Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Raid footage shown of TOR (Eight man)

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blueduck

This is an eight man instance (raid?) shown off and narrated.  
    IMO it looks awful and I can't even see anything really star warsy (except for light sabers!) about it. The combat seems slow and boring and if this is what the game turns into when you reach max level I'll have to count myself out. I'm sure some people will like it so to each his own. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPsuhyN9fTU&feature=player_embedded#at=14 ( here is the link if you can't see the video)
    Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Metalhead79

Looks pretty standard fair. I think it's time for MMOs to have a paradigm shift away from the raiding and dungeon grinding endgames. Or at least  a shift away from how they're played.  I still can't wait to play this game.  If it sucks and I get bored? The Secret World comes out in April. :D

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Funkydupe

The Secret World actually seems pretty cool. Its probably going to have fairly standard combat as well though.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By amomjc

Thanks for this, being as raid is my main reason for playing an MMO, I appreciate you sharing :)

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By niamahai

@blueduck said:

IMO it looks awful and I can't even see anything really star warsy (except for light sabers!) about it. The combat seems slow and boring and if this is what the game turns into when you reach max level I'll have to count myself out. I'm sure some people will like it so to each his own.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPsuhyN9fTU&feature=player_embedded#at=14 ( here is the link if you can't see the video)

dunno bout you but that is basically how MMO combat works due to latency issues. I don't think GW2's combat will be the revolutionary thing everybody is making out to be.

Also, what they shown is pretty much how KOTOR played like. Also I am hype for TOR so I IZ BIASED!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

I might get this a year later. Looking at my finances I will not be able to afford a new computer until at least June 2012. Looks like a standard MMO raid but that's good.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CptBedlam

This reminds me why I don't like mmorpgs ... the combat looks always dull and stiff. I get behind the looting, the levelling etc but looking at the actual combat, mmorpgs always break apart for me.

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Metalhead79
    @Funkydupe said:
    The Secret World actually seems pretty cool. Its probably going to have fairly standard combat as well though.
    And given Funcom's track record, will be an unmitigated mess at release. 
    Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thor_Molecules

It looks quite bland. The environments, the animations, the gameplay. Without the StarWars license, I don't think anyone would even bat an eye at this.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Buckfitches said:

It looks quite bland. The environments, the animations, the gameplay. Without the StarWars license, I don't think anyone would even bat an eye at this.

I'm with this guy. If people are into it then more power to them, but I'll have to pass. This looks like your typically WoW raid in every single way.
    Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@PrimeSynergy: Any WoW dungeon/raid would put TOR to shame, I don't think they are even directly comparable.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Trying to release a game with a raid that looks as absolutely atrocious as this, when the soon seven year old king of the throne already widely surpass it, is nothing short of retarded.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DougQuaid

Is this an actual raid dungeon and this was just the entrance or was it just a boss encounter w/ mini bosses?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

How many hours do you think it will take for some individual to hit the level cap?  I remember when people hit in under a day in WOW.  They had a guild working around them doing all the killing.  This might take longer because of all the dialogue.   I don't think EA needs to get the end game 100% on release since it will take a while for most people to get there, but after as long as the game has been in production, it should be functioning at least.

DFuze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DFuze

Watching any type of MMO raid be it WoW or otherwise is always kinda boring to me to tell the truth. Its when I put the headphones on and getting feedback from the game and fellow raiders is when my blood starts flowing. Getting 40 20 or 10 peeps to try to work together can be an ordeal. If anyone else remembers just facing Illidan for the first time just felt quite epic. Im pre-ordered and ready to go. Game looks cool

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zithe

@PenguinDust said:

How many hours do you think it will take for some individual to hit the level cap? I remember when people hit in under a day in WOW.

wat.

What was the level cap at the time?

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@Zithe: People hit the level cap of the expansions in a single day or less, because they had an entire guild supporting them, effectively blowing his XP/hour ratio through the roof. I remember just booting up Wrath of the Lich King for the first time on release day, I believe, after coming home from work, and I saw the realm's first lvl 80 players getting announced.

Getting from level 1 to 60 in vanilla wow wasn't anything like that though.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By the8bitNacho

I am pretty excited for The Old Republic, but that emotion isn't provoked by the fairly standard-looking combat. It is the story missions and unique class specializations that really have me itching to get my hands on this game as soon as I possibly can. All of the beta testers seem pretty thoroughly excited about what they have played, with a few little criticisms here and there mostly related to the user interface. It gives me high hopes that The Old Republic won't be the dismal failure that its development time might suggest.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zithe

@Buckfitches: I was under the impression he meant going from level 1 to the cap.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Funkydupe
    @Metalhead79: Yes, I'm sure it will be. If it isn't though, kudos to Funcom for finally shipping a polished product in the MMO space.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust
    @Zithe said:

@Buckfitches: I was under the impression he meant going from level 1 to the cap.

No, when I mentioned how people hit the cap in a day in WOW earlier I was talking about the jump from 70 to 80.   However, since you mention it, back when I did play WOW, I remember standing next to a guy and watching him level 40 times in a row.  People use the RAF~Recruit A Friend exploit to skyrocket to high levels.  There are videos all over YouTube of people going from 1 to 60 in 5 minutes or less.  Now that I think about it, you could probably go from zero to 80 in a day working with a group these days.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laserbolts

This was pretty underwhelming. Looked really bland and boring. I hope this game ends up being good though.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Im starting to warm up to this game, although I still don't think I'm going to play it.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Looks good to me, I'm really not trying to be lead blind because I love Bioware and SW so much. It looks and plays great.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ventilaator

This continues to absolutely baffle me with it's unflinching mediocrity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.