Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: X-Wing

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released February 1993

A space combat simulation set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars: X-Wing lets players pilot the signature starfighters of the Rebel Alliance in a variety of different scenarios, ultimately culminating in the destruction of the original Death Star.

X-Wing (GOG) 1993 or 1998 CE version?

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

Now that GOG released X-wing, I have been torn which version to play. I played the original avidly back in the day, but not the newer one. I like the mappable joystick controls of the newer 1998 version, and it controls nice and smooth on my flight stick. I like the nostalgia of the original (new newer one seems dark and empty), and I can hang with the polygon graphics and 320x240 resolution. I find just having two joystick button passable, but the deadzone seems jumpy and erratic.

I am also worried about mission structure in the newer one. I hear that the newer one is made to be easier, but one of the things I like about the old one is the difficulty. The reason space shooters disappeared is because they became simplified to the point that it is nothing more than flying in circles and shooting, but one of the things that made X-Wing and Tie Fighter great in their day is that their difficulty required you to play strategically, configuring your systems, sending wing man orders, and picking your flight path at the right time to meet mission objectives. If the missions became easier that would break the need for this strategic play.

Also I have been trying to track down reviews of the 1998 version when it came out. I figure most of the differences and gripes would have been covered in that. If anyone knows of a link please add it. Thanks.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hayt

I've only played TIE Fighter so I can't give deep insight but I imagine the biggest difference is it doesn't have the imuse midi music. Buying it on GOG gets you both versions though so you might as well just try them out.

Edit: I found this (again about TIE fighter but still, a lot of overlap I believe)

http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition/the_differences_between_the_1994_and_1998_versions

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.