Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

rookie recommendations?

beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By beatlebrainiac

So, I've been playing Starcraft 2 on and off since it first came out. But here recently it's really sinked its claws into me and I find myself hopelessly addicted to it. Unfortunately, I suck ass. Even more unfortunate, it deems me Gold League-level in 1v1, which I promise I'm not.  

So I really, really want to be good. But I just can't seem to do it. I know the basics, but it seems like I can never make them gel. It's like I've got the Legos, but lost the instruction booklet. I know my key-binding, I know my basic build orders, but I just can't win. So I say all that, to ask two things to the Giantbomb SCII community at large: firstly, if you ever at some point sucked (everyone had to have, right? surely no one's just instantly good), what helped you get better? Any specific videos/guides/etc?  Secondly, would anyone be interested in spectating/skyping some ladder matches of mine to try to help me get better? I promise, if you can tutor me and help me not suck, I will pay it back.  

Anyways, anything else you want to tell a noob, and hopefully do so constructively, I would appreciate immensely. Thanks amigos, and always, have batman.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Winternet

Like everything else on life, practice makes perfect. Just play a ton of SCII and you'll get better. If you want help, I suggest you watch a lot of replays, preferably with commentary. Watch the GSL to see how the gosu gamers do it. Find yourself a couple of friends whom you can discuss SCII. 

Or play Protoss. Hahaha 

Seriously, just play a lot. Experiment. That's what everyone did in the beginning, right? Of course, if you have specific questions or doubts then sites like teamliquid.net or even GiantBomb will help you.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Chronologist

Go watch Day[9] would be my advice to you. He's great at explaining the game in other terms than build-orders and counters, and certainly gave me a totally new understanding of the game. 
    Watch this one for starters:  http://blip.tv/file/3732340/?utm_source=blip&utm_medium=site_search&utm_content=itnk&utm_campaign=s_ab 
    And then generally his Newbie Tuedays are great for guys wanting to learn, He made two dailies about mechanics as well which are definitely worth a watch. 
    Otherwise just the standard things you'll hear from everyone: 
    1. always be build workers 
    2. keep your money low 
    3. Scout  

GLHB

Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Shibbxyz

Ye everyone starts out rusty, I had plenty of experience with RTS's before so I thought i knew my stuff
    But i started out so bad, (was in silver lol) and I started out as Protoss since it was easiest :P
    The best way is to go watch some vods and replays on youtube (Husky, HD, Day 9 are all good) , I go on team liquid and just watch who ever 
    Start by practicing with the AI and focus on macro, just get lots of money and be able to spend it all on an army
    Always watch your replays and see where you go wrong and then try to fix it in the next game

Practice make perfect 

Also feel free to skype me at mhunt19  
    Im on the EU servers but i can still talk and watch replays if you need advice on anything 

GLHB!!

Atta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Atta

WARNING: I have never played Starcraft 2 and only played the campaign in Starcraft 1. I also never watched a match of any starcraft league thing. don't trust anything I say unless other ppl say the same. only trying to help

1. always build workers and make sure to rally them to a mineral chunk. never leave a worker to stand around picking its nose. make sure you always remember what you did last with a certain worker and estimate how long it will need for said task, then send them to gather resources again. (never ever watch them build a building, you could be doing so much more during that) 
    2. make sure you keep your resources low. if you are constantly building workers then at some point you can't keep your resources low JUST by making them so make sure you regularly build units/buildings. don't let any resource go above 500 (i think it was) 
    3. never ever let the computer tell you that you need to build more pylons/overlords/supply depots. make sure you always keep that in mind 
    4. go to google.com and type in --> day 9 mental checklist. his other videos are great to, but if I remember correctly, this was his best (at least out of 3 or so videos I was. seriously, those videos are fucking long). it will really detail the right mindset you need to have for competitive play 

I hope that helped. And hope none of it was redundant or just blatantly wrong. have a good one :) 

WARNING: I have never played Starcraft 2 and only played the campaign in Starcraft 1. I also never watched a match of any starcraft league thing. don't trust anything I say unless other ppl say the same. only trying to help

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189

Make void rays

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Riddell

Day9

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Stan Bush

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0799277f8eb
    deactivated-5d0799277f8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me, let's have some practice matches. 
    Costello.128 on the NA servers. 

crypticsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crypticsc
    @Chronologist said:

" Go watch Day[9] would be my advice to you. He's great at explaining the game in other terms than build-orders and counters, and certainly gave me a totally new understanding of the game. 
    Watch this one for starters:  http://blip.tv/file/3732340/?utm_source=blip&utm_medium=site_search&utm_content=itnk&utm_campaign=s_ab And then generally his Newbie Tuedays are great for guys wanting to learn, He made two dailies about mechanics as well which are definitely worth a watch. Otherwise just the standard things you'll hear from everyone: 1. always be build workers 2. keep your money low 3. Scout   GLHB "

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3991475/ is also very good to watch  
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

My advice (besides what has already been said) is to know your units and structure/tech tree, your enemies units and structure/tech tree, and know the map you are playing on. I played a 1v1 practice match last night against a 'toss opponent, and lost after some battling. My big mistake was not countering the massive army of void rays the dude brought out. I just kept making Marines, Marauders and Siege Tanks with nary a medivac (or any air unit, for that matter, I ended the game without a starport) in sight. So in short, don't leave your enemy any (or as little as possible) opportunity for attack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.