Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Scaling main quest?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By dagas

The guest in the Tested podcast said the main quests scale so any side quests are optional. Is this true? I figured you had to do the side quest stuff to be of adequate level to continue the story. The planets say what level you need to be after all. I'm 99% sure he is wrong, but I ask anyway because only doing the main quest would be so great even if it means I finish the game at lvl 25 or something.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cataphract1014

No, it does not.

If it did you would be running through level 40 planets at level 20 and get slaughter by everything as you went from quest to quest.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

If you're strictly questing, you'll need to do the main quest and all non-Heroic sidequests to stay the appropriate level. Keep in mind that this is a WoW-styled MMO. There's nothing stopping you from running some dungeons or doing some PVP to boost up your level to counter the need to do sidequests.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By dagas

I just tried to speed grind with a friend like we did in Titan Quest and Borderlands, but it didn't work. I got almost no XP even from late game enemies. I understand it's because an MMO so they don't want people to "cheat".

The side stuff is alright at first, but doing them for the third or forth time they are just a chore. I guess I can level fairly well doing PvP and space and such.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Funkydupe

"You can go to planet A or planet B. FOOLED YOU. You can only go to planet A."

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I did notice that the story missions can at times be a tad more challenging but it won't scale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The story quests don't scale. Whoever said that needs to do more research.

@Funkydupe: I actually was high enough level by the end of Coruscant (10-16) to completely skip Taris (16-20) and go straight to Nar Shaddaa (20-24).

ick_bop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ick_bop

It's too bad, some scaling would have given me a reason to play more then two characters.(One republic, one Imperial) The sidequests are so shitty and boring that I can only tolerate maybe one go around per side.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karkarov

@Brodehouse said:

The story quests don't scale. Whoever said that needs to do more research.

@Funkydupe: I actually was high enough level by the end of Coruscant (10-16) to completely skip Taris (16-20) and go straight to Nar Shaddaa (20-24).

Yeap Brode is correctamundo. I also skipped Taris too on my first character. You can get plenty of exp from flashpoints, pvp warzones, and space missions to more than make up any level gaps and sometimes even skip side missions. Heck on my first toon I hit 50 shortly after landing on Voss and it only supposed to take you to like 47-48.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.