Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

The Kessler Run Kast - Episode 1 (Feat. Dave Snider)

• 76 results
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By selbie

Dubstep Vader theme intro = win

If only the bombcast had a dubstep'd intro :P

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Wuddel

You guys are crazy. You compare the best moments in 6 years of WoW, and its extremely polished state against a brand new MMO. Nit pick every little thing LESS THAN 1 MONTH INTO THE LIFETIME! Gives those guys a break.

I love WoW. But WoW vanilla was fucking broke at launch.

BC high level raiding was a terrible timesink no one with a job could do.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Anund

@Wuddel said:

You guys are crazy. You compare the best moments in 6 years of WoW, and its extremely polished state against a brand new MMO. Nit pick every little thing LESS THAN 1 MONTH INTO THE LIFETIME! Gives those guys a break.

BC high level raiding was a terrible timesink no one with a job could do.

This exactly. Also, I don't see how having good, story driven quests excludes you from having interesting moments while grouping. In fact, I quit WoW because I felt it was so anti-social while levelling (coming from DAoC, where grouping was more or less forced, all the time).

I group more in TOR than I ever did in WoW.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Mirado
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Ares42
    @Wuddel said:
    I keep hearing people saying this, and it might just be my sucky memory, but I can't for the life of me remember what was so broke about WoW at launch. I mean I was like the second person on my server to hit 60 (going through more or less all of the solo and group content the first week) and I can't remember anything being completely broken. Sure the game struggled big-time with lag and queues etc, but that can probably mostly be atrributed to the unexpected popularity.
    bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By bio595

@Ares42 said:

@Wuddel said:
    I keep hearing people saying this, and it might just be my sucky memory, but I can't for the life of me remember what was so broke about WoW at launch. I mean I was like the second person on my server to hit 60 (going through more or less all of the solo and group content the first week) and I can't remember anything being completely broken. Sure the game struggled big-time with lag and queues etc, but that can probably mostly be atrributed to the unexpected popularity.

If I am in the situation that you seem to be in, I just assume that I'm better at whatever it is. Clearly you were (or possibly still are) so good at WoW that it just didn't break for you. It is a burden we must not take lightly being awesome at stuff.

@Mirado said:

I love it when audio is in WAV format. Cheers, was looking for this track on youtube but couldn't find it there =)

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Moreau_MD said:

@Matt said:

@CL60: I'm not sure what exactly you're speaking about but it could be kessler's mouse clicks. He was playing the game at the same time.

I thought you were Kessler?

@Matt is Pascual; @MattBodega is Kessler.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ares42
    @bio595 said:

@Ares42 said:

@Wuddel said:

If I am in the situation that you seem to be in, I just assume that I'm better at whatever it is. Clearly you were (or possibly still are) so good at WoW that it just didn't break for you. It is a burden we must not take lightly being awesome at stuff.

Thanks for the sarcasm. My post wasn't meant as some sort of elitists "I'm so good" post. I'm just truly curious, as I really can't remember. Especially when comparing to the issues I've run into with end-game swtor, I can't remember any instance in WoW where a boss would just suddenly one-shot the tank, or the boss wouldn't drop any loot or anything like that.
    bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bio595

@Ares42 said:

@bio595 said:

@Ares42 said:

@Wuddel said:

Thanks for the sarcasm. My post wasn't meant as some sort of elitists "I'm so good" post. I'm just truly curious, as I really can't remember. Especially when comparing to the issues I've run into with end-game swtor, I can't remember any instance in WoW where a boss would just suddenly one-shot the tank, or the boss wouldn't drop any loot or anything like that.

Shit I'm sorry I came off like that. I wasn't being sarcastic at all, I swear =)

Its an attitude I take when stuff works for and not other people because I have no idea why I'm lucky. Also it pisses my friends off no end.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By VoshiNova

Love Love Love it!

Love me some Kessler content, and love me some podcast. ^_^

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Mahonay

I lost my shit when Kessler revealed he was playing the game the entire time during the podcast. I was wondering what the fuck the constant clicking sound was. I thought it was my laptop but I'd pause the recording and it would stop.

Jesus christ Kessler. Only you.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#62  Edited By retrovirus

Looking forward to listening.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By sungahymn

Getting a 404 error. Is it because I live in China?

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By matt

@sungahymn: Sorry that was my fault. Please check again now.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Rowr

Bodega's voice is so loud and grating i simply cant listen to him in a podcast ever and i heard he kills baby rabbits also.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Oginam

@Ares42: I wasn't into WoW until several months after launch, and played until post-Arthas/pre-Cata, but there was never a time I was playing where there wasn't a handful of things broken (or heavily exploitable). And I'm not even including imbalances in classes or things like that, since those tend to be more perspective based (save for the shaman/paladin, which had to be rectified with BC because they simply weren't similar enough through all of vanilla). I don't think anyone saying it was broken, with any knowledge of the game, is talking about server queues (which sucked regardless) or the fabric of the game breaking, but more that there was some seriously messed up shit within the design or implementation of content.

I don't have a problem with that by and large because, like Skyrim, massive worlds are impossible to make work 100%. But at least the expectation that EA and Bioware will work just as hard as Blizzard on WoW seems apparent with swotor, so that's a plus.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ares42
    @Oginam: can you mention any specific instances of broken pve content or broken pvp mechanics? Like one of the only things I can think of from vanilla WoW was when you were able to MC BoP or use that weapon from BRC on flag carriers to make them insta-drop the flag. Ofc there was exploits to the game etc, but swtor straight up just has content that doesn't work. I guess ragnaros was unkillable when released, but was fixed long before the majority of the hardcore guilds reached him. And BWL was also broken, but again fixed within days. I'm not talking about something not being perfect here, I'm talking about things blatantly not working the way they are supposed to at all.
    renachan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By renachan

Thank you guys for this, I found it interesting to hear and helpful as I keep debating trying this game out. For pay MMOs have always been something I'm not sure I want to pay a monthly fee for, as I am not sure I would get enough bang for my buck, but I really have been thinking about this one. So hearing all the chatter is helping me more with deciding.   

Though uh yeaaaah, for me at least, the pace you were talking about was waaay too fast for me. I do not at all expect the vast majority to be reaching end game barely a month in.

Some thoughts on kind of a tangent, from stuff about a half hour in and y'all hit something I've been thinking a lot about the last week; 

While I feel the morality system of Bioware games needs an overhaul, I find it interesting how what is getting to Dave here is the same thing that has me touching Skyrim less and less. The lack of impact in Skyrim, of feeling like anything I did really mattered, things like poorly done quips in attempt of fantasy racism closely followed by people acting like I'm just a nord? I felt like I was fighting the game to play the character I wanted, and my immersion kept being broken because of that. 

Instead I've turned back to finishing off Mass Effect 2, where I feel like I am shaping the Shepard I want. Are they shaped in part with Bioware, me playing with what the story will let me? Yeah. But I feel like Bioware clearly let me know the rules when I borrowed its' toys, and I'm having fun with that. Bethesda keeps critiquing me as I play on the other hand, and makes me feel like I'm having fun despite it. 

And it might be that these types of games are not for me, as I play I am more and more learning how much story is king to me, and I may just prefer a more crafted story to the mostly working toybox of Elder Scrolls, but we'll see. I do think I'll finish Skyrim, but how quickly is up in the air. And no I don't really want to reroll as something besides a khajiit, if you are going to sell me on all this freedom and then force me to play a nord, then I am going to go play some other game

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#69  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Mirado said:

Since I didn't see it in the thread, here's a link to the dubstep mix that was used for the intro/outro:

This is pretty much the best thing the internet's given me so far this week, and gave me this, like, twenty minutes ago. So thanks for that.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Liber

Thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed listening to it.

I was skeptic about TOR and wasn't sure if I want to buy it, however now I know I am not going to buy it because I am not interested in a single-player MMO.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71  Edited By makari

Huttball is the worst. Even when I'm in a premade it is still terrible. Pug that thing with no premade in the group and you may as well farm medals all match (oh wait they nerfed that too) because someone who doesn't understand the resolve system is just going to ruin it for everyone. Ilum is also silly on a heavily unbalanced server, both pre and post change and spawn-camping fix. The pvp in swtor is definitely not its strong point. I'll go so far as to say the leveling experience is its only real strong point at this point in time. One thing they didn't really talk about is ops, so here's my opinion on that as a 10/10 hard mode duder:

Some of the fights in the current tier of ops are creative, but none are really challenging on normal (easy) or hard (normal) mode except for Soa's final phase which is a rng-fueled kick in the balls if you don't have burst dps or are predominantly melee. That's ok though because you don't need much burst to beat normal (easy) and hard (normal) mode Soa didn't drop any loot until today so you didn't have to worry about it! My guild killed the majority of the normal and hard mode fights in one pull last week, our first week raiding doing them for the first time, but the tuning in hard modes makes me think nightmare is just going to be broken for a lot of group make-ups due to some incoming damage being poorly tuned for light armour wearers in hard.

The bosses themselves are generally fine in terms of design. Few of them are very buggy any more, although Bonethrasher is still a mess to predict (wtb target of target and a more predictable switching mechanic) and Soa's final phase, as noted above, relies on some luck. As a melee dps I'm finding the encounter design favouring ranged in pretty much every fight. For a first attempt at creating raid content Bioware have taken some risks in making some creative encounters (Fabricator is my favourite fight of the 10) but having two difficulties be hardly a challenge and the last sounding like it is tuned poorly to the point of being mathematically broken is something they need to look at for the next tier.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By matt

Thanks for listening guys. Just a heads up we're recording a second episode tomorrow with Adam Boyes. We will be talking about how our raids have gone so far and what we think of them.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#73  Edited By Chemin

Oh, snap! I totally missed this podcast. Going to listen to it ASAP.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By jakkblades

I ran across the room and turned it off when you said Kotor 2 is a bad game. Besides that, it was a great listen, but, c'mon, Kotor 2!?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
    deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sungahymn said:

Getting a 404 error. Is it because I live in China?

It works for me and I'm in Xi'an.

Imptastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Imptastic

This one is hard for me because my name is Kesler... with one S. But to the ears it's all the same.

I feel your pain Matt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.