Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Anyone still play SC?

ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ThaMilkMan

Alright so I'm fairly new to starcraft, I ended up watching the MLG Dallas broadcast of SC2 though and got super amped to play some so I went ahead and bought the original game for story purposes and because my current laptop won't be able to handle SC2 any time soon. I also thought it might help to teach me about the second games' mechanics and whatnot when I got into SC2 down the road. My question is, is the pool of online people soooo ridiculous in the original starcraft that I'm far better off just not going online with it at all if I want to have any fun, and will it actually help me to play SC2 or is the game THAT much different?

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

You're probably better off waiting until you can play SC2 before going online. I bought SC+Brood War while waiting for SC2, and played them for the first time. I thought it was a pretty big change.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

On the other hand, the first time my friend played SCII was at a local tournament, and he won his first match using his SC strategies. So they aren't completely different.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Hmm haven't played since SCII, I've gotten so used to the new battle.net stuff being really awesome, so easy to find matches with friends.  

I wonder if I can still play terran the same way I do in 2, for example. I switched from protoss to terran from 1 to 2, so I'd be curious how this has affected how I play 1. 

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Kyle

Honestly, I would have recommended that you just skip Starcraft 1 entirely and read a wiki for the story or looked on youtube or something before playing SC2. It's really just that much better of a game. And really, the story in Starcraft 1 is so light as to be the equivalent of sprinkles on top of a doughnut: they're nice to have, but they're not a real draw. 

I can't say I have a lot of recent experience in online SC1, but I would guess you that would completely slaughtered. The fact of the matter is that there's really just no reason to bother. Starcraft II's campaign and matchmaking are so good that it will perfectly ease you into online play, where as trying to go online in SC1 as a new player would be akin to being "jumped in" to a street gang. There's just no reason to put yourself through that kind of ordeal when the much more favorable option of SC2 is out there waiting for you. 

ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThaMilkMan

alright thanks dudes, honestly all helps...just makes me want to buy this game NOW...but ya know my laptop most likely won't run it, is there any type of demo out to where I can see if it will run on my computer or is looking on "Can you run it" enough info?

Carbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Carbon

If you want to try the game, I'll give you a guest pass that will get you 7 hours of play time (expires after 14 days), and I'll play some friendly 1v1s or do some 2v2s with you. The real bummer with B.net 2.0 is that there's almost no way to seek out new people to play with since there's no public chat channels. Send me a PM if you want the pass.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BombKareshi

I think the original StarCraft is worth a play-through for its story.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By wunder_
    @BombKareshi said:
    " I think the original StarCraft is worth a play-through for its story. "
    @ThaMilkMan:
    In terms of the 'lore' and the story, Starcraft is really awesome. Just cheat your way through everything and listen to the cinematics/cutscenes. In terms of the multiplayer though, a lot of mechanics have changed with Star2. Starcraft 1/BW is much, much harder to macro and get your mechanics down than Starcraft 2. Starcraft 2 streamlined a lot of things in terms of macro as well as micro so you may as well just start off by playing Starcraft 2.
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arkanti
    @BombKareshi said:

" I think the original StarCraft is worth a play-through for its story. "

It's certainly better than Starcraft 2's story at the least. Note that I'm saying the STORY is better, not the CAMPAIGN. Starcraft 2's campaign plays better but the narrative hook wasn't there for me. Also if you want to enjoy them both together the most you should skip Broodwar. Starcraft 2 seems to retcon half the stuff that happens there, completely changes where the stories arc was meant to be heading from that point and spends half the campaign "revealing" things to you that you'd already know from playing BW.
    ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThaMilkMan

hhhmmm I like this starcraft talk and yes Wunder I do like the story so far (I'm only at the zerg) but the fact that I can't grab more than like 12 units is a big bummer considering that modern games allow me to grab as many units as I want...really that's my only bummer, and that the game doesn't really prepare you for what is coming next, It just has that old school feel of "I dunno figure out how to play the game using these tips" haha but I'm enjoying the crazy story stuff and everything, it's pretty cool.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tsoglani

I found that the StarCraft Battlechest was very helpful in learning builds and such things, and I think it is generally agreed that the original SC campaign is harder than SC2. I still play SC, but to be honest that is because I still haven't finished Brood War.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BombKareshi

I'd recommend against "cheating" your way through SC1, because I found the campaigns to be a lot of fun, but it's better than skipping the story altogether or reading it from some clumsily written wiki.

Also, Brood War is awesome. They may have retconned a few things, but it's not like they completely disregard the events that took place.

ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ThaMilkMan
    @BombKareshi: yeah I have been playing straight up so far...but terrans lvl 10 on the campaign was so ridiculous I youtubed how to cheese the AI...7 minute win haha
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arkanti
    @BombKareshi said:
    "  Also, Brood War is awesome. "
    It sure is, but my advice was based upon enjoying the series as a whole.

@BombKareshi said:
    "They may have retconned a few things, but it's not like they completely disregard the events that took place. "
    For the most part, yeah, they do.
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BombKareshi
    @Arkanti said:

@BombKareshi said:

"They may have retconned a few things, but it's not like they completely disregard the events that took place. "
    For the most part, yeah, they do. "
    That wasn't my impression. My StarCraft II manual acknowledges everything that happened in Brood War, and I can't think of anything in the campaign itself that conflicts with it.

(Forgive me if I'm playing a bit of a devil's advocate here.)
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By raiz265

Stay away from SC1 multiplayer except you play it with some friends... You're gonna get raped :D 

And as long as you don't invest some serious work it won't help you in SC2 anyway imho.  

SC2s multiplayer is far more approachable and the controls are much more '2010'...

Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Arkanti
    @BombKareshi: 

If not necessarily directly retconning anything it feels like really bad story telling and provides a terrible flow from BroodWar that you wouldn't experience if you just went straight from the original. This is more meant as a clarification of my point rather then me trying to argue that your opinion is wrong. I just personally had a bad taste left in my mouth from SC2's story, it felt like it didn't know what tale it wanted to tell.
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BombKareshi
    @Arkanti: 

This is probably, as you say, bad storytelling. However, whereas you would perhaps encourage new people to skip this content for an overall better experience, I'd rather encourage them to see all of it and draw their own conclusions. There's always the chance that the Brood War material might become more important in the upcoming Zerg and Protoss campaigns.
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arkanti

True and I think retcon might have been a bad word for me to use, that they ignored most of everything in Broodwar and what they didn't ignore they just repeated was my issue. It made the events in Broodwar feel pointless, regardless of any justification they use for the changes in direction. But as you said I hope some of it makes a return later on.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raiz265
    @BombKareshi said:

" @Arkanti: 

This is probably, as you say, bad storytelling. However, whereas you would perhaps encourage new people to skip this content for an overall better experience, I'd rather encourage them to see all of it and draw their own conclusions. There's always the chance that the Brood War material might become more important in the upcoming Zerg and Protoss campaigns. "
    http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/media/videos?keywords=story#/story-new-era  
    http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/media/videos?keywords=story#/story-uncertain-future  

Those give a nice overview of the story leading up to the events of SC2
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arkanti
    @raiz265: 

That is the overview provided during the installation of Starcraft 2, which glosses over all the events in Broodwar besides the very first mission.

Edit: Sorry for taking over this thread, I'll stop now :3
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raiz265
    @Arkanti: Whoups, ok... Didn't read everything and never played the BW campaign, so i thought that overview was complete
    Henkiebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Henkiebob

HELLZ YEAH, Iam climbing up the ladders as we speak!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.