Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

(Beginner Thread) Where do I start?

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=19

That is your goto website for anything Starcraft related. You can see ongoing streams and tournaments on the right side and of course browse some interesting threads and partake in discussions. That site is also heavily moderated which is why it isn't a complete shithole :P

As far as playing the game goes, I for one would just play through the campaign to understand the basics and... well t's also a nice campaign. For multiplayer you can do stuff like watching pro gamers and just take a basic strategy and try it out for yourself or you can just dive into playing without doing extra research. Depending on how much you like it, you're kinda bound to be interested in reading through some threads so I wouldn't worry about that.

My biggest advice for you:

Enjoy IMPROVING at the game. Don't get mad when you lose. When I'm playing, which currently isn't the case, I love seeing myself improve my gameplay. It just feels good to realize I macro/micro better or just generally have gotten better at controlling stuff.

Do not play to win every game. If that's your goal you're gonna get upset really quickly. Instead try to care little about your win/loss stats and the like and focus on improving. Because that's the best kind of progression!

Masin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Masin

@ShaqPBear said:

I've dabbled in a bit of Starcraft back when it was first released, but I was hoping someone could briefly point me in the direction of some sort of unified website/ community I can visit that can educate me on the language I need to get going with SC2, as well as beginner strategies?

I found a few beginner help threads but figured there may be new useful knowledge out there now by mid-2012 - I doubt I'd ever rank highly, but it would be nice to just have some fun with SC for a while whilst there is a lull in games at the moment.

much appreciated duders

Hey man, what is your username on SC2? I'd be willing to play a bit with you and try to teach you a few things, and have some fun in the process.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spectreman

An error very common when you start is not building enough drones. Or build in the wrong order. For exempla, build 8 drones, 5 marines and two turrets. The other player kill you with 20 marines and you think "how they get so much more army than me?".

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By haffy

Play ladder for the best practice. Quite a few people get ladder anxiety. It's easier to get over it if you just jump into ladder games from the start instead of warming up in customs etc.

Also what race do you play or thinking of playing? Some advice can be pretty different depending on your race.

iPhoneAppz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iPhoneAppz

I'm iPhoneAppz#412 and I'd love to play with some people that know what they're doing and can help me...because...I'm terrible. Granted, I'm just starting out and finally finishing up my ladder placement games.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

Once you've got the bare-ass basics down, Day[9]'s Newbie Tuesday casts are pretty good for learning the ropes.

headache02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By headache02

I'm thinking about playing Starcraft 2. I used to play WOW and Diablo. I thought that i would like another Blizzard's game. How do you think? Is it worth to buy?

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By haffy

@headache02 said:

I'm thinking about playing Starcraft 2. I used to play WOW and Diablo. I thought that i would like another Blizzard's game. How do you think? Is it worth to buy?

Kind of hard to say. It's a pretty traditional style of RTS. Resource and army management with a big focus on 1v1.

It isn't anything at all like WOW or Diablo, but it gets a shit load of support like those games. Any bugs or major balance issues get fixed pretty fast.

Personally I still play the game regularly from the day it came out. I've got 4 accounts and quite a lot of time invested into watching streams of people playing. Also Homestory cup V is on now if you want to watch, ans there should be VODs of the tournament if you miss it live. Here's the link for Home story cup.

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/TaKeTV

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tunaburn

@ShaqPBear: honestly just play ranked. itll place you in bronze where everyone will be new or terrible. then learn from there. watch some videos on teamliquid and see when they build stuff. remember to get workers at all times until you have 30 on each of your bases.

headache02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By headache02

I wanted to play Starcraft, because i watched Heart of the Swarm trailed on youtube and it looks great :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.