Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Will Actually Ship This Year

greenocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By greenocelot

just wish MMO's were cheaper, i'm a poor scummy student god dammit!

Kaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252  Edited By Kaspar

That last part has me genuinely excited.

ucankurbaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By ucankurbaga

@GreenOcelot: Don't worry it will go f2p in 6 months.

Terranova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#254  Edited By Terranova

@ucankurbaga said:

@GreenOcelot: Don't worry it will go f2p in 6 months.

I don't see it going fully F2P but i do believe at some point they will have a F2P option running along side the subs like what is happening with Star trek online, DC universe etc why they are not launching that way from the start i don't know it would be better for them in the long run if they did.

trlbaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By trlbaron

Totally read that headline as "Star Wars: The Old Republic Wii ships this year". Blew my mind for about three seconds.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By Meowshi

@Xeirus said:

@Meowshi said:

@Xeirus said:

@CL60 said:

@blueduck said:

@CL60 said:

@blueduck said:

@Meowshi said:

@Benny said:

Too bad for them that they started making this when WOW was at its peak, only to have interest in WOW begin to wane since cataclysm was released.

Quality aside, when guild wars is released; the subscription based model will be completely irrelevant to new games post-WOW, if it isn't already.

With a monthly fee, a developer can churn out patch content at any rate they like and still get money regardless, whereas with guild wars, the onus is on arenanet to get high-quality content out as fast as possible so people can pay them for it. In my opinion, a much better model.

Interest in WoW is dying because the game has been out for years, not because people are tired of the style of gameplay. They just want that style in a shiny new wrapper. What the mass market wants is basically WoW in a brand new setting. That's essentially what this game is offering.

You're insane if you don't think it will be successful.

GW2 is innovative and will most likely be a more engaging game, but it won't sell anywhere near as much as The Old Republic. Quality does not equal sales.

Is that why Rift did so well? It was Wow in a shiny new rapper.

Uhh, Rift is doing well.

Yeah for its budget its doing well but if you took the amount they spent to make TOR it wouldn't be looking so hot right now.

EA has stated they need 500k subs to do good enough, Rift was Trions first game, and it sold around 1.2 million and has a very solid playerbase and is growing. A bioware starwars game with the knights of the old republic name will do just fine..most of the MMO playerbase wants MMOs that play similarly to WoW.

"good enough" won't be enough, I hope the game is great I really do because I want to play it and enjoy it. But from the video they showed (I know, I know, it's not much) this game looks awful. It'll do very well at launch but I promise it will drop off or go f2p after a year. But who knows, to each hsi own.

The game looks like an MMO. People who are disappointed in it are either people who aren't fans of MMOs in general or people who expected something that differed from your standard MMO. Either way, your problem is with the genre, not the game, and it's you're own fault for building up expectations based on nothing. From day one the developers of this game have been honest about what it is.

"We are not re-innovating combat."

"Our game is all about gear."

"We respect the trinity system."

Only way you could have been confused is if you weren't listening.

People still think that a game needs to do WoW numbers to be successful? EA has already said they only need a million subscribers to break even. Even SWG managed to sell a million copies, and it was a steaming pile of shit. If you people want to ignore Bioware's name recognition, Star War's franchise appeal, and the massive amount of hype these games have; then be my guest. Just don't pretend like your predictions of dumb are based on any sort of logic.

I"m basing my opinion on the trailers they have shown, literally everything from this game that's been posted is pure recycled copy/paste battles from every MMO out there.

I think you need to calm down, you act as is you work for the damn company. It's an opinion, I have mine, you have... whatever yours is, I can't tell, just seems like you're trolling.

Fuck off. If you lack the mental capacity to handle a discussion with someone who disagrees with you, then you shouldn't be a part of this discussion. I'm not interested in having a discussion with some halfwit who is going to accuse me of trolling. Grow up, kid.

@wompa421 said:

@Meowshi said:

@wompa421 said:

I still don't know about this game if it wasn't an MMO I would definitely buy it but since it is one I'm going to wait till giant bomb does some coverage and a review on it to see if its worth me sinking a lot of time into it. The only MMO I've played was City of Villains and I played the shit out of it I did play WOW for a week and got bored hopefully this game is worth it because there are a lot of games coming out late in the year that I'm interested in.

That is an incredibly silly decision. Giant Bomb is not the place you go for MMO coverage or reviews. None of the main four even like MMOs, and they've already stated they have no interest in the game several times. If you're relying on this site to determine whether or not to buy an MMO, you might as well use it to determine which JRPGs and EA sports titles you want as well.

oh i didn't know everyone there said they had no interest in it i guess i'll have to go with gamerevolution.com and game informer and other places for the review.

Yeah, certain genres of games aren't well-represented on the site; mainly because there's only four guys!

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By Meowshi

@Drazat said:

This needs to be F2P

There are plenty of F2P MMOs out. This game is aiming for WoW's marketshare.

If it does go F2P, then I'll predict it will just be shut down shortly afterwards. It's too expensive for that.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#258  Edited By myslead

this will keep me busy until D3

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#259  Edited By CL60

@MB said:

@Robosaur said:

Does anyone else think that it will start the day of or after Galaxies shuts down?

The first paragraph of the article says the launch of SW:TOR is five days after Galaxies shuts down...

Pretty sure he was referring to the early access.

VirgenFJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By VirgenFJ

UTINI !

TheC0ndor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By TheC0ndor

Man, it really pisses me off when people say this game is going to be bad, first off it is a matter of opinion, sooo if you don't like MMO's then don't talk about the game and screw off. Second, this game is being made by Bioware, if you expect anything below a polished and fun game then you are crazy, plus its been in development for almost 6 years, if it is not polished then i have lost all faith in humanity. There is no need to hate on this game just to hate, and for the crazy people that think it will go F2P, if you want the most fully fleshed out, premium and polished experience then you gotta pay for it bub.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#262  Edited By spaceturtle
    @TheC0ndor

Man, it really pisses me off when people say this game is going to be bad, first off it is a matter of opinion, sooo if you don't like MMO's then don't talk about the game and screw off. Second, this game is being made by Bioware, if you expect anything below a polished and fun game then you are crazy, plus its been in development for almost 6 years, if it is not polished then i have lost all faith in humanity. There is no need to hate on this game just to hate, and for the crazy people that think it will go F2P, if you want the most fully fleshed out, premium and polished experience then you gotta pay for it bub.

Still, it might be bad...
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#263  Edited By LiquidPrince

Oh man, I love that quoted picture. Jeff you hilarious bastard XD

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#264  Edited By Xeirus

@Meowshi said:

Fuck off.

Real mature "kid". People these days, with no common sense. Talk like this to someone in person and see how well that goes, "kid".

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#265  Edited By Floppypants

I have high hopes for this MMO. Ignoring endgame content, I want to believe that each character class has a leveling experience that mimics its own entire KOTOR game. I'll gladly spend the enormous $150 CE asking price if I'm getting hundreds of hours of top-notch BioWare quality gameplay.

That said, I'm crossing my fingers I get a beta invite. $150 is obviously a huge amount of money to spend on a game, and BioWare wouldn't be the first studio to make a crap MMO. The previews they've had of the game don't do them favors.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By StrikeALight

While I reckon this will easily be the best MMO since vanilla WoW, I think they teased the game far too early, and its unlikely I'll ever invest in a subscription model again.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By Meowshi

@Xeirus said:

@Meowshi said:

Fuck off.

Real mature "kid". People these days, with no common sense. Talk like this to someone in person and see how well that goes, "kid".

Like I said, I'm done with you. If you want to have a conversation with someone, don't start it off with accusing them of trolling. Once again, kindly fuck off.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By mewarmo990

I'm optimistic about this game. Or rather, I really want to see it do well, for both BioWare's and my KOTOR sequel expectatsions' sakes. 

Would be cool to see the GB crew doing a video series on SWTOR, especially playing as a party, but judging from their Bombcast comments I don't think they'll like it very much.

Finally, I hope this sudden announcement for the holiday season doesn't compromise the launch quality of the game. Maybe they're trying to avoid too much competition with Diablo 3. I wouldn't mind buying it at the end of their fiscal year if that extra time meant a smoother release, because MMOs always launch with problems.

RiorSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By RiorSnake

@familyphotoshoot: @familyphotoshoot said:

This game is doomed.

I find your lack of faith disturbing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.