Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Advice for new starcraft 2 player? ie. me

TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheGamerFix

I play protoss online, my battlenet id is ZakMaurice so feel free to add me, if you have any helpful advice on how to get better I'd appreciate it. I'm in bronze league and I've played like 60 matches and I'm roughly 25 wins to 35. I've only just started winning on a regular basis but like each match for me takes like 30 minutes cos I build up so much cos I'm never sure when to know that my army is strong enogh, any advice on how I could like speed up my game or just get better in general? 
    WERD UP, BOMB!
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

This.

Also, here are some of my advice posted in a previous comment of mine. Ignore every "you" I use, I was talking to a particular guy but these advice are pretty universal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     1.You have to make workers constantly.
    If you make just enough workers to cover 1 base, it may seem okay at the moment - however, if you get your next expos you'll find that you're short on probes.
    Also, when you get an expo, send half of your workers there.

2.You have to never get supply blocked.
    At the beginning of the game you got supply blocked many times. Don't ever do this. Also, when supply blocked it can be good to build 2 pylons, but never 3 at a time. 
    It may seem like it gives you more time but it's just wasted minerals and you'll prolly get blocked the next time as well.

3.Spend your money, money, money!

This was propably one of the most serious mistakes you made. You had so much money, but not enough units or bases.
    When you have too much money there are 3 things you can do:
    I.Build an expo - always a good choice when you are ahead, gives you more money in the long run.
    II.Make more gates/robos/what have you - you can generally support up to 4 warp gates on a single saturated expo, but later in the game the number diminshes
    due to your previous expos being mined out. If after your fresh round of units you have extra cash, use it to build unit producing structures.
    III.Tech - this is only a temporary solution - if you have, for example, 4 gates on 1 base and some extra money that stays after every round of units pumped out, you can
    build a tech structure - twilight council, forge, templar archives, what have you. This is only good when you want to be 1 basing since an expo is generally
    better than a tech structure. This is generally used when you have some extra cash, not income - if u have extra income, build more unit producing structures.
    If you just have some money because your macro slipped a bit, but you can't support more unit prodcing structures on the number of bases you're on, this is a great solution
    since you just sunk some money into one-time upgrade.

4.Be sure not to run out of minerals in 1 of your bases if you don't have an additional expo coming up.

If you are low on minerals in your main, start thinking about securing an expo - if you run out of money before your next base appears, you're boned because you just lost half your income.
    And nexi/command centers generally take a pretty damn long time to build.  
     -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
    Also, watch a lot of this guy's vids. He's basically a god when it comes to teaching SC techniques.
    Avatar image for everybody_poops
    Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Everybody_Poops

Good advice from imsh.
    My advice is to accept that you will lose approximately half of your games no matter how good you are. Try to take all emotion out of the game. When you lose, try to think objectively about what went wrong and what went right. Take it one game at a time and try your best. Try to find out your weak points and make them stronger.

gl hf

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Afroman269

Some sound advice already here. I'm just starting out and I have yet to win a match, so have patience. I was going to win a 2v2 match but my fucking router cut out -_- I was so pissed.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Afroman269
    @imsh_pl: I finally won my first 1v1 thanks to that video! Thanks for that. I think I'll stick to protoss for a bit now.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty new and inexperienced myself so if you wanna add me to play sometimes my username is Doctor and my character code is 924. This goes for anyone reading this.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

If you're rich, you're losing. Always scout and plan for to either expand/build army/tech up. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By DystopiaX

People have said all I had to say, the only other thing is that I wouldn't worry too much about micro or build orders or fancy stuff like that, just work on the stuff listed above (keeping money low, constantly building workers, etc.) and you should do fine. Don't even bother trying to micro or come up with a unit composition, just 1a/ or attack move with your shit until you can multitask better.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By audiosnag

4 Gate.
    That'll win you a butt ton of matches lower level. BUT don't rely on it cause you'll get punished later on. When i switched to Toss I 4 gated a fair bit while I got used to the race but then switched into 2 gate robo to get Immortals or Colossi out.
    And also, don't underestimate how awesome sentries are. Guardian Shield and Force Field are amazing.

@Afroman269:
    nicely done. the first win is pretty awesome.

MuddaShukka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MuddaShukka

Day 9.. Nuff said.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

"Never not be making probes." - Brad Shoemaker

TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGamerFix

thanks for all the help, I've won my last 4 matches so I seem to be getting better, woo! also how do I find my friend code thingy?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Enigma777

Make more marines!

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Thule
    @TheGamerFix: 
    Hover your mouse pointer over your profile picture in the top right.
    TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGamerFix

oh cool thanks ok feel free to add me, ZakMaurice friend code 370
    Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Chubbaluphigous
    @TheGamerFix: I tried adding you, but it said that it couldn't find you.  Try adding me Character Name: Toast  Character Code: 695 

I totally suck by the way, and I only play Zerg.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Turambar

Pretty sound basic advice.  All I have to add is if you want to work on a part of you plan, work on one thing at a time.  Don't work on always building probes, always macroing, and keeping an eye on the food count at all once.  Do one thing at a time, and you'll improve much faster at that thing.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By audiosnag

Scouting is ESSENTIAL
    You need to do what you can to see whats in your opponents base. 
    That can be hard sometimes specially against a walled in opponent but even scouting the ramp can tell you loads.
    For example if you run to the top of a ramp and see a butt ton of MM with a Medivac floating above it and another Barracks not far behind the wall off, obviously you have a bioball to worry about. If you see a couple marines and a marauder and nothing else you can make a pretty good guess he's teching up to something and it might be time to apply some heavy pressure. 
    And leaving a worker unit just outside his ramp is a good idea so you know when he moves out.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tunaburn

well a problem i always had was trying to tech up to big units like colossus without getting enough zealots and stalkers to support em.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By DoctorWelch

My advice to go along with the obvious stuff that everyone has already mentioned is NEVER TAKE A BREAK!!! I've been really busy with Christmas stuff, a new girlfriend, and starting at a new school this semester, and because of that I have taken about a month off from playing this game like every day and DAAAAAMN do I suck now. I came back to my top rank platinum position and realized that I suck now because everyone has gotten better and I've gotten worse. You just have to stick with it and eventually you'll get better, you just gotta stay with it.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Afroman269
    @audiosnag said:
    " 4 Gate.
    That'll win you a butt ton of matches lower level. BUT don't rely on it cause you'll get punished later on. When i switched to Toss I 4 gated a fair bit while I got used to the race but then switched into 2 gate robo to get Immortals or Colossi out.
    And also, don't underestimate how awesome sentries are. Guardian Shield and Force Field are amazing.

@Afroman269: nicely done. the first win is pretty awesome. "
    Right now, I have been doing the 4 gate. Sentries have been a great help because I spam shields and force field. I'll probably have to change it up and move onto some vehicle units like you did.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Afroman269
    @tunaburn said:
    " well a problem i always had was trying to tech up to big units like colossus without getting enough zealots and stalkers to support em. "
    I suggest building up an infantry army is better. send those dudes out to harass the enemy and in the meantime continue to tech up and always be making probes. If you find a surplus, build a new base. 
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NickL
    @audiosnag said:
    " Scouting is ESSENTIAL
    actually i would say scouting is not that essential in the very low levels and to a newcomer...  mostly because most likely a newcomer wont even know what to do with that information... before you worry about scouting i would strongly suggest working on the basics of making working and always be spending your money

and i would probably know what a newcomer truly needs to learn since i grinded my way from the bottom of bronze to the top and am now well on my way to grinding from the bottom of silver to the top of silver
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By audiosnag
    @Afroman269:
    Yeah I love sentries they're one of my favorite units in the game.
    Having a few Immortals to back up your gateway units is a huge help. Immortals chew through Tanks and Roaches super fast. The great thing about going Robo too, besides being able to chrono out an Observer fast if you need to, is if your opponent starts going heavy on Marines or Lings to counter your Immortals, you just throw down a Support Bay and get a Colossus out. 
    Commence melting army.

@NickL: 
    Yeah that's a good point, you wanna have the basics down for sure. Ignoring scouting and working on getting your mechanics and macro down first is probably the right way to go.
    If you wanna get better as a player though you have to scout. Relying on great macro and a solid build order you go into blind will only get you so far.
    Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Best Day[9] video for noobs.  This was seriously a breakthrough for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0799277f8eb
    deactivated-5d0799277f8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There is no better tool than this:
    http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/yabot/
    I'm not kidding, this is one of the greatest practice tools for anyone from Bronze to Gold.
    Just pick one solid build orders and stick to it until you know it by heart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.