Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Real Name

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

When viewing my profile in-game, it shows my real name next to my handle. I understood that the bullshit "Real ID" concept had been dismissed due to community outrage. Is this not the case within the game? Is my real name revealed to other players or is this only displayed on my profile to myself so that they can reinforce the threat that we know who you are?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

Your real name is only displayed to players on your friends list of people who you've added though Facebook or by using an e-mail address. 

priorityseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By priorityseven

From what I understand of Real ID on Battle.net, your real name will only be visible to people you designate as Real ID friends.  You can still add player names to your friend's list and only your player name will be shown on their list, and vice versa.  The big outcry (and the portion Blizzard backed away from) regarding Real ID was the posting of real names on WoW forums.  In Starcraft, using Real ID is still optional, same as WoW.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Branthog

Right, which is why when I see my real name in my profile, it instinctively suggests to me that they backed off of that effort so quickly because they used it as a sacrificial pawn. Cave in to community outcry over privacy on the forum identity while still maintaining it for the online play. But, as you mention, hopefully that isn't actually the case.

It is still a miserable precedent as clearly they're inching their way toward full identification (if they weren't, then rather than using Real ID they would just allow you to bind other accounts to your Blizzard account, the same way you bind your Twitter account to Facebook and so on). If not now, then later. Why I need to know your real life name to play you, I have no idea. The only people that will care about your real identity are those who wish to use it for abusive purposes. Go figure. :/

Malchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Malchom
    @Br3adfan said:
    " Your real name is only displayed to players on your friends list of people who you've added though Facebook or by using an e-mail address.  "
    ^ this 
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon
    @Branthog: See, you misunderstand. You can add people in game and they will only see your little handle, and they will be able to see your StarCraft II profile and that's it. No cross game stuff, no names, no emails.

The only ones that can see your real name are the ones you either add as Real-ID friends, or vice versa, using the email that you or they use to log into the game. I think the reason this was done is to give those who seek to only play with non-game specific friends (aka, real friends) a way of finding and identifying them, and allowing you to track them across games. Basically, they wanted the flexibility of Xbox Live, but wanting to avoid it becoming the hate filled shithole it can be.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Teran
    @Branthog said:
    " When viewing my profile in-game, it shows my real name next to my handle. I understood that the bullshit "Real ID" concept had been dismissed due to community outrage. Is this not the case within the game? Is my real name revealed to other players or is this only displayed on my profile to myself so that they can reinforce the threat that we know who you are? "
    Community outrage?  More like community ignorance, and Blizzard stepping back only applied to the forums displaying a real name.  Bottom line:  Don't add people to your real id friends list if you don't want them to know who you are.  Just add them to your regular friends list.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Teran said:
    " Bottom line:  Don't add people to your real id friends list if you don't want them to know who you are.  Just add them to your regular friends list. "
    Is it that hard for people to do this?  Half my friends in the real world I added with Real ID, and the other half from the GB community, TL, and some other sites.  Simple and clean...plus I like having my name next to my handle when I look at my own account, it shows a sense of ownership.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli
    @Branthog: 

Your RealID is only visible to RealID friends, which can't add you, unless you give them permission to. Even then you have options to be invisible to them, if you don't want to be at any given time.

On a sidenote. RealID is great. For people like me, who've played many years of WoW, I can keep in touch and play with/against old guildmates and such - without currently being a hardcore WoW player.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By gunslingerNZ

The systems a bit confusing in how it's presented in the game and it's a little cheeky how it tries to steer you towards Real ID instead of 'Character Friends'. Speaking of which, what the heck is with the character code. It's nowhere near as long as the Wii friend code but it seems like an unnecessary thing to have when you could just block or deny friend requests you didn't want.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n
    @Branthog said:
    " When viewing my profile in-game, it shows my real name next to my handle. I understood that the bullshit "Real ID" concept had been dismissed due to community outrage. Is this not the case within the game? Is my real name revealed to other players or is this only displayed on my profile to myself so that they can reinforce the threat that we know who you are? "
    Can I ask are you planning on being racist or offensive  during your SC2 matches? I have no idea why so many people are "outraged" by this real id thing. The only reason I can think of is if your a Mel Gibson type of person... a closet Nazi-Asshole-who-abuses-women if you will... 
    Avatar image for shawnyofthedead
    shawnyofthedead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By shawnyofthedead

I imagine they are trying to add the friend code to stop Starcraft 2 becoming like WOW with its millions of spam messages and invites. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.