Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Spoilers- Don't come here if you haven't finished the campaign.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DG991

Ok... so I finished the SC2 campaign, mostly everything done on brutal...  
     Can we all agree that the ending of the story sucked?  
     "Walks into cave, picks up chick, shoots  tychus in the face, walks out, lives happily ever after derka derka" 

I enjoyed the game, but it seems like that ending was abrupt and stupid. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

For me it's more like "the story so far" with the Zerg and 'Tossers campaign still missing and by then it will be a whole lot better. 
    So no, I can't agree with you. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

Besides not being surprising in the least (Tychus' betrayal was "foreshadowed" to the point where he might as well have been yelling "I'm going to betray you" the entire game), I thought it turned out just fine. It was a much more fitting end than I was expecting for something that is supposed to be a third of a story. 

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By slax
    @ZeForgotten said:
    " For me it's more like "the story so far" with the Zerg and 'Tossers campaign still missing and by then it will be a whole lot better. So no, I can't agree with you.  "
    This is how I felt too. It was a good way to wrap up that plot while leaving a lot of questions unanswered to be answered later. Also the secret mission brought a lot of story to the table too.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Slax said:
    " @ZeForgotten said:
    " For me it's more like "the story so far" with the Zerg and 'Tossers campaign still missing and by then it will be a whole lot better. So no, I can't agree with you.  "
    This is how I felt too. It was a good way to wrap up that plot while leaving a lot of questions unanswered to be answered later. Also the secret mission brought a lot of story to the table too. "
    I thought I was crazy for thinking that way, glad someone agrees. 
    I also agree with the secret mission brining a lot of story into the mix
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB
    @Slax: Except that it didn't really. It just reiterated what we already knew from the Starcraft: Brood War secret mission.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

It was more of a , " were gonna leave it like this because we want you to think of the possibilities about why all these things have happened before we release the next campaign story"    Which sorta did make me think about how this Xel'Naga artifact actually turned kerrigan back to a human and how it will play out in the Zerg Campaign.  Then it made me think about the inevitable encounter with the Xel'Naga in the future, or are the hybrids actually the xel'naga and they just evolved into the zerg and protoss at some point in the past.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By slax
    @ZeForgotten said:
    " @Slax said:
    " @ZeForgotten said:
    This is how I felt too. It was a good way to wrap up that plot while leaving a lot of questions unanswered to be answered later. Also the secret mission brought a lot of story to the table too. "
    I thought I was crazy for thinking that way, glad someone agrees. I also agree with the secret mission bringing a lot of story into the mix "
    No, not crazy at all. It had to fulfill the requirements for any 1st part of a trilogy. Like character introduction, the story of the universe so far etc. If it went to far into the story there wouldn't be anything compelling in the next two chapters.
    DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I thought the ending was perfectly fine, considering there are still two expansions to be made.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By august
    @DG991 said:

" Ok... so I finished the SC2 campaign, mostly everything done on brutal...   Can we all agree that the ending of the story sucked?   "Walks into cave, picks up chick, shoots  tychus in the face, walks out, lives happily ever after derka derka"

You really think that's what's gonna happen?

Really?
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nephrahim

It was kind of lame, I agree. 

I really like Blizzard, but this one was kind of lame.  I am hopeful they can do better in the next two exspantions.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Slax said:
    " @ZeForgotten said:
    " @Slax said:
    " @ZeForgotten said:
    I thought I was crazy for thinking that way, glad someone agrees. I also agree with the secret mission bringing a lot of story into the mix "
    No, not crazy at all. It had to fulfill the requirements for any 1st part of a trilogy. Like character introduction, the story of the universe so far etc. If it went to far into the story there wouldn't be anything compelling in the next two chapters. "
    Again I can only agree. 
    There have been games where there wasn't really anything left for the next in the series. 
    Games where the first one got so far into the story you freaking knew how it would end and who would betray who and you could kinda guess what was gonna happen to certain characters in those games. 

I'm actually glad that StarCraft 2 has left me wanting more. 
    Obviously I would have wished for them to make it like the original StarCraft where all campaigns came in the same game but that's more me being cheap :P
    GhostCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By GhostCrab

I'm more worried about how she's gonna get rid of those head tendrills...  Also, they're far from happily ever after at the end, the only thing that kind of wrapped up was Kerrigan turning into a human, but I'll wager she'll either be still crazy and homicidal, or racked with guilt over killing billions of humans and protoss while she was the Queen of Blades.  The ending only seemed abrupt because it was supposed to be a cliffhanger.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainObvious

I thought it was pretty good, makes you think about what happens next. 

I also felt sorry for Tychus. He was my favorite character even though I knew that he was going to betray Jimmy right from the start.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FateOfNever
    @Marz said:
    " It was more of a , " were gonna leave it like this because we want you to think of the possibilities about why all these things have happened before we release the next campaign story"    Which sorta did make me think about how this Xel'Naga artifact actually turned kerrigan back to a human and how it will play out in the Zerg Campaign.  Then it made me think about the inevitable encounter with the Xel'Naga in the future, or are the hybrids actually the xel'naga and they just evolved into the zerg and protoss at some point in the past. "
    From my understanding - the hybrids are, and aren't, the xel'naga.  The xel'naga created the protoss and the zerg with the intent that some day down the line, after the xel'naga have died, that they (the protoss and the zerg, which are the two 'pure' parts of the xel'naga) would naturally find a way that they would start to merge together on their own; and when this happened, the xel'naga would be reborn.  However, the keys there are that the xel'naga made both species with the intent that they would 'naturally' merge together as a species at some point while the hybrids are forced genetics on the two species and, as a result, are impure monstrosities that aren't what the xel'naga ever intended them to be.  So, why in the most basic sense the hybrids are probably a 'type' of xel'naga, they're not actually xel'naga.  If any of that made any sense at all.

As for the end of the game - I actually thought the end of the game was actually pretty decent.  I mean, it left a good number of questions - for example, is Kerrigan actually 'human' again?  Is her link with the zerg severed or can she still control them?  Are the remaining zerg going to be swept up by the hybrids or are they kind of 'on their own' now?  I also didn't take as big of an issue with Tychus' betrayal.  While yes it was obvious that he was probably going to betray you at some point, in my opinion, he didn't so much betray Jimmy as he chose to cash in on Jimmy's favor.  Tychus never came off to me as a man that would be happy dying because some suit in some control room somewhere flipped some switch and terminated him; he came off as a guy that would want to die in battle - so that's what he did.  If Tychus had truly betrayed you and truly wanted to kill Kerrigan, he would have.  He had more than a clear shot to take her out before Jimmy even would have had time to respond; and even after Jimmy knew what Tychus was planning, Tychus could have set sights on Jimmy first, popped him, and then popped Kerrigan but he didn't.  So, it's my belief that Tychus just called in his favor from Jimmy to die on a battlefield at the hands of a friend rather than dying by the push of a button at the hands of an enemy.  Maybe I'm wrong though. 
    Rodigee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rodigee
    @DG991 said:

" Ok... so I finished the SC2 campaign, mostly everything done on brutal...   Can we all agree that the ending of the story sucked?   "Walks into cave, picks up chick, shoots  tychus in the face, walks out, lives happily ever after derka derka"  I enjoyed the game, but it seems like that ending was abrupt and stupid.  "

How the hell did you beat that last mission on brutal? I tried to beat on hard for several hours before giving up and beating it on normal.
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Liam_mk

Maybe I'm dum, but I didn't see the tychus thing coming, or the artifacts working. So I was happily surprised. But the lack of Samir Duran made me angry.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DG991
    @Liam_mk: Did you talk to characters in the game?
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Liam_mk
    @DG991:  Yeah but I didn't like any of the characters other than Tychus, so my love for his raw sexuality must have blinded me.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FateOfNever
    @Liam_mk said:

" Maybe I'm dum, but I didn't see the tychus thing coming, or the artifacts working. So I was happily surprised. But the lack of Samir Duran made me angry. "

But... Duran quite possibly was in the game.  I mean, Dr. Narud was wanting people to collect these artifacts for him, and Kerrigan "knew who he was" and "what his plans for the artifacts were" - which he brushed off as quickly and generically as possible.  And as soon as we saved him he vanished as quickly as he could.  Remember - Duran has had many faces and many names.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @DG991 said:
    " Ok... so I finished the SC2 campaign, mostly everything done on brutal...   Can we all agree that the ending of the story sucked?   "Walks into cave, picks up chick, shoots  tychus in the face, walks out, lives happily ever after derka derka"  I enjoyed the game, but it seems like that ending was abrupt and stupid.  "
    I thought the ending had an incredibly powerful moment, when Tychus placed his laser sight on Kerrigan and just waited.  If he wanted to he could have shot her before anyone had a chance to react, but he wanted to give Raynor the chance to make a choice, a chance that Mengsk had robbed Tychus of.  Despite his anger, despite his greed, despite his utter lack of nobility and soldier's sense of self-preservation, in the end his sense of loyalty and friendship won out.  He gave his life for his friend Jimmy the only way he knew how.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @FateOfNever said:
    But... Duran quite possibly was in the game.  I mean, Dr. Narud was wanting people to collect these artifacts for him, and Kerrigan "knew who he was" and "what his plans for the artifacts were" - which he brushed off as quickly and generically as possible.  And as soon as we saved him he vanished as quickly as he could.  Remember - Duran has had many faces and many names. "
    OMG good catch, lol "Narud" *mind blown*
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Liam_mk
    @FateOfNever said:

" @Liam_mk said:

" Maybe I'm dum, but I didn't see the tychus thing coming, or the artifacts working. So I was happily surprised. But the lack of Samir Duran made me angry. "

But... Duran quite possibly was in the game.  I mean, Dr. Narud was wanting people to collect these artifacts for him, and Kerrigan "knew who he was" and "what his plans for the artifacts were" - which he brushed off as quickly and generically as possible.  And as soon as we saved him he vanished as quickly as he could.  Remember - Duran has had many faces and many names. "
    Are you suggesting that we may have a metal gear solid 1 liquid style reveal in the next game?
    Durandal377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Durandal377
    @FateOfNever: And now that you mention it, Narud is totally Duran backwards, so that seems all too likely. I really want to see how this whole thing shakes out.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sjupp
    @DG991 said:
    "Walks into cave, picks up chick, shoots  tychus in the face, walks out, lives happily ever after derka derka"
    Well it is a TRILOGY. It's not like this is the end of the story.
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nephrahim

Yeah, I'm 90% sure that was  Duran. 

I mean, in the secret mission (And I assume I don't need to mark spoilers here) you find out the TERRANS are the ones making the Hybrids, so it's most likely Duran heading up their R&R as Dr.   Narud.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Liam_mk
    @Durandal377:  Holy shit your right DURAN is to totally NARUD backwards!
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DG991
    @Sjupp: it was still an abrupt, obvious, and imo lame end, thats what I had a problem with mostly. 
    I am satisfied with my purchase still btw.
    Deckard42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deckard42

I saw Tychus coming from the beginning of the game, but I thought the ending was good enough, not fantastic though. 

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ares42

Already spouted this enough on these forums, but if you ask me the entire story sucked. There was so little of any relevance going on. I've yet to see anyone making a single good argument explaining what was good about the story.

@StarvingGamer said:

" @DG991 said:
    I thought the ending had an incredibly powerful moment, when Tychus placed his laser sight on Kerrigan and just waited.  If he wanted to he could have shot her before anyone had a chance to react, but he wanted to give Raynor the chance to make a choice, a chance that Mengsk had robbed Tychus of.  Despite his anger, despite his greed, despite his utter lack of nobility and soldier's sense of self-preservation, in the end his sense of loyalty and friendship won out.  He gave his life for his friend Jimmy the only way he knew how. "

If this was the case, why did he shoot ? Why didn't he just sacrifice himself instead ?
    EggPuppet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EggPuppet
    @Liam_mk said:
    " @Durandal377:  Holy shit your right DURAN is to totally NARUD backwards! "
    I like to look to this if there's ever any doubt in my mind that SC2's writing is awful.
    zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By zidane_24

Narud and Duran also have practically the same facial hair, not that it matters a whole lot. But hell, maybe ALL HIS FORMS have that facial hair.  

And yeah, I'm waiting to pass judgment on the story until all of the story happens.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By TheHT
    @Ares42 said:
    " Already spouted this enough on these forums, but if you ask me the entire story sucked. There was so little of any relevance going on. I've yet to see anyone making a single good argument explaining what was good about the story.

@StarvingGamer said:

" @DG991 said:
    I thought the ending had an incredibly powerful moment, when Tychus placed his laser sight on Kerrigan and just waited.  If he wanted to he could have shot her before anyone had a chance to react, but he wanted to give Raynor the chance to make a choice, a chance that Mengsk had robbed Tychus of.  Despite his anger, despite his greed, despite his utter lack of nobility and soldier's sense of self-preservation, in the end his sense of loyalty and friendship won out.  He gave his life for his friend Jimmy the only way he knew how. "

If this was the case, why did he shoot ? Why didn't he just sacrifice himself instead ? "
    Probably because then he wouldn't have gotten killed, they'd just be squaring off barrel to barrel. It had to be quick and instinctive.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thule

Blizzard said the Zerg campaign was focused on expanding Kerrigan's personal power. The ending of WoL gives them the perfect setup to do so. It's probably going to be similar to the Armoury upgrades for Terrans, but instead it'll be upgrades on Kerrigan's person that'll make her able to use different powers and use different units. 

Personally I thought the ending was okay, considering what they want to do with Kerrigan's character and redeem her. The In Utter Darkness mission already kinda showed what they want to do: The Terrans, Protoss and Kerrigan's Zerg unite to fight the Xelnaga and their Hybrids. 

I also missed the Dr.Narud = Duran thing. But it makes sense he was involved. Personally I can't make sense of what Mengsk Junior's angle is in all this. He seems like a nice guy who wants to prove "he is a worthy successor to his father", but he exudes douche.  Is that seriously his only motivation? I suspect it's him working with Duran and he's the major bad guy in all this. He's worked with Dr.Narud after all and we've got no proof of Mensgk doing the same. Mengsk even banned the trade in alien artifacts. He may be a tyrant and an asshole, but I can't see him working with any kind of alien or alien technology. 

Ofcourse, if that's the case, it would make sense for him to take Kerrigan out of the picture. Remember that even though Raynor and Junior are working together up to the last cinematic, there's no saying he will keep doing so now that Kerrigan is semi-human again.  He mentioned his motivation was to redeem the greatest war criminal(Kerrigan) in history by making her human again, to prove he's a good successor, but I suspect differently.
    I think the Zerg campaign will begin immediatly after the end of the Terran campaign. Remember that the Dominion military still outnumber Raynor's Raider by a good amount on Char and Junior will probably capture Kerrigan to study her or to give her to Duran or something. So the Zerg campaign will begin with Kerrigan breaking out of the clutches of the Dominion military and regaining her powers over the Swarm, except this time she has a conscience and wishes to redeem herself for her crimes.

I'm just speculating.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35  Edited By spiceninja

I didn't think the ending sucked. I'm really wondering what they're going to do with the Zerg campaign now that Kerrigan is cured and all. I thought it was a great ending to part 1 or a 3 part story arch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.