Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Is it worth it to start playing the game now?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Some of you know that I preordered the game at launch, but probably due to Christmas I only received it two weeks ago -after getting a refund -, so I'm thinking if it is worthwhile to return. Or if instead I should just sell the game.  

I'm kind of annoyed that everyone in the gb guild is probably too high for me to join them, and I have to do Taris all over again (ugh...). 

What do you say guys?

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By adoggz

Go for it. There's alot of lowbies around.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Nephrahim

It's still... you know, the same game.

I can't speak for the GB guild but there will always be some low levels to quest with.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

It's good fun, and now's still a busy time, loads of players (and GB'ers).

The game can only get better with updates and patches (or they pull a Galaxies...but lets not go there) but the player base can only dwindle (imo).

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Wuddel

There are still people joining or leveling up an alt nearly every day on the Kessler Run guild. You will be fine. Also the leveling pace is very different.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@LordXavierBritish: Oh hey 4chan made that joke so it's obviously hilarious.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @rmanthorp said:

It's a hilarious joke because you can't go on the SWTOR forums without finding a thread about dead servers on the front page.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@LordXavierBritish said:

@rmanthorp said:

It's a hilarious joke because you can't go on the SWTOR forums without finding a thread about dead servers on the front page.

Be it true or not, why the fuck is a game failing funny to anyone? I don't understand the internet sometimes. I even felt bad for Realtime Worlds and ABP.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rmanthorp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@rmanthorp said:

Be it true or not, why the fuck is a game failing funny to anyone? I don't understand the internet sometimes. I even felt bad for Realtime Worlds and ABP.

This is like asking why Holocaust jokes are funny, if it isn't your cup of tea no one can explain it to you.

Also I am comparing The Old Republic to the Holocaust.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By buft

I'm thinking of getting in next Thursday when payday hits and i can actually afford it

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@LordXavierBritish: Yeah I see where you are coming from but I still feel that they are quite different situations. I'm not a huge fan of holocaust jokes but by the same token it's different because the holocaust is disconnected from most people these days, I don't really think holocaust jokes really flew when the holocaust was actually happening. No one (of worth) is a fan of the holocaust or even behind similar things. However, when it comes to games and the industry I like to feel like it supposed to have united overall fanbase to a degree. That's why I don't understand if you consider yourself a fan of the industry and you want to see games grow and move forward you would find something that people clearly think of as a fail funny, instead of maybe giving constructive criticism and hoping we can learn from it. I'm directly aiming this at you, just hate towards games in general. I just seems like shooting yourself in the foot when you are happy to laugh at things like this.

I guess.
    I guess.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rmanthorp: I was going to say 9/11 jokes but I didn't because I didn't want this topic to turn into that topic, but here it is. 

Now it's that topic.
    llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By llamaegg

@LordXavierBritish said:

@rmanthorp: I was going to say 9/11 jokes but I didn't because I didn't want this topic to turn into that topic, but here it is.

Now it's that topic.

I think I love you.

On a more serious note...

@rmanthorp said:

@LordXavierBritish: I'm directly aiming this at you, just hate towards games in general. I just seems like shooting yourself in the foot when you are happy to laugh at things like this.

I guess.
    I guess.

I believe very few people want a game to be bad, but, if a game isn't good, then why not make the most out of it? Tons of people wanted Duke Nukem Forever to be a good game, but god knows it was a far throw from it, so we have three choices, ignore it, cry about it, or make fun of it. I will choose making fun because hey, why not.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karkarov

Gee for a game that's failing and sucks I sure see people playing it every night. The game is only getting better with time, they have already added new a flashpoint, new operation bosses, a new warzone is coming in a patch soon, blah blah blah. Also alts are rampant, this is the one game where it is actually fun to play as a different character since a good 25% of their quests will always be unique to their class. Not to mention the whole companion/story thing if you care about that.

In other words this is a fine time to start a character. And if you are really that big a taris whiner ;p.... just level in other means (pvp/space missions) and skip the planet except for your class story. It is very very doable.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @Karkarov said:

Gee for a game that's failing and sucks I sure see people playing it every night. The game is only getting better with time, they have already added new a flashpoint, new operation bosses, a new warzone is coming in a patch soon, blah blah blah. Also alts are rampant, this is the one game where it is actually fun to play as a different character since a good 25% of their quests will always be unique to their class. Not to mention the whole companion/story thing if you care about that.

In other words this is a fine time to start a character. And if you are really that big a taris whiner ;p.... just level in other means (pvp/space missions) and skip the planet except for your class story. It is very very doable.

I don't dislike Taris. The end part is awesome. The thing is as I've already played almost till the end of the planet, I'm going to repeat it. :p
    Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ulain

@Karkarov said:

Or I could....not do those things, save money, AND make fun of it, all at the same time.

World of Warcraft is coming out with a new expansion, complete with pandas and raids and complete-character-rehaul for like the 4th or 5th time. Yet I can only guess how many people will be jumping ship once Cataclysm fully dries up (if it didn't already).

As far as failing, it's not really that I wanted TOR to fail, or EA/BioWare (hooray for Mass Effect 3!) but it was very far from being a "finished" game, in my opinion, and apparently many others. The MMO community is a harsh critic, and complaining/making fun of it might make them open their eyes and do a better job next time around.

@OP, seems like leveling isn't that hard. Sounds like you have to weigh if it's worth your time and effort to level again, if you want to play with fellow GBers or not.

Personally I'd sell it while it still has a decent sale-price. I can only see it deflate in value as time goes, if you decide to play it again afterall.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karkarov

@Ulain: Are you the OP? No? Then why do you think I was talking to you? Don't like the game, don't play? That's fine, more power to you. Doesn't make anything I posted less true. WoW also has 1/3rd less subs today than the day Wrath of the Lich King launched, a kung fu panda expansion with pokemon slapped on isn't going to change that. MMO players are also not harsh critics, they are mostly self entitled punk kids with little to no taste who still think Chuck Norris jokes are actually funny. I would be surprised if the "vocal mmo communuity" thinks any mmo is actually good, SWtOR or otherwise.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I would make sure you pick a server that is 'heavy' at peak time for that time zone. But yeah, I still see a lot of low level people when I play my alts with a lot of heroic LFG going on in the general chat so you should be fine. From what I've read from the dev q/a, it appears that the next big patch, 1.2, should have a lot of features that people been wanting.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Jeust: There will always be alts/lowbies to level with, especially when you're joining a community guild as big as GB. But depending on how fast you play MMO's, it may be worth waiting until March for the next content patch to hit when Legacies will actually do something to make leveling alts easier/more attractive/whatever the fuck Legacy is supposed to do.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wuddel

@StarvingGamer said:

@Jeust: There will always be alts/lowbies to level with, especially when you're joining a community guild as big as GB. But depending on how fast you play MMO's, it may be worth waiting until March for the next content patch to hit when Legacies will actually do something to make leveling alts easier/more attractive/whatever the fuck Legacy is supposed to do.

Sure but for actually reap benefits from that you have to complete Act 1 one of your characters.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Wuddel: Hence: "depending on how fast you play MMO's."

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeust
    @Wuddel said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Sure but for actually reap benefits from that you have to complete Act 1 one of your characters.

When does the Act 1 end? After the first planet?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By CL60

@Jeust said:

@Wuddel said:

@StarvingGamer said:

At around level 30 or so if I remember correctly.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@rmanthorp: we should play APB reloaded sometime bro!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By ReVamp

I've been considering doing this myself actually. But I got out of the MMO game relatively unscathed, might not do me any good to go back.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeust
    @CL60 said:

@Jeust said:

@Wuddel said:

@StarvingGamer said:

At around level 30 or so if I remember correctly.

nice... that's a big Act 1!
    oneangryzeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oneangryzeus

if you play, ill help you...im about to be 50 and will need to start a new char soon anyways

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.