Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Dear EA, how to save SW:TOR

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Put it on the PS3 and Xbox, their is no MMO (since FFXI) on the 360 people would play it, cut a deal with 360 with a special with gold and tor sub combined. Otherwise you will never make money back with free to play

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Sitoxity

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Put it on the PS3 and Xbox, their is no MMO (since FFXI) on the 360 people would play it, cut a deal with 360 with a special with gold and tor sub combined. Otherwise you will never make money back with free to play

Best be trollin'.

Also, they never said they were going Free-To-Play, and they don't seem to plan on doing it. MMO's don't go on consoles often because it doesn't tend to work. FFXI was hardly successful, just having it on more platforms wouldn't mean more sales, it'd mean a more widespread userbase. It would also take a lot of development time of NEW features away to making the ports. You really want them to take 1 to 2 years out of getting new features, bug fixes and the like for a console version? That's not a smart idea.

They need to sort out the population, that's all. Right now, it's spread across a vast amount of servers. Merges would work, but character transfers will too. Once people get back to populated servers it'll go a lot more smoothly.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Wuddel

SW:TOR is really good. It is hitting all the right notes. Its expanding in the right direction. Adding more content. Their are listening to the community. I played a lot of it (4 lvl 50 characters and quite a bit of raiding of PvP)

The thing is they did not reinvent the MMORPG. Which is what is needed currently. The community wants that, even though they say the opposite. It's like holiday 2006 and people asking for keyboards on their smartphones, but they really want an iPhone.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By connerthekewlkid

yeah im going back once they put in character transfers

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

It's the kindest thing for it.
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Jimbo: please continue to bring up compelling arguments like you do they make you look so mature and grown up

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Jayzilla

I love it. I don't PvP and my friends and I have a guild on a low traffic server so it always runs smoothly and we play it like we play Borderlands. It's like a multi-player KOTOR now! When GW2 comes out we will leave to play that.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wuddel

@Jayzilla: I got to say, that I have a similar situation. We have a small guild of 6 people - 3 people being friends for years. We play on the biggest german server (well within the top 10 of the most populated servers worldwide), with a very big and active community. It's a blast. I couldn't care less if the SWTOR world around us is crumbling.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo
    @connerthekewlkid said:

@Jimbo: please continue to bring up compelling arguments like you do they make you look so mature and grown up

cool looking mature and grown up in the eyes of somebody who types like they were dropped on their head as a baby was exactly what i was going for with that post
    EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EXTomar

The flaw in SWTOR is systemic: They put way to much emphasis in the storyline presentation stuff locking the player into neat but slowly progressing quest chains. That muddles the real core of MMO design which is earning and beating team based goals. Until they address that, it doesn't matter how cheap or what platforms it is on people won't play it for that long.

Edit: And the OP is crazy if they think they can't make back the money on a Free To Play model. Just selling "Boba-Fetta Armor" would probably float them for years.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Grimluck343

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

SWTOR = Saved.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By StingingVelvet

They would make a ton of money from F2P, will probably at least break even through subs and this game would not work on a controller. I know you probably want a console game sequel to KOTOR, but it isn't gonna happen and this isn't that game anyway.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@StingingVelvet: just like other MMO ive noticed it has a sized dedicated fanbase.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Giantstalker
    • Make it free to play as soon as possible
    • Add some kind of procedurally generated PVE dungeons or something
    • Beef up competitive PvP substantially
    • Release content packs, cosmetic upgrades, and xp boosts for cash

Sounds boring but the fact is, the game needs more than just story to break out at all. I had a great three months but the last two of those were just doing operations with my guild.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By iamjohn

@Sitoxity said:

Also, they never said they were going Free-To-Play, and they don't seem to plan on doing it.

You mean aside from making it free to play up to level 15?

Do not kid yourself. This is merely the first step.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Giantstalker: i agree with most of those but the XP boosts for cash

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sitoxity

@iAmJohn: @iAmJohn said:

@Sitoxity said:

Also, they never said they were going Free-To-Play, and they don't seem to plan on doing it.

You do realise World of Warcraft is free to play up to a certain level?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By iamjohn

@Sitoxity said:

@Sitoxity said:

I do (and they let you play more, since the f2p cap for WoW is 20), but I also realize that WoW has almost ten times the subscriber numbers of The Old Republic.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sitoxity

@iAmJohn said:

@Sitoxity said:

@Sitoxity said:

I do (and they let you play more, since the f2p cap for WoW is 20), but I also realize that WoW has almost ten times the subscriber numbers of The Old Republic.

Level 20 in World of Warcraft is around the same as level 15 in SWTOR. The first cap in WoW was 60, not 50. It's around the same amount of content either way. WoW has way more subscribers and has been out a lot longer.

There's no reason that having a trial game like this means they're going Free to Play. If it were, WoW would be already be Free to Play as they implemented this trial years ago.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravenlight

@Jimbo said:

That is the improper way to disconnect a power cord. Millions of people are probably already dead because of your post.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo
    @Ravenlight said:

@Jimbo said:

That is the improper way to disconnect a power cord. Millions of people are probably already dead because of your post.

On the bright side, they won't have to play SWTOR anymore.
    Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started up my Old Republic launcher and downloaded the updates that I missed. I'm getting that itch to go back which is what I'll do soon. I need to finish my stories for my Sage and Vanguard.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedRoach

I'd play it if they put it on the damn mac. 30% of WoW players use mac hardware, it's an easy port that will bering players in. Every once in awhile I google it and there are tons of people who want to play it on their mac. I want to play it but I don't care enough to go through setting up bootcamp.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stinky

@Jimbo said:

this was done already.

only it was at employees desks.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust

BioWare is ‘Looking at Free-to-Play’ for Star Wars: The Old Republic according to Kotaku (Jun 15), so they're looking at changing the business model to "save" the game. On a side note, TERA, another subscription MMO now offers a 7 day free trial up to level 23. The subscription model is just so dead these days, so I'm not surprised at this inevitable outcome for either game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TentPole

I am curious. What happens to people who actually bought the game when it goes free to play? Is there any "ambassador program" type thing? I don't play MMOs so this question is purely academic.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wuddel

The server transfer stuff had a huge impact on my server (destination server). Its 300 people on the imperial fleet now, on a workday afternoon.

@TentPole said:

I am curious. What happens to people who actually bought the game when it goes free to play? Is there any "ambassador program" type thing? I don't play MMOs so this question is purely academic.

No one knows. Probably some cosmetic/vanity items/stats. Like you got the "Founder" title, when you had an active subscription during the first few months.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187

@Sitoxity said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Best be trollin'.

They are already offering accounts free up to level 15. It's only a matter of time, and honestly, they'd be better off for doing it. Look at a game like Dungeons & Dragons Online. That game could've gone the way of the dinosaurs, but because of excellent support and worthwhile content, they are now putting out their first expansion pack. If anything, that game BECAME viable because it went F2P. If Rift and SWTOR would do the same thing, they would have a much stronger chance of pulling people back in while also offering a solid alternative to WoW...as both games have plenty of content and really are premium quality products. On a F2P level, they would be trouncing every other F2P that is out there...except maybe DDO. Then again, I have a soft spot for that game.

In all honesty, the biggest thing that SWTOR NEEDS to do isn't going to consoles - it's getting their game fixed, bugs stomped out, and the content that they have needs a bit more difficulty. I remember that the only thing tough about the raids in SWTOR was Hard and Nightmare Soa. The rest of it was kind of a breeze. Meanwhile, I never got to check out any of Explosive Conflict, but I heard it was challenging...solely because of the massive healer nerfs that happened in 1.2. THAT is what caused people to quit the game - they released a patch that broke two healing classes, thereby making it nigh impossible to actually put together a group and do anything. By the time they had fixed it, the effort was too little too late.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By White_Silhouette

@TentPole said:

Hard to say. I believe Star Trek online has both a f2p and a subscription model. Where each month you are subscriber it gets you certain perks like a quantity of material or some other thing. If I remember correctly.

Hard to say if/what SWTOR will do with past subscribers. Personally I could see them doing a split model with the f2p and sub model. Where the legacy bar/xp level is only available to those who are on a paid sub. Those who are playing f2p can still purchase the legacy "bonuses" with real money but can't unlock them by playing the for X period of time.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@White_Silhouette: I BETTER GET SOME $200 FIREWORKS

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ExplodeMode

I always wonder why they never aim these WoW clones for a console. I figured the reason they always fail to reach their high expectations is because WoW already exists and people are playing/have played that already. But if someone only plays games on a console, WoW doesn't factor. It seems like a wide open segment.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Grimluck343

@White_Silhouette said:

@TentPole said:

Hard to say. I believe Star Trek online has both a f2p and a subscription model. Where each month you are subscriber it gets you certain perks like a quantity of material or some other thing. If I remember correctly.

Actually I believe STO was pay to play at the beginning. Jeff mentioned on a Bombcast that he had bought the lifetime membership and once they switched to free to play he became a lifetime "premium member" with added perks for having spent the $100+ dollars at launch.

Avatar image for fire_marshall_bill
    Fire_Marshall_Bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better idea. Go back to knights of the old republic.

Bioware, the fans are calling, Bring back Knights

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel

People aren't going to flock to SWTOR just because it happens to be on the PS3 or 360. The game was doomed from the start when the development team chose to stick with the WoW model and not build an experience unique in its own right beyond "Hey guys, voice acting!"

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karkarov

The game is hardly doomed and as far as anyone knows it still has at least 1 mil subs. What they need to do is continue with the server transfers, and if needed merge some servers. Once most of the active servers are high pop things will improve dramatically. Also they do need to toughen up the end game, the operations are just too easy and give too much loot too quickly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By Hailinel

@Grimluck343 said:

@White_Silhouette said:

@TentPole said:

Actually I believe STO was pay to play at the beginning. Jeff mentioned on a Bombcast that he had bought the lifetime membership and once they switched to free to play he became a lifetime "premium member" with added perks for having spent the $100+ dollars at launch.

This is correct. Star Trek Online had no free-to-play option in the beginning. That was only added later.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Grimluck343

@Hailinel said:

@Grimluck343 said:

@White_Silhouette said:

@TentPole said:

This is correct. Star Trek Online had no free-to-play option in the beginning. That was only added later.

What are the odds of you quoting me twice in two different threads. Unless you're stalking me.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By coakroach

It's an MMORPG that is ashamed of being MMO and not technically deep enough to be a modern RPG.

Unplug it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.