Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

All the cheese in team battles

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By killroycantkill

So I'm pretty new to Starcraft and suck at RTS games in general but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm playing with my friend who is in Platinum league in 2 v 2 battles and it seems that all there is in there is cheese tactics. 6 pooling, rushes, weird proxy pylons then mass cannons in my base. I know the answer is "Use more skill" or something along the lines of that but how do I get around this and is it always like this in team battles?

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By raiz265

Don't have that much experience in teamgames, but yeah, that's what I hear about it most of the time. Cheese is much more prominent and powerful there...

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Donos

Yeah, team battles do tend to get a lot of cheese/rushes. The idea is that early on, two players can attack one player and kill their stuff before the other player arrives turning a 2v2 into a pair of 2v1s. The response is to keep you and your allies' units together as much as possible so that you never get caught fighting alone. Also, upgrade your cheesometer.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By WickedCestus

Yeah, no one takes 2v2 seriously. Whenever my friend and I play 2v2 we just double cannon rush to be dicks. Most of the time it fails, but it's fun anyways. No matter where you go, there will be cheesers, the only problem I have with cheesers are when they berate you after the game and say that you suck for holding off their cheese. I always try to be really nice after I cheese and lose, and I usually apologize for cheesing.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Turambar

If its a 2v2 and both opponents rush you, you're going to die.  But that doesn't mean you're going to lose.  Die as slowly as possible, and give your partner as much time to build up unopposed as possible.  Then while its a 2v1, its 2 small armies with poor economy versus one big army with a good economy.  Then just have him give you unit control and one person can just focus on micro while the other on macro.  Its pretty amazing how well it can work out as long as you stay aggressive and keep enemy army sizes small.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Example1013
    @Killroycantkill: I'd recommend a little light reading.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By imsh_pl

Cheese is omnipresent in the lower leagues, and especially in team games.

dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By dudeitsdon

Like the others have stated, cheese is unfortunately a big part of team games, especially at the lower levels. It's a good opportunity to learn the timing and what to look for in regards to rushes, and it shows you the benefit of scouting early. Generally, once you hold off the initial cheese, you've won; it's really an all-in move that requires little skill to pull off. 

If there's any consolation, you can feel better knowing that the other team isn't getting any better by doing the same cheese tactics over and over again.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

Day[9] Daily #210 - Newbie Tuesday: 2v2 Strategy 

TheBlumpk1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By TheBlumpk1n

Ya 2v2 is super Cheesey but its 2v2 you play it for fun :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.