Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Peep The First Footage Of Star Wars: The Old Republic

• 81 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    LucasArts and BioWare have dropped this new video piece for Star Wars: The Old Republic, featuring a gang of folks from both companies (including the good Drs. Ray and Greg) dishing on the design direction of the game. Oh yeah, the first publicly available footage of the game is in there too. You might be interested in seeing that.

This video comes just days after BioWare announced it's using an off-the-shelf MMO engine, the HeroEngine, to power the game. How does this footage strike you, in light of that news? Are you ready to surrender a couple years of your life to this juggernaut?
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    LucasArts and BioWare have dropped this new video piece for Star Wars: The Old Republic, featuring a gang of folks from both companies (including the good Drs. Ray and Greg) dishing on the design direction of the game. Oh yeah, the first publicly available footage of the game is in there too. You might be interested in seeing that.

This video comes just days after BioWare announced it's using an off-the-shelf MMO engine, the HeroEngine, to power the game. How does this footage strike you, in light of that news? Are you ready to surrender a couple years of your life to this juggernaut?
    XRevMaynardX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By XRevMaynardX

There needs to be a paradigm shift with MMO's for me to get interested again. You know this is going to be the same old crap.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Pazy

No doubt ill try this eventually but as of yet no MMO has grabbed me and even the star wars license (well any licencse tbh) dosent give me any urge to play this game. Unless they do something truly diffrent I dont care.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By freezerr

There was some hint in the video of each player being able to shape the way the world appears to them. If they pull this off in a way that still allows player-player interaction, I'd definitely be interested in it.

One of the worst immersion-breakers in WoW is the fact that, no matter how many wolves you kill, there will always be more, and that even after you kill a boss, the region that they had been corrupting still appears the same.

Of course, this exists to facilitate repeat play and player-player interaction. If they can solve this problem, they'll make a cool game.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By yellownumber5

I'm curious, even though my PC won't run this.  I've always appreciated a tight single player storyline driven experience over the lucid community oriented experience of MMO's.  Its neat to see Bioware approaching TOR with a focus on storyline that might actually make me interested in MMO's for once.  I'm afraid that having the MMO experience could water down what I like from a single player stroy-driven experience.  Especially for the fact I am expecting to loose setting up a group of multiple characters and loosing the pausing and strategizing of the last KOTORS.  Still If I could go back to KOTOR and imagine having my friends drop in every once in a while as cohorts it would be fun, and I think I would like that.

edit:  I just realized that I'd RATHER have them take all the emmence amounts of storyline they are touting and just make it a single player experience that will last me a couple hundred hours of play.  Still it should be fair to see first how they are incorporating this with an MMO.

deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By deaux

They seem to recognize that making the story meaningful in an MMO is their biggest challenge.  I'm very curious to see how they approach that.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Legend

I'm really intersted in this game. Let's hope Bioware will deliver.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm just happy to finally see an MMO that doesn't have Orcs in it.

Aberrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aberrant

You have to wonder how many of these ideas they speak of will get axed before the game releases. Hopefully not too many.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Venatio

I havent played WoW or any other MMO, I love Star Wars so I might play this

frenchdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frenchdork

blah, I'm still not happy about it being an MMO. And I'm not convinced by the marketing blah blah by the creators. I dont care who they are. It wont be as good as a singleplayer KOTOR.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, i must say this is the first time I am actually genuinely interested in an MMO. This game has the potential, and I love Star Wars.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13  Edited By spiceninja

The only MMO I play is WoW. No other MMO has interested me other than Lord of the Rings Online and it didn't hold my interest. The Old Republic looks like it may take me away from WoW.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb

Well, this is definitely KOTOR. Wow, this is definitely KOTOR. I'm liking it.

Hope + 1 !!

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tylea002

I am pleased to say the graphics look runnable on my PC. A very rare thing. Not Very runnable, but runnable, which leaves me very excited.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17  Edited By MachoFantastico

Looks amazing, I'm glad there sticking to the KOTOR feel and style. Also notice the art style, there going for the less hardware heavy graphics and relying on art style like WoW did. I good move on there part.

Looked great, especially so early on in development.

lamiafusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lamiafusion

Probably going to give it a try (like Warhammer) but I would rather have a new KOTOR 360 game. They put out 2 games on the xbox but so far nothing for the 360 pfft lame

Clockswork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Clockswork

Love the stylized style of the game! "Realistic looking" games with MMO graphics just doesnt work for me... Looking forward to this!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm not normally interested in MMO's, but this does seem really great.  If there's a monthly subscription though, I won't be going near it.  Even if it turns out to be the best game ever, it's very hard to justify spending that much money on any game.  And yes, I have a job.

Andrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Andrew

Looks amazing!! I hope it will run on a Mac!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hatking

Might be the first MMO game I've played since WoW back in 2006 when I briefly got into that. 

Crey93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Crey93

i wonder what force powers the jedis are getting, the sith got all the cool ones like Force Crush and Force Lightning/Forcestorm

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By JoelTGM

This game does what a lot of other MMOs already do, and it doesn't even look like Star Wars (what's with the fat lightsabers?).  The stuff about the story is no big deal, just one of those things they will keep saying every chance they get, to try to say "our game is different!"  I was extremely excited when the game was first announced, but once I read up on where they were going with this game, it didn't sound so exciting anymore.  I'm very interested in Champions Online right now, it has an art style going for it too, (comic book style) but it actually looks very good.  No classes/archetypes and tons of customization means your character will truly be your own.  Also it'll be on PC and 360.  TOR will probably do very well, but it's just the same old stuff, and I would have totally ignored the game if it wasn't star wars, and it doesn't even look like the star wars I know.  I'll pass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be one of the best games ever.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26  Edited By tofford

I have always avoided MMOs because of the financial commitment but this game looks awesome and as a massive star wars fan i am struggling to resist

smokepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By smokepants

It just sounds like they're selling it as a giant single-player game that you'll pay for as you play. I don't see how the "massively multiplayer" really fits in or how they'll keep the presence of other players from being detrimental to the story experience.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zityz

Looks cool, but also looks like the old real time turn based combat that gets repetitve and boring and is a reoccuring offense in MMOs. If they can make the combat more Action rpgish then I say it will be really well worth it.

Kotor had a good style for its combat mostly because it was a single player experience, I can see you pressing  a skill button to watch flashy lightsaber battles get blah after awhile.

Also, hope they add  some vechicles into the mix. Id like the be able to buy, own , and fly my own star ship from planet to planet. 

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Zaapp1

Looks great, but I was almost hoping that the combat would be Jedi Academy style, still good though.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By m1k3

I liked the other KOTOR games...ill probably try this  out

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ElectricHaggis

If, when it comes out, I have a PC that can run it, I'll check it out.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Karmum

Interesting, but Diablo III will suck my life away when it comes to playing online. As for a subscription based (as it seems) MMO game, it is this or Champions Online.

JimmyJackJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By JimmyJackJones

TOR?  Really?  Is it that hard to say "The Old Republic?"  Do we have to abbreviate every single one of these MMOs?  Jesus.

Other than that, this looks really interesting.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Psynapse

Looks good, but seems to have a fair few frame rate issues from the in-game that they showed.

bcfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bcfish

well, i'm one of those asses who has NEVER joined the WOW bandwagon, don't get it, don't give a shit, online gaming, whatever, but now..........well, i'm intrigued.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Double0hFor

i hope this becomes more popular than WoW but i know thats impossible :( :(

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Bah, The boast that they will have more content than all the other Bioware RPGs put together sounds like marketing spin. Interested? Yes. Will I play it? No. I am not an MMO guy.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mackgyver

If BioWare does pull this off and keeps their promises and backs up their boasting, this may be the first MMO game with subscription that I will actually play.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox

Didn't really look to great. I don't buy the whole "style vs. reality" argument. Looking real and looking good (modern) are not mutually exclusive. Oh well, it's not like this game will be the one that makes me change my mind about MMORPGs... especially being Star Wars oriented.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By ZimpanX

But I don't want an MMO, I'm not really a fan of the Clone Wars-like artstyle either. I just want a proper KOTOR 3. :(

gzl5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gzl5000

I'm worried about this one. They better come through on the story like they're promising, that's why I played both KOTORs multiple times. On the plus side, the melee fighting animations seem to be much improved.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Lies

I just saw this in my e-mail inbox from the SWOR guys. Looks decent, but all they really showed was some combat, which isn't the interesting part of the game for me. I'll wait to see how they handle dialog and story before making my judgments.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Star Wars & MMOs, two things I don't care about... so I care even less than I normally would about this game!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

HINT TO DEVELOPERS! Light fades out over a LONG distance at a very linear, gradual rate when they aren't directed. So like, lighsabers. If the glow off of them looks as sharp as the light off of the energy swords in H3, its gunna be rediculous, I hope they tone em down a bit too, its a bit much. I'm not digging the art style TOO much, but its not that bad, and technically it looks good enough.

"Probably going to give it a try (like Warhammer) but I would rather have a new KOTOR 360 game. They put out 2 games on the xbox but so far nothing for the 360 pfft lame"
    I assume you are talking only about KOTOR games, because BioWare has Mass Effect and Dragon Origins on/coming to the 360. And DO is looking damned amazing.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#45  Edited By Brackynews

Can you......... Solo?

:D

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Absurd
    XRevMaynardX said:
    "There needs to be a paradigm shift with MMO's for me to get interested again. You know this is going to be the same old crap."
    Same, I've played way too many MMOs that seemed too similar. (I'm probably just sick of the RPG genre though)
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Red

Game looks incredible. I mean it takes everything that I like about MMOs and then adds in everything I like about a bioware RPG.

Can't wait, although I hope that blaster characters (or just any character in general) can cover.

Anyone who is having doubts just remember: has Bioware ever made a bad game?
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Jayzilla

who doesn't like star wars? who doesnt like star wars games? this is going to be a gold mine for bioware, and george lucas will be able to by a third world country after this.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kazona

Looks very good, and definitely excited about this game. I just hope that combat is going to be more engaging and active than most MMO's out there cuz that's usually the first thing that causes me to get bored.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jakob187

That's a lot of light sabers...

...and unfortunately, it looks like a lot of "meh".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.