Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Gut-Check - "Flippin' Excellent!" or Not?

• 68 results
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

@DonPixel: I might agree with you on that at times, but there were a lot of times already were I thought FUCK YEAH STAR WARS!^^
    Now don't get me started on the Clone Wars...
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Seppli

I'm having an inappropriate amount of fun with SW:TOR. I should not have as much fun as I have - as the jaded and oversaturated MMORPG player that I am.

Just today, on a Sith Inquisitor class quest on Balmorra, exploring a structure eerily reminiscent of something I've done in MIrror's Edge, I just got this tingly fuzzy warm happy feeling - from being in a space which has been built specifically for me.

It's like SW:TOR is full of my favorite WoW quest. The epic hunter quest for Lok'delar and Rok'delar, teaching all the pro-tactics and rewarding iconic epic gear - in quests tailored to specfic hunter skills. Too bad Blizzard never found a way to make the class quests work for them, because Bioware did, and the solo instances are freaking fantastic.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By ikwal

I was not expecting to like swtor this much. I didn't think the story and voice-acting would help to make the quests feel more engaging but I think they really do. Even if all the quests lines aren't all great and is just a fetch quests, I at least get a sense of what's going on, and the genereal conflict on each planet. And to be honest it's not like every non-mmo rpg has very interesting quests if you where to remove all the story from it.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just got my ship and played the first 3 ship missions. It's Flippin' Excellent! Imperial Agent story is very enjoyable so far and I like reading the Datacron codex entries.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SlashDance

Do you guys think it's a game I can play solo for the most part ?

Also, how big is the world ? I saw a couple of areas that looked pretty large on justin.tv.

ateenagedgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ateenagedgirl

Hmm, so I played a day. Pretty good MMO for its target audience, but a mediocre game overall. It does plenty right, and yet it feels hampered by designers (Mythic) that failed miserably before and learned very little from their failings. It's also curiously rough in many places. Bioware should not have plucked "talent" from Mythic. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but they fucked themselves by doing so.

I hope I am wrong, but this may be the most spectacular MMO failure by far and kill the future evolution of the genre for years - if not for good. I fear for the long term future of Bioware leadership after playing this. Again, I hope I am wrong, but I see nothing but a rapid downward spiral for this game.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I wasn't particularly impressed. It's very much a standard MMO, which many will say that's all it was ever meant to be, but it's disappointing they stuck with many of the current trends, just because that's how other MMO's have been. The gameplay really suffers in places. It's well presented and some of the stories are pretty good, but it's all too formulaic, the quests are tedious, the areas aren't interesting to explore, the social interactions are frustrating and the basic gameplay just isn't fun.

If all you were looking for was another WoW, and you're a big Star Wars fan, sure, you'll enjoy it. But it's not a substitute for a proper KotOR 3 like they insisted it would be and it's going to suffer when newer MMO's come out, and all others that still follow these old standards switch to the F2P model.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By darklight

@SlashDance said:

Do you guys think it's a game I can play solo for the most part ?

Also, how big is the world ? I saw a couple of areas that looked pretty large on justin.tv.

There's a lot of quest that you can solo if you want to. You also get a companion so it help the soloing. Of course there's quest and flashpoint (the thing you should not miss, very cool team instance imo) that need a team, but those are called out as so in your quest log as Heroic.

The world are big, when you get your ship you can travel to any planet you want pretty much but you get quest to some of them.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@DonPixel: I might agree with you on that at times, but there were a lot of times already were I thought FUCK YEAH STAR WARS!^^ Now don't get me started on the Clone Wars...

I find that an odd statement, as there's many times I've been playing the game where I've scratched my head because of how much it deviates from established Star Wars lore. I don't really geek out about these things too much, but there's a lot that just doesn't make sense.. Apprentices not having lightsabers, a council of sith, the lack of progression over thousands of years, the sith using a logo that would later be used by the Republic, and so forth.

The Clone Wars on the other hand has been the best thing to come out of Star Wars in years, in my opinion (as long as you aren't judging your whole opinion on that one movie). It expands on a time period we knew little about, it has a lot of good action because it takes place during a war, but also has a strong focus on the actual characters and has time to flesh out a lot of the background guys and the clones, which makes their eventual fates carry a bit more impact. I really can't wait to see them re-do the Order 66 stuff with some actual weight behind it. The way it portrays Anakin in particularly makes a lot more sense than what we saw in the movies. It's not just flashy action or poor kids comedy involving C-3P0. Yes, there are bad episodes, but the show's generally been really good and only getting better.

I think the game would have been a lot more interesting if it had been set during this period.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By darklight

@WinterSnowblind: The logo the sith use is the one they use for the republic later on? Seriously? I did not notice. The logo of the empire I saw ressemble to this

No Caption Provided

The red one being empire. I don't remember the republic using it. But you may be right, I'm just curious.

As for the story, I don't think it's that bad, having no lightsaber at the start or the fact that the SIth have more than one apprentice is something I put more on the fact that it could have happen before this rule were set.

And in the Clone war, there is almost no sith right? 5 or 6? I don't know much of this era beside the movie.

But on topic I really like the game. I like the way the story is driven and the art style of the character. Can't wait for them to extend the idea already in place.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's not exactly the same logo, just similar enough to raise eyebrows. It would be like a country nowadays using a slightly tweaked Nazi flag.

No Caption Provided

The Republic logo in ToR is odd as well, since it's very similar to the emblem the Jedi would later go on to use.. And they're supposed to be neutral and stay out of fighting, so adopting the Old Republic logo for themselves would really throw into question their impartiality.

And yeah, one problem with the Clone Wars period is that they couldn't really do anything with the Sith. But you know, the whole rule of two? The whole fact there's a dark council and millions of sith running around in any period makes no sense (strictly going by canon sources).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@WinterSnowblind are you talking about all the Sith running around in TOR? Darth Bane, who invented the Rule of Two, doesn't appear for another 2500 years during TOR. If you're talking about Clone Wars, there is a difference between Dark Jedi and Sith (as well as other dark side force users). Asajj Ventress is not Sith, merely a Dark Jedi. She demands to Dooku and Sidious that she is Sith and they scoff at her.
    SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

The storylines are good, but I can see it losing my interest once I complete the main quest. The combat is pretty boring.

kilaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By kilaen

Been playing for about a week now. I've had enough. Very disappointed, I wish I'd been able to play during the test weekend and find out just how terrible this game is and save my self $60. It's a hybrid of the worst elements of WoW, KoToR, and Mass Effect. This game will bomb. Free 2 Play by 2013.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By CL60

@kilaen said:

Been playing for about a week now. I've had enough. Very disappointed, I wish I'd been able to play during the test weekend and find out just how terrible this game is and save my self $60. It's a hybrid of the worst elements of WoW, KoToR, and Mass Effect. This game will bomb. Free 2 Play by 2013.

Disagree 100%.

Fenris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Fenris82

It's pretty flippin' okay. I'd less addicting than WoW was initially for me, but more addictive than most other games I've played.

I think I'll enjoy leveling up at least 3-4 characters to max level and see the storylines. Once I'm done with that though, then I'm not sure if I'm up for spending my time raiding, pvp'ing and doing daily quests. But I'll worry about that once I get to that point.

I think BioWare should get credit for producing an overall very polished game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#67  Edited By Jeust

B. Good, but not Flippin' Excellent!

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mazik765

If you like MMO's, this is a really good one. I happen to like MMO's so I'm enjoying myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.