Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Is everyone going to be a Jedi?

• 131 results
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By FunExplosions

I wanna be a droid.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By raiz265

No idea, the most Rogue-like class...

MrTopHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By MrTopHat

bounty hunter or smuggler

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @TaliciaDragonsong:  

I wholly cannot imagine the Twi'lek being restricted to any certain class - too many people want to be Twi'lek in every which way. The community would burst into rage if they were restricted from their weird tentacle headed neeeeeeeds!
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By Demyx

Will not be making a jedi/sith. Not the first time at least.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I already decided long before I saw any actual gameplay that I would roll a bounty hunter as my main.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@DeviantJoker: 

That's what I was thinking, Twi'Leks kinda are the "Night Elves" in a Star Wars MMO I spose!
    And that doesn't do them any justice, Twi'leks rock! :(

But I digress, I mean you never know with MMO's, so far I have not seen anything about SWTOR that I dislike, that's pretty strange for a mmo nowadays!
    KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By KirkyX

I'm going Smuggler. I'd much rather be Solo than Skywalker.

Thing is, this'll be my first proper experience with a MMORPG (I've played some WoW trials and was in the STO beta, but other than that I'm pretty much an MMO virgin), so I really have no idea about any of the game mechanics that are expected from MMOs (at least any mechanics that come in past the really early levels), so I don't really know what I'm going to be doing, gameplay-wise.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Karkarov
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " Twi'leks are a confirmed playable race. I'm not sure if certain Force-Users get a particular style of Lightsaber wielding, but the Consular will at least feature the Double-bladed Lightsaber. I know the Sith Warrior has been shown with Dual Lightsabers, so it is at least designed into the game. "
    Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors can either wield one saber or duel wield two sabers.  Consulars and Inquisitors get single saber or the double sabers.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Karkarov said: 
    Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors can either wield one saber or duel wield two sabers.  Consulars and Inquisitors get single saber or the double sabers. "
    Ah yes, I do remember hearing something along those lines talked about in E3. Thanks!
    SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By SSbabel

Totally agree, the only character's im interested in playing is either a Jedi or Sith.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#62  Edited By Levio

Do people realize there are 2 different jedi and sith?  I'm gonna go for Jedi Counselor with current info, but of course may change with more info.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By Skytylz
    @Levio said:
    " Do people realize there are 2 different jedi and sith?  I'm gonna go for Jedi Counselor with current info, but of course may change with more info. "
    Yah, i'm going with the Sith version of the consular.  I want me some lightning!!!!
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By Bones8677

I want to be a Sith, but I don't want to have an ugly red light saber. I want my Sith to have a Green Lightsaber!
    I suppose to fix this I'll just be a Jedi whose an absolute dick.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Skytylz
    @Bones8677: You could kill a Jedi and use his lightsaber or I bet they do like KOTOR and have the loot system for lightsabers be crystals.  If that's the case, I bet you can change the color crystal, assuming KOTOR lightsaber tech is cannon.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Bones8677
    @Skytylz: For serious? I don't have to be stuck with the red lightsaber? Did Bioware say this?
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Skytylz
    @Bones8677: They haven't said any of this, it's all a guess.  I seriously doubt you'll be stuck with a red lightsaber though.  The crystal thing is probably wrong though, i just thought that'd  be a way to handle it.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Bones8677
    @Skytylz: I've been digging around in Google and it appears that in the expanded universe there have been some Jedi that have used red light sabers. As well as tons of different hues and colors for light sabers. If this is the case then I see no reason for why Sith should be restricted to just red. My guess is that at some point your character will construct a completely new light saber, at which point you may choose the crystal and therefore the color of your light saber. That what I would do if I was designing a game. Make it a huge quest line.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By TheHT

Well, I'll probably be the inquisitor, but it could be hella fun as a trooper taking on other saber clases.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Skytylz
    @Bones8677: Yah, I bet that's exaclty what they do.
    kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kermoosh

i know several friends that want to be evil, i would prob be a soldier

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Karkarov
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @Skytylz: For serious? I don't have to be stuck with the red lightsaber? Did Bioware say this? "
    There is no indication of any kind regarding how crafting works.  You also can not customize a currently existing weapon, a lightsaber is just like a sword in wow, once it is made it is done, you won't be swapping crystals or whatever else this isn't Kotor.  However I could link you a vid of a two man flashpoint mission that ends with a jedi knight boss getting killed and a sith warrior looting his corpse for a purple lightsaber which he then wields.  So yeah, you won't be restricted to one color that much at least is sure.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By Jayzilla

if the consular isn't the "healer class" then yes. if BioWare ditches their own AWESOME RPG character class format for a cookie-cutter MMO format, then you won't catch me playing it period. ArenaNet is dropping the healer altogether with GW2 and making the characters more "jack-of_all_trades" like BioWare did with KOTOR, DragonAge, Mass Effect etc. I just can't bring myself to pay a monthly fee for an MMO if the only parts I will want to play are the storyline instanced parts. Make sense?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bones8677
    @Karkarov: This may not be KOTOR but this game is the continuation of that series.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Karkarov
    @Jayzilla said:
    " if the consular isn't the "healer class" then yes. if BioWare ditches their own AWESOME RPG character class format for a cookie-cutter MMO format, then you won't catch me playing it period. ArenaNet is dropping the healer altogether with GW2 and making the characters more "jack-of_all_trades" like BioWare did with KOTOR, DragonAge, Mass Effect etc. I just can't bring myself to pay a monthly fee for an MMO if the only parts I will want to play are the storyline instanced parts. Make sense? "
    Consulars and Inquisitor's can be main spec healers but they don't have to be.  Smugglers and Agents will have healing abilities as well, and Sith Warriors at least are confirmed to have out of combat healing skills.  Add in everyone has companions and they will have a broad range of skills as well.  So while this is a trinity game it isn't going to be anywhere near as strict as WoW.  To put the biggest highlight on that I should also mention everyone (yes everyone) can rez dead party members but it is an out of combat ability.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By guiseppe

I'll definitely buy and play this game, and I'll play as an "evil" healer if there is such a thing. If there isn't, I'll probably go with a Sith.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By penguindust

I'm probably going to be a Jedi Counselor my first time through, and then after that I might try the Sith Imperial Agent.  That class isn't something which is quite as recognizable in Star Wars mythology, so I am intrigued by it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By crusader8463

Not I. The Jedi/Sith classes seem to be the least interesting to be honest. Though I will probably make a Sith at some point as I prefer playing the healer and to the best of my knowledge only a Force sensitive class will be able to be a main healer. I plan to make:  

1. Imperial Agent
    2. Bounty Hunter
    3. Commando/Solder or what ever they are called
    4. Smuggler
    5. I will try the others at some point, but I don't really care for them.

And at some point what ever Sith class has the best heals will probably become my main. 

The main problem I have with the Jedi is the Superman complex. Jedi and Sith have been built up to the point where they are essentially gods that can do anything and everything they need to with the Force as the story writers needs it. He writes himself into a corner?  Use the secret Force powered thing a ma bob that no one talks about but every one magically knows how to do. Because of this their stories are generally not very interesting to me as I much prefer reading stories about people like Bobba Fett or the Commandos from the Republic Commandos novels. For all intents and purposes just some normal guys with no super powers living in a world and fighting with/against what are essentially all powerful gods next to them. All they have is their brains, experience and their hard earned talents to get them out of situations.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By crusader8463
    @PenguinDust said:
    " I'm probably going to be a Jedi Counselor my first time through, and then after that I might try the Sith Imperial Agent.  That class isn't something which is quite as recognizable in Star Wars mythology, so I am intrigued by it. "
    Really? I just assumed it was to appease all the Mara Jade/Skywalker fans out there. A ton of the expanded universe set during, or just after, the movies involve a ton of spies. I suppose if you are just from the movies then ya it wouldn't seem like that big of an arch type, but if you read some of the expanded universe it's a pretty big part of it. At least to me any way.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By penguindust
    @crusader8463:  No, you're right as far as the Expanded Universe goes, but much of that stuff isn't "canon" as they say.  And, what is gets confused with what isn't too easily.  I think Shadow of the Empire is, but what about Children of the Jedi or Splinter of the Mind's Eye?  So, as you correctly surmised, I was referring just to the movies.  I don't know about the cartoon even though I think that is canon now, too.  I guess thinking back, there were more than I perceived though.  Hell, Erisi Dlarit from the Rogue Squadron books was one of my all time favorite characters in the Expanded Universe.  Hmm, I think I have a template for my 2nd character now.  
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jimbo

What they should have done from the start is keep the 3 seperate Jedi classes from KOTOR and had them represent different party roles (ie. tank, DPS, healer)  - then it wouldn't really matter if "everybody" (it won't literally be everybody) went Jedi/Sith.  At least they have 2 seperate classes, which should help keep a bit of balance. 

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82  Edited By kenzo287

I've pretty much settled on Sith Inquisitor but if things don't work out or I get bored of it a Bounty Hunter would definitely be my backup and I may even give the Imperial Agent a try. For the Empire!

BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BC_

I was gonna do something on the sith side, so definitely no jedi for me.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By maxszy
    @Skytylz said:
    " I was looking at the videos for the different classes and I was starting to get the feeling that everyone was just going to be a Jedi.  I'll probably play one because the other classes don't interest me much, except for a smuggler if I can actually transport goods across the galaxy and it's not boring as hell.  My main point was, I can't see why anyone would want to play another class and if 90% of players are Jedi that might cause a problem.    I was wondering who here wants to play as a non-force sensitive character?   Edit:  I'm including Sith when I said Jedi, they are just evil Jedi. "
    Nope. Definitely not. Imperial Agent for me most definitely. While I will definitely play a Jedi or Sith at some point, I wont start out that way.
    Brettss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Brettss
    @DanielJW: I believe the inquisitor/consular will be the healers. 
    Mysterion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Mysterion

I'll be inquisitor if it  also has crazy force powers.
    Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Radar

I've played a jedi in every other Star Wars games for the past 20-something years. 

SMUGGLER.

Killa_Jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Killa_Jo

duder, bounty hunter all the way. Unless my friends pick the good side, which they probably will and then ill be a trooper in that case

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @jukezypoo said:
    " Well I'll probably play a Jedi / Sith because, like you, I find myself uninterested in the other classes' abilities and play-styles. "
    Same I will try out the other classes but my main character will most likely be a Sith or Jedi.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Seppli

I'm gonna go for Jedi/Sith caster or tank. Force related mythology is what I'm most into. Minus mediclorians.

Quite certain the jedi/sith caster classes are gonna have the sickest hoodies ever! I'm a man of the hood myself in real life. Wearing a Hood and a sporting a beard is like having a house for your head on your head. Superpowered hobo style.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definitely try the smuggler or any other Gun-based class first,

Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Phantom_Crash

I would have been happier if there was only 1 Force user per side. If your going to put 2 in, you might as well go all in and put Guardian, Consular and Sentinel. I feel by having a Consular it has pushed out a cool non-force using class from the initial release of the game.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Either Bounty Hunter or Sith for me. That's if I get the game, it would be my first real MMO.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Jadeskye

I'm probably quite likely to be a jedi.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#95  Edited By Wuddel

I am a DAoC&WoW-Veteran, and will probably go for a spec that is easy to find groups with. These are usually tanks and healers. Since the Consular/  Inquisitor is the primary healing class, I think this time there will be no shortage of those this time. If the Trooper is meant to be the primary tank, I will certainly go Trooper.

Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Phantom_Crash

We have all played a jedi in a Starwars game at one stage. Jedi/Sith is the bread and butter of Star Wars but Playing a Trooper or a Smuggler is somthing that we don't get to do often. I generally see more people wanting to play a BH or Smugger than I do Jedi/Sith. Its a given that we will all have a Jedi/Sith.

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By imayellowfellow

maybe this crowd mite not be jedi, but i bet the rest of the audience will be

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#98  Edited By Chris2KLee

Probably roll a soldier or scoundrel first. Guns over swords, even laser swords.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By withateethuh

Republic Troopers look pretty cool.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By raiz265

No. 

I'd pick some roguey/stealthy dude.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.