Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Is this Secuirty Key really just an extra headache?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I bought one of those security keys and am starting to regret it. I assumed it was some kind of code that you could apply to your account so that every time you wanted to make changes online you would need to get a code from the device, but now every time I want to log in I need to generate a new code. Is it really just this extra headache that I will need to type in every time I want to log in now? The text on the little device is so small and so poorly lit that I can hardly even see it, and it doesn't even stay up long enough for me to type it all out half the time causing me to have to hit the button again and get a whole new number.

Is there some way to just enter it once, or am I now doomed to have to deal with this headache every time I want to log in?

Ditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ditz

First of all it's half a minute out of your playtime for an extra thick layer of security so just don't complain and second, you can remove it whenever you want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Look at the amount of hacking, phishing scams and fraud that has happened in just this year.  I'm considering buying the app.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

I read Squirty Key and I felt awesome.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By N7
    @Winternet: Pokemon really took its toll on me when I was a kid. First Butterfree and then Squirtle. Like, what the fuck. Is this the most dramatic shit you've ever seen or not?

And when Ask tried to abandon Pikachu. Ho-lee fudge on my face.
    MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MysteriousFawx

Any word on if the app is coming to Android? Only seemed to be Apple store or a physical key at launch.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Meh I'm used to doing this when doing my banking so another layer of security for my account is only welcome. Surprised Steam haven't applied this yet. I'd get one.

winsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By winsol

@MysteriousFawx: It's already out on Android, i set mine up on wednesday with it and it works fine.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@winsol: Oh swish! Now I get access to that security store.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

@PhatSeeJay said:

Meh I'm used to doing this when doing my banking so another layer of security for my account is only welcome. Surprised Steam haven't applied this yet. I'd get one.

It already exists: Steam Guard.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@Ravenlight said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

Yes but that relies on my e-mail. I'd rather just have it ask for a code from my authenticator in that case.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Winternet

@N7: Dude, totally.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

Maybe you should've done a little research on what an authenticator actually does before putting one on your account...

Anyway, Blizzard changed their policy awhile back, allowing you to only enter the code when you log on from different locations. As long as I only log on my computer, I don't have to keep entering it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

@PhatSeeJay said:

@Ravenlight said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

Yes but that relies on my e-mail. I'd rather just have it ask for a code from my authenticator in that case.

If you really wanted it to be secure, you could tie your Steam account to an email address whose only purpose was to verify your Steam account. You could then give that email address some ridiculous 64+ digit, non-ASCII character password.

Not quite the same as an authenticator, but still more secure than what you probably have in place now.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@Ravenlight said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

@Ravenlight said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

If you really wanted it to be secure, you could tie your Steam account to an email address whose only purpose was to verify your Steam account. You could then give that email address some ridiculous 64+ digit, non-ASCII character password.

Not quite the same as an authenticator, but still more secure than what you probably have in place now.

This was never about what I do myself but I would want Valve to offer me. I want one because I think it's one of the best ways to keep my account protected.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai

I remember my first MMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't call it a headache, but that's exactly what it is: a code you enter every time you log in. You could remove it from your account, but I'd suggest simply getting used to it and making it a habit. I can't speak from experience with the actual physical device, but the iPhone app hasn't bothered me at all, and it actually gives me way more time than I'd ever need to enter the code.

It might be annoying, but imagine dealing with EA customer support if your account gets hacked. I'd rather not have to ever call them.

After doing it so long with WoW, and also with Rift, putting in an authenticator code is part of my habit now, and the extra steps don't really bother me. I remember when I started doing it with WoW, it seemed like a pain in the ass, but I eventually got over the hump. It's worth it in the long run to simply get used to doing it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

@PhatSeeJay said:

This was never about what I do myself but I would want Valve to offer me. I want one because I think it's one of the best ways to keep my account protected.

The best way to protect pretty much any account is to not be a retard with your account info. This includes not giving out your account info to anyone, being smart enough to not fall for phishing scams, and picking a password that's more secure than 12345.*

In my opinion, an authenticator can be a great tool to use to further increase the security of your account but is all-too-often used as a placebo by people who still have lackluster account security practices.

In the end, there's still nothing you can do if the entire account database is compromised/hacked. That's up to the company overseeing the whole operation and Valve more than most companies seems to understand how important the security of their customers is.

*123456 is not a more secure password

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@Ravenlight said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

The best way to protect pretty much any account is to not be a retard with your account info. This includes not giving out your account info to anyone, being smart enough to not fall for phishing scams, and picking a password that's more secure than 12345.*

In my opinion, an authenticator can be a great tool to use to further increase the security of your account but is all-too-often used as a placebo by people who still have lackluster account security practices.

In the end, there's still nothing you can do if the entire account database is compromised/hacked. That's up to the company overseeing the whole operation and Valve more than most companies seems to understand how important the security of their customers is.

*123456 is not a more secure password

Again. Not what I do myself, because you have absolutely no clue what I'm doing to protect myself. I'm 'internet smart' enough to keep my information safe, but that doesn't change the fact that I simply WANT an authenticator because it adds another layer of protection to accounts I spend a lot of money on. Now, can I please keep wanting an authenticator without somehow having to defend my own resilience to account theft?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravenlight

@PhatSeeJay: Sorry duder, didn't mean to make it seem like I was attacking you. Just wanted to drop in my $0.02

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UnrealDP

@crusader8463: It's not too much of a headache, or at least in my opinion, also, physical security code pro tip, if you hit the button immediately after the code goes away, you get the same code again.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I had an extra security key when I was playing FFXI, so long as you don't misplace it I don't see a reason not to get one. Better safe than sorry.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lockwoodx

An added layer of security is ALWAYS a good thing, but sadly EA is using it to milk sheeple out of more money. 4 bucks for the cheapest watch battery they could find inside a flimsy plastic shell, then another 2 dollars on top of that to ship something that weighs a few ounces?? EA is using your fear of being hacked to line their pockets.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cabd6b28362
    deactivated-63cabd6b28362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Buzzkill said:

An added layer of security is ALWAYS a good thing, but sadly EA is using it to milk sheeple out of more money. 4 bucks for the cheapest watch battery they could find inside a flimsy plastic shell, then another 2 dollars on top of that to ship something that weighs a few ounces?? EA is using your fear of being hacked to line their pockets.

You realize they have to pay a license fee for each of those devices as well? It's not exactly like the security key is a huge moneymaker, considering it's a one time cost and more people are getting the app anyways.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60

@Buzzkill said:

You realize it's free if you have an ipod, iphone or android? If they were really trying to milk people of money using fear they wouldn't offer it for free at all.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By mosdl

Used to work at a company where we had to use secureids like that for everything. It can be annoying, but it is more secure (though the the devices have been cracked before)

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By matt

@crusader8463 said:

I bought one of those security keys and am starting to regret it. I assumed it was some kind of code that you could apply to your account so that every time you wanted to make changes online you would need to get a code from the device, but now every time I want to log in I need to generate a new code. Is it really just this extra headache that I will need to type in every time I want to log in now? The text on the little device is so small and so poorly lit that I can hardly even see it, and it doesn't even stay up long enough for me to type it all out half the time causing me to have to hit the button again and get a whole new number.

Is there some way to just enter it once, or am I now doomed to have to deal with this headache every time I want to log in?

It definitely a little extra work but after getting my WoW account hacked a while back it's something I gladly do. WoW updated their security key system recently by not asking you for another code unless you (or someone else) is trying to log into your account from a different computer that you last entered a correct key on. That saved me a lot of hassle and hopefully Bioware does a similar thing.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crusader8463

@Jeffsekai said:

I remember my first MMO.

Me too! Mine was Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast. Then many many after. So much time spent on games that don't live anymore makes me sad.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crusader8463

@Matt said:

@crusader8463 said:

It definitely a little extra work but after getting my WoW account hacked a while back it's something I gladly do. WoW updated their security key system recently by not asking you for another code unless you (or someone else) is trying to log into your account from a different computer that you last entered a correct key on. That saved me a lot of hassle and hopefully Bioware does a similar thing.

Ya, I can get used to it. I just have a weird situation that makes it a bit more of a headache then it would be normally. The only time I have to play is when I get home from work, and due to hours I keep I don't get home until close to midnight, and since the only light source in my room, my ceiling fan, died a few weeks back I find myself sitting in the dark trying to type in this code now. It wouldn't be so bad if it stayed on longer once you pressed the button, or if it was back light, but I just have a weird situation where it's a big hassle. I have a weird system where I try to hold it at just the right angle, then have a flash light under my chin pointed at the display and ya... it's weird but a big pain.

Oh well.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Barrock

Hope they do the same thing as WoW so it remembers your MAC address and doesn't ask for it every time you log in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.