Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Starbound

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Jul 22, 2016

Traverse lush procedurally-generated star systems in this 2D sci-fi sandbox platformer similar to Terraria and Minecraft.

Is this game updating all the time for others?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the game getting way too many updates over the last few days? I have had to download a 500mb-700mb patch 6-7 times now in the last couple days. I'm trying to figure out if my game is broken and it's just the same patch or if they have really been patching it that much. I have not been able to see if there has been any changes in game as every time I get the urge to go play it there's this massive patch waiting to download and by the time it's done I no longer want to play it and another patch is starting to download again by the time I go back to check.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Uh, you're in the first wave of the beta. They're constantly updating it and changing things and balancing things and adding things and

They said this would happen a while ago. Don't get grumpy because the game is actually a beta, unlike the rest of these "betas" we've been getting for years.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It's updating alot becuase there have been quite a few updates rolling out the last few days. You can look here for details on what they're doing.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@weltal: @artelinarose: I understand there are going to be lots of updates, but getting 3 500+mb a day seems rather excessive.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By artelinarose

@weltal: @artelinarose: I understand there are going to be lots of updates, but getting 3 500+mb a day seems rather excessive.

Yeah, sorry. I kinda came across as frustrated or grumpy myself, didn't I? I didn't mean to. I'm all kinds of weird the past few months and I'm still figuring out how to control myself...

I've seen worse, though! Part of this phase of beta is the large, constant updates in order to get everything settled into the next phase. This game is not done. This is the bumpy road. It'll get better.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Zelyre

You could just turn off auto-updates for the game. As long as you're not playing online, you should be fine.

Unlike a big publisher/developer's betas, it's not being used as a demo or server stress test with an essentially feature locked client.

The game is actually in beta, there are giant chunks of gameplay being added and tweaked based on user feedback. The developers are looking at a three phase beta with this release being phase 1. This is where the largest and most constant updates will happen.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

More updates, I say! To all games, always! Sometimes they may fuck things up in a patch, but you know they will come out with a hot-fix! You can get even more updates for Starbound if you change your beta properties in Steam to "unstable" or "nightly". It's actually kindof cool that the "Stable" branch has been getting updates at all. Unstable and nightly have been kindof sketchy the past few months, like the game sometimes would throw errors and performance was bad. I believe the patch yesterday was for 800MB and today's was about 115MB, the game has a lot of new stuff and the performance seems better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.