect that the side you're fighting on will just turn on you. Maybe I'm just too much into the SW fiction mindset but just curious on if anyone else has tried this to see if the game does anything for doing this (aside from just giving you other gear options)?

I figure that the imperial soldiers or gun carrying rebels will just be shipped out to a remote listening outpost in the middle of nowhere with a droid to talk to if they go against the natural alignment tendencies of that side (rebel & light side or imperial & dark side) so guessing that whatever the game has for possible things to do for gun classes isn't as bad as the force users if anything is done.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Samaritan

It's touched on briefly in this interview (http://www.giantbomb.com/old-republic-new-interview/17-5441/), but the Light Side/Dark Side stuff is more contextualized than that. For example, Light Side Sith choices don't mean you're saving children and bringing food to the homeless, rather it's a lesser of two evils sort of thing. Same would go for Dark Side Republic choices, you aren't murdering babies, you're being selfish or not particularly nice. It's not as black and white as Renegade/Paragon is in the Mass Effect games; though the game would obviously benefit from a "kick dude out of window" button.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Captain_Felafel: They have one. It's called Sith.

Force Choke FTW.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By fox01313

So far with the jedi, have to say that some of the dark side options in the conversations have been fairly routine but for one conversation it's recommended with the jedi knight to go dark (on the quest of rescuing the kid from the flesh raiders in the first planet), no spoilers but the dark side option is well worth the handful of points to see what happens.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Junkerman

@fox01313: People are too caught up in this empire = evil, republic = good mind set. This isnt strictly the case. The only real difference is where the force users are concerned (Sith are one extreme and the jedi are the other) and that the empire practices slavery and views humanoid races as superior. Outside of that, there are "Good" and "Bad" people on both sides.

The republic is bloated with corruption and self-interest; leaving the outer-rim planets to burn. The empire is a very consolidated regime that fiercely looks after and defends its property and civilians mercilessly against aggressors. I have only encountered one Imperial quest without a "Good" outcome; and that was on Tatooine, where I slaughtered a population of Jawas for no tangible reason other then they are inferior.

For the most part though both sides have there good and bad, the empire just deals with perhaps more realistic scenarios in terms of their morality and the fact that chaos ensues when Sith are involved so I wouldnt worry about your faction turning on you because you follow a certain moral compass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.