Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Starcraft 2: is it all good?

• 56 results
    xxxxxxxrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xxxxxxxrick

If people are going to spend their hardearned cash based on reviews by GB and the like,  all I'm saying is that it can't hurt to step back, let the game sink in more. The lastest innovating steps in the RTS genre has been the big scale battles (Supreme Commander) and advanced strategies like in the Total War series. Even though Blizzard has big piles of cash and the game has been in devellopment for years, it's very muc 'old school' and doesn't  bring anything new to the table. sure, guess that's what Blizzard was aiming for. I'm not saying that's a bad thing because what is does, it does well, but this is not the next step in RTS gaming. Still, I think reviewers should make that point clear.. So check out my video in which I explain this more thorough.   

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TwoLines

Now that's more like it!
    Anyhoo, I like Starcraft, and since I'm pretty much a big Blizzard fanboy, I'm not getting into this discussion.
    I just think it's fun though, that's all that matters to me.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By RVonE

I concur. While I absolutely love Brad, I think his response to you was a little hasty and out of character. Surely he has more to say on the topic. 

EDIT: I wouldn't say StarCraft II is overrated, it's just that a lot of rviews I've seen are one-sided. I think StarCraft II really deserves the scores it's been getting, but some attention to its flaws and issues would be nice--or at least address some of the perceived flaws (no LAN support, for example).
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fwylo

The way I figure it. This game will be played like 10 years from now anyways.  So all I have to do is play it once about 10 years from now, and it will be like I financed it for $0.016/day.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Something makes me think you're Dutch.
    Begemot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Begemot

It's a very polished game. Top notch singleplayer (Interesting between missions gameplay, variety of gameplay in missions, etc). Top notch multiplayer (Very balanced, fun units to use, etc). And you can bet your sweet cheeks that there will be top notch custom games.

All of that together? Yes, 9+/10.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Semition

If you take a step back and wait a while, Starcraft 2 will probably end up outlasting all of the games you listed, because of its (relatively) polished and balanced multiplayer.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RVonE
    @SammydesinasNL said:
    "Something makes me think you're Dutch. "

It's easy to recognize us, right? :)
    Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Royale

the game is ridiculously awesome.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Rick:   Innovation is overrated.  Change for the sake of change is stupid.   No one that knew the starcraft franchise came into Starcraft 2 expecting anything but more starcraft.  To hope blizzard would change the game dramatically was a foolish wish.

Blizzard knew what they wanted to do.  They didn't want to innovate for RTS world.  That isn't their style.  They set out to make a better starcraft game, while making it still starcraft.  Changing it to a squad based game like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2 would completely destroy everything their fanbase has set up over the past 12 years.  There is a reason that Brood war, until the release of SC2, was still running tournaments.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @RVonE said:
    " I wouldn't say StarCraft II is overrated, it's just that a lot of rviews I've seen are one-sided. I think StarCraft II really deserves the scores it's been getting, but some attention to its flaws and issues would be nice--or at least address some of the perceived flaws (no LAN support, for example). "
    Yep. Not everything is sunshine and rainbows. 
    BetonneTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BetonneTom
    @RVonE: took me about 7 seconds, small touches do the trick.. i'm gonna say utrecht. also, screened has a link to rotterdam-4-life.com on it's frontpage ridiculous!  

also on topic: well reviews are not perfect and people are always gonna disagree. i thought brad's review of limbo was amazing. and although the relative short length of the game could be considered a definite drawback but i think it is not the job of the reviewer to tell you what is wrong about the game (jes i know this sounds crazy). On a site like giant bomb i read reviews to find out what an editor thinks about a game, not a definitive verdict. 
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RVonE
    @BetonneTom said:
    " @RVonE: also on topic: well reviews are not perfect and people are always gonna disagree. i thought brad's review of limbo was amazing. and although the relative short length of the game could be considered a definite drawback but i think it is not the job of the reviewer to tell you what is wrong about the game (jes i know this sounds crazy). On a site like giant bomb i read reviews to find out what an editor thinks about a game, not a definitive verdict.  "

Hmm, I kind of agree with this view point. I hadn't thought about it that way.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @BetonneTom said:

" @RVonE: took me about 7 seconds, small touches do the trick.. i'm gonna say utrecht. also, screened has a link to rotterdam-4-life.com on it's frontpage ridiculous!    also on topic: well reviews are not perfect and people are always gonna disagree. i thought brad's review of limbo was amazing. and although the relative short length of the game could be considered a definite drawback but i think it is not the job of the reviewer to tell you what is wrong about the game (jes i know this sounds crazy). On a site like giant bomb i read reviews to find out what an editor thinks about a game, not a definitive verdict.  "

Yep, still reviews sell a lot of games by themselves, so reviewers should be appreciative of that.  

People could also say that reviewers are becoming nicer with games in general, with a lot of high scores nowadays. 
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Rayeth

The issues I hear from you:

• Lack of Zoom
    • Small/Medium Maps
    • Pathways too Small
    • No cover/formations
    • Lack of strategy

2 of these 4 complaints are due to the mapmaking, which can (and actively is) being rectified by the community.  For example, Fighting Spirit (a widely respected Brood War map) has been adapted and played already it is quite a bit larger than some of the current maps in the pool.  In fact ICCup.tv is running an entire series of matches  on maps built by community members, which are all over the size chart.

The Zoom issue is to addrss competitive gaming.  If Zooming out was allowed players with larger and more powerful computers would be at a distinct advantage over other players.  Simple.  Now if you don't like the competitive aspect of the game, that's fine, but the reasoning is there to promote esports and competitive gaming.  Any other RTS which doesn't implement this is, might be "newer" and "less old school" but would also be unfair.

As to cover and formations, I agree they could have implemented them in some way.  However there are PLENTY of RTS games without this feature.  The CoH and DoW style RTS are not the end-all-be-all of the genre (despite being amazing games in their own right).   C&C (which has turned into a terrible franchise, sadly) does not use cover and AFAIK neither does Supreme Commander (though I haven't played it so I might be wrong there) or Warcraft III.  The latter two of which are played competitively as well.

To the lack of strategy, I'm sorry but you are just plain wrong.  Out flanking and out maneuvering your opponent is still very much a part of Starcraft.  There is a large focus on economy in this game, yes, but a cunning opponent will be able to outwit a purely economic player by attacking at strategic timings and locations.  If you can't see that, then you should really give the game another chance. 

I won't lie, your basic premise--that the game is unabashedly old-school--is right.  Starcraft IS old-school.  However, if you go back and compare this game to Brood War (STILL the exemplar of the RTS genre), its is leaps and bounds newer.  Stuff is automated (like figuring out which workers to mine at what patch, overkill prevention AI, units that can shoot while moving, etc), graphics are top of the line (despite not being allowed to zoom out, you can certainly zoom in), and the gameplay is still frantic and every bit as great as Brood War was and still is.   If you really don't like this type of fast-paced competitive RTS, fine, but don't criticize other reviewers for disagreeing with you.
    sting771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sting771

The problem is it has been twelve years and RTS design is pretty stale on the whole.  No one has tackled the hard problems of the sterile lack of interactivity in the maps, Company of heroes shows that taking RTS to the next level can be done.  Those who say starcraft doesn't need to take the next step are easily entertained by stale rehashed game designs, and people wonder why the game industry is in such a shitty state these days.  I think gaming has just been invaded by newbs, and all the old school gamers who actually play a wide variety of games is dwindling you have people now that only play WoW and think "it's the best ever!"  

Most people, and hence most of the gaming population are sheep, this is a fact.

Intelligent criticism of games and gaming cannot happen when you are a newb who's only played a few games or don't have the IQ to see a games flaws.

Typical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Typical

The only problem I have with starcraft is that its very hard to get used to it if it is your first RTS.
    sting771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sting771
    @Typical said:

" The only problem I have with starcraft is that its very hard to get used to it if it is your first RTS. "

What specifically is hard about starcraft?  Is it having too much to manage?  They have whole tutorial missions for newbs in SC2, so much handholding it's almost disturbing for an older gamer like myself.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Semition
    @sting771 said:

" @Typical said:

" The only problem I have with starcraft is that its very hard to get used to it if it is your first RTS. "
    What specifically is hard about starcraft?  They have whole tutorial missions for newbs in SC2, so much handholding it's almost disturbing for an older gamer like myself. "
    Whether you are young or not, you're comments are so 14 that it's amazing. I have never seen a grown person so strongly emphasize how much of an "expert gamer" or "older gamer" that they are.
    Sorrowsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sorrowsan

i love brads reviews.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ryax

i bet you're complaining because you got beat in a few matches of multiplayer

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ares42

The single-player is definitely overrated, but combined with the MP the game deserves a 9/10 in my book. I'd say it's wrong to ding it for "old" gameplay though, it's just a different style. I like to compare it to shooters. Quake came out 14 years ago yet noone complains about the huge FPS successes using outdated gameplay, even though it's the exact same thing. And it's not like there haven't been innovations in that genre either (3rd person, cover, leaning etc). Just because one game introduces something new doesn't necessarily make the old outdated. In the end SC is more of a macro-RTS sorta like games like Settlers or the Anno series (although not as extreme), which shows this style of RTSs is still valid.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By Levio

SC2 is/was overrated, but its still worth 60 bucks.  Now, is it worth the full 180 + Collectors edition pricing?  Hell no.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Teran
    @Rick said:
     The lastest innovating steps in the RTS genre has been the big scale battles (Supreme Commander) and advanced strategies like in the Total War series.

Innovation is not a linear path.  In my opinion the most innovative rts released this year was Dawn of War 2... it's an rts game that actually manages to be fun... first time in a long time I didn't feel like I was managing a spread sheet and that spread sheet was going out and killing my enemies.  I think blizzard went in a step in this direction for the single player and that's innovation in my book.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Levio said:
    " SC2 is/was overrated, but its still worth 60 bucks.  Now, is it worth the full 180 + Collectors edition pricing?  Hell no. "
    Your evidence to back up your claims are amazing and well thought out.  I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @Fragstoff: He wasn't bashing the game, he simply thought it didn't deserve all of the critical and universal acclaim it receives. I somewhat agree with him, it could've expanded it's RTS gameplay more and could've added innovations for it. Still, it's an excellent game with near flawless gameplay. A lot of people complain about the lack of lan-support, but I always found lan-multi-player for PC games to be messy and cumbersome. It wasn't a big deal for me. My main problems with the game were the cheesy dialog, Halo 2esque cliff-hanger ending, and only one single-player race mode.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rockdalf

I thought about what you said and I agree with you.  I think that most of these reviews are subjective, because they're based off of opinions from people who played starcraft themselves in the late 90's.  That's not to say this isn't a great game, much worthy of praise, but if you have played and enjoyed Starcraft during that era (like myself and many others) you pretty much know that Blizzard hasn't dropped the ball here. 

However, from a person who may be slightly newer to the RTS genre or gaming as a whole, praise filled reviews, may send the wrong message. 

Is this an excellent game?  Absolutely.  Is this game for everyone?  Not a chance. 

While this game may be extremely accessible to newcomers, it may not be equally appealing. 

I think this is what you're trying to say?  

Now it's time for me to go back to playing some Starcraft II.

sting771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sting771
    @Semition said:

" @sting771 said:

" @Typical said:

What specifically is hard about starcraft?  They have whole tutorial missions for newbs in SC2, so much handholding it's almost disturbing for an older gamer like myself. "
    Whether you are young or not, you're comments are so 14 that it's amazing. I have never seen a grown person so strongly emphasize how much of an "expert gamer" or "older gamer" that they are. "
    Given that the only thing you do in an RTS is tell units to move places and once in a while press a button que up the next unit, I mean come on?  It's not like anyone here is playing Descent, one of the pinnacles of gaming badassery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_(video_game)  

I'd like to see people who have a "difficult time" playing an RTS try to tackle full 3D action game classic like D.  I'd get it on camera and put the hilarious fumbling on youtube... Haha.  Gamers today have no stomach for mastery, they want everything to cater to non-existent skills.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rockdalf
    @sting771 said:
    " @Semition said:

" @sting771 said:

" @Typical said:

Whether you are young or not, you're comments are so 14 that it's amazing. I have never seen a grown person so strongly emphasize how much of an "expert gamer" or "older gamer" that they are. "
    Given that the only thing you do in an RTS is tell units to move places and once in a while press a button que up the next unit, I mean come on?  It's not like anyone here is playing Descent, one of the pinnacles of gaming badassery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_(video_game)   I'd like to see people who have a "difficult time" playing an RTS try to tackle full 3D action game classic like D.  I'd get it on camera and put the hilarious fumbling on youtube... Haha.  Gamers today have no stomach for mastery, they want everything to cater to non-existent skills. "
    What you just posted did not discredit his post in the least.  It would behoove you to recognize that presenting yourself as an "authority" on a subject matter, does not support your statements in the least, so when you come off looking like a tool, responding with "No, I really know a lot about games" only makes you appear more as one. 
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Milkman

THIS guy got called out on the Bombcast too! INTERNET BEEFS!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Milkman

Also, after watching this video, your claims are unfair. A review is always going to be a subjective thing. You're never going to get a completely objective review because it's always going to reflect the opinion of the reviewer. Because....well, that's what a review is. It's not hard. Another thing, way too much stock in numbers. A lot of talking about 9s and 10s. Who cares? Last thing, your points aren't really valid. You say small maps as if it's a shortcoming of the game and as if Blizzard was just too lazy to make bigger maps, which doesn't really fly. The maps are small because that's how the game is structured. The missions are focused and so unlike most traditional RTS missions that you can't just say "Okay, here's the biggest map. Make the biggest army and stop the enemy". That's not what the game is about. Your other stuff doesn't make much sense either. I think the models look fine but I'll admit it's not the greatest looking game but that was a clear focus of Blizzard. They didn't want to make a system hog that only the most high-end PCs could play for the one clear reason: Korea. In Korea, Starcraft is playing in internet cafes around the country that don't have power house PCs. And finally, no interactivity with environments? Go play a Relic RTS. That's not what Starcraft is.

gg

Mads76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Mads76

So should I buy starcraft II ??

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thatfrood

People like to throw that word around a lot, "innovation". I don't really think they know what it means, they seem to be using it as a crutch. It's an unfair argument to make because you can't argue against it. I can give you a myriad of reasons why Starcraft II is complex, rewarding and fun, but all you have to do is say "it doesn't innovate". It's a lazy argument and a poor one.

sting771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sting771

@Rockdalf
    said:  "   What you just posted did not discredit his post in the least.  It would behoove you to recognize that presenting yourself as an "authority" on a subject matter, does not support your statements in the least, so when you come off looking like a tool, responding with "No, I really know a lot about games" only makes you appear more as one.  "" 

Sorry but you've just proved you are a giant fanboy.  His post said absolutely nothing.  RTS games are some of the simplest games around. Everything is abstracted from the player the most a player is required to do is merely move units around and watch their resources, too much for todays ADHD generation of course.  There is an issue with RTS games new players will complain if the game is too slow paced (supreme commander) and will complain if it's too fast paced (starcraft 2).  There's no way to cater to these essentially non-gamers.  Check out all the reviews of supcom lambasting it for it being "tedious" and "slow".  Most gamers can't put a coherent sentence together when it comes to game criticism.  They can never pin down exactly why they like it or why they dislike it to discerning degree which makes their views completely irrelevant because they are essentially incapable of forming coherent thoughts about games to begin with.  So any praise they heap on a game is meaningless - they couldn't even tell you in discerning detail what is great about the game just that they like it, they will throw words around like "complex" "rewarding" "fun" and "gameplay" without being able to form a coherent thought about what defines the word "gameplay".  Gameplay is about interactivity and unit actions, you hardly ever find a coherent breakdown of what units do, what they don't do, what you wished they did, why they or the scenario you are playing is boring, etc.  You just get vague crap like you're spewing with no detail at all. 
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rockdalf
    @sting771 said:
    "
    @Rockdalf
    said:  "   What you just posted did not discredit his post in the least.  It would behoove you to recognize that presenting yourself as an "authority" on a subject matter, does not support your statements in the least, so when you come off looking like a tool, responding with "No, I really know a lot about games" only makes you appear more as one.  ""  Sorry but you've just proved you are a giant fanboy.  His post said absolutely nothing.  RTS games are some of the simplest games around. Everything is abstracted from the player the most a player is required to do is merely move units around and watch their resources, too much for todays ADHD generation of course.  There is an issue with RTS games new players will complain if the game is too slow paced (supreme commander) and will complain if it's too fast paced (starcraft 2).  There's no way to cater to these essentially non-gamers.  Check out all the reviews of supcom lambasting it for it being "tedious" and "slow".  Most gamers can't put a coherent sentence together when it comes to game criticism.  They can never pin down exactly why they like it or why they dislike it to discerning degree which makes their views completely irrelevant because they are essentially incapable of forming coherent thoughts about games to begin with.  So any praise they heap on a game is meaningless - they couldn't even tell you in discerning detail what is great about the game just that they like it, they will throw words around like "complex" "rewarding" "fun" and "gameplay" without being able to form a coherent thought about what defines the word "gameplay".  Gameplay is about interactivity and unit actions, you hardly ever find a coherent breakdown of what units do, what they don't do, what you wished they did, why they or the scenario you are playing is boring, etc.  You just get vague crap like you're spewing with no detail at all.  "

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Detrian
    @ThatFrood said:
    " People like to throw that word around a lot, "innovation". I don't really think they know what it means, they seem to be using it as a crutch. It's an unfair argument to make because you can't argue against it. I can give you a myriad of reasons why Starcraft II is complex, rewarding and fun, but all you have to do is say "it doesn't innovate". It's a lazy argument and a poor one. "
    Except it plays like a game that came out in 1998. Just think of other games that you played in 1998 and how their genres play today and you can see why it's such a big problem for some people.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By phrosnite

Dude, I think this game is a solid 9 because it's polished to hell and back and also bnet2.0 but this game isn't anywhere near 9.5 or 10. The SP has so many BS in it.
    And yes I bitch about 0.5s. To me games that get a 10 should be well... perfect or almost perfect and SCII isn't perfect because of it's average campaign.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thatfrood
    @Detrian said:

" @ThatFrood said:

" People like to throw that word around a lot, "innovation". I don't really think they know what it means, they seem to be using it as a crutch. It's an unfair argument to make because you can't argue against it. I can give you a myriad of reasons why Starcraft II is complex, rewarding and fun, but all you have to do is say "it doesn't innovate". It's a lazy argument and a poor one. "

Except it plays like a game that came out in 1998. Just think of other games that you played in 1998 and how their genres play today and you can see why it's such a big problem for some people. "
    Again, I don't know what you're saying.
    What do you mean "plays like" a game from 1998? What is it about Starcraft's gameplay is dated? Is it the requirement to constantly be clicking? Just because a game demands you always be making decisions doesn't make it dated, it's exactly that aspect of Starcraft that means one can always improve on their game.
    You aren't making any specific point, you're throwing around nebulous terms as a crutch for an argument that makes no sense.

Maybe you'll throw at me games like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War, saying those were games that "innovated". Sure, I can agree they made some pretty interesting changes, but why were those changes such a huge deal that now they've become what every RTS should be? My impression was that the important thing is that a game is fun to play and from what I'm hearing and what I've personally experienced, Starcraft is fun
    I play more RTS games then you can shake a stick at, I've played RTS games I'm sure you've never heard of like Men of War, Cossacks and Majesty 2. I've played Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire, SupCom, Red Alert, Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology. Seriously. I've played all of these and enjoyed them.
    And I still enjoy Starcraft 2, I enjoy it more than a lot of those listed, even. RTS isn't some cookie cutter genre, there is room for a lot of different types of RTS, from the hero-oriented, almost DOTA like gameplay of Dawn of War to the massive battles of SupCom. There's also room for the niche that Starcraft fills, gameplay that is clearly still very much in demand and still very fun and rewarding. Why are you complaining that Starcraft isn't different? You can get that from a million other RTS games. I come to Starcraft for highly competitive, strenuous and rewarding gameplay. And that's what I get from Starcraft 2.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Detrian

Stop being willfully stupid.  For someone who claims to have played all those games (which, surprise, I've played as well and more) you sure are spouting some dumb stuff.

What I mean is that StarCraft 2 plays exactly like the first did. Things like free camera control, being able to select all the units you want, not having to get workers collecting resources, no base building, direct control of units, hero units, special global powers not tied to a unit, realistic damage models, autonomous units, morale systems, having the sky and the underground as literal layers on a map with their own resources and possibilities to build bases, leveling up units, units scavenging items from other units, fucking water based units for god's sake. All awesome things RTS games have done since StarCraft that SC2 doesn't even think about trying. 

It's not about things becoming "the standard". It's about trying to make a better fucking game.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ares42
    @Detrian:  
    Things like free camera control,  How does this make gameplay better?
    being able to select all the units you want,  already in the game
    not having to get workers collecting resources,  SC2 is a macro game
    no base building,  same as workers
    direct control of units,  what does this even mean ?
    hero units,  doesn't fit in a macro game
    special global powers not tied to a unit,  very hard to balance, and tends to ruin what could be an even game
    realistic damage models,  what would this accomplish ?
    autonomous units,  isn't this in the game ?
    morale systems,  same as special powers
    having the sky and the underground as literal layers on a map with their own resources and possibilities to build bases,  SC2 maps are already layered
    leveling up units,  unnecessary boost to the player already ahead
    units scavenging items from other units,  same as levelling
    fucking water based units for god's sake.  Why do you want units that can only exist on a certain part of the map ?
    Tweedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tweedster
    @Rick: I think it's a very competent duplicate of the original Starcraft, with a few new twists, units, etc ... Not everything needs to be a radical departure to be "fun". Sometimes it's a good idea to bring a similar experience to a new generation. The time between Starcraft and Starcraft 2 is much longer than most "sequels". I think more of the same thing is not bad just because it's more of the same in all cases.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Clinkz

Its not as groundbreaking as Warcraft 3 but I am enjoying it so far.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Detrian said:

" Stop being willfully stupid.  For someone who claims to have played all those games (which, surprise, I've played as well and more) you sure are spouting some dumb stuff.  What I mean is that StarCraft 2 plays exactly like the first did. Things like free camera control, being able to select all the units you want, not having to get workers collecting resources, no base building, direct control of units, hero units, special global powers not tied to a unit, realistic damage models, autonomous units, morale systems, having the sky and the underground as literal layers on a map with their own resources and possibilities to build bases, leveling up units, units scavenging items from other units, fucking water based units for god's sake. All awesome things RTS games have done since StarCraft that SC2 doesn't even think about trying.   It's not about things becoming "the standard". It's about trying to make a better fucking game. "

Free camera control:  This is a game about Macro and Micro and the balance of the two.  If by free camera control, you mean a supreme commander style, that would destroy the game in its current form. 

Select all the units you want: You can.  Click and drag.

Not having to get workers collecting resources: That would change Starcraft into a completely different game.  That is not what they wanted to do.  Needing workers to gather money is part of the strategy.  In multiplayer, going for the mineral line is a tactic to disrupt their economy.  If you just had unlimited resources, you couldn't effect anything.  Plus in single player, you can already do the research to get automatic gas.

No base building: Once again, you are asking them to COMPLETELY change the game and how it plays.  That is NOT what they wanted to do.  They wanted to make a better Starcraft, and they did.

Direct control of units: What does that even mean?  You want to control one unit, pick one unit.  Its called Micromanagement.   Issuing a lot of orders to a select group of units instead of just a big blob doing a general attack order.

Hero units: Once again, that is not what Starcraft is.  They did that in Warcraft 3.  A lot of people didn't like warcraft 3.  There are hero units in some of the singleplayer missions.

Special global powers not tied to a unit: What would be the point of this?  Just an ability with a cooldown you can use?  Why?  Why does it need to not be tied to a unit, that gives strategy.  You take that unit out, you can't use it anymore.

Realistic damage models: I don't know what you are trying to say with this one.

Autonomous units: You are playing a game, not watching guys run around on the screen doing whatever they want.  There are already levels of this anyway.  You can set move points in order, you can set attack points in order.  You can have one builder make several buildings in a row by holding down shift.

Morale system: Why?  What would this add?  "Oh no, my guys are losing morale, let me hit this button to bring it back up."  At this point your list of "why didn't blizzard do this" is just a list of features from other games.

Having the sky and the underground as literal layers on a map with their own resources and possibilities to build bases:  I don't see what this would add.  There are expansions all over the maps, you are saying that it would be better if one of those was floating and one was underground?

Water units = air units in Starcraft

I'm not gonna bother to finish.  You are just listing features from other games you want Blizzard to emulate in there game and completely destroy everything that makes it starcraft.
    infamous021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By infamous021
    @Detrian:
      I suggest games like CoH or World in Conflict for that kind of RTS experience. SC2 is a different game dude.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
    deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Rick:   Innovation is overrated.  Change for the sake of change is stupid."  

Let me paraphrase this: innovation for innovation's sake is a gimmick.  Innovations should be meaningful solutions to serious problems.  SCII does this.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thatfrood

I think you're butthurt. I think you're butthurt that you've enjoyed strategy games for so much longer and now a strategy game has come out that is popular and you want everyone to know that they're all wrong, you know strategy games and you like the better ones.
    So congratulations to you sir, you've managed to make yourself feel superior to a group of people who are actively bringing interest back into your "favorite genre".
    I'm just gonna be over here, enjoying the fucking game.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ares42
    @infamous021 said:
    " @Ares42:  I suggest games like CoH or World in Conflict for that kind of RTS experience. SC2 is a different game dude. "
    huh? think you missed that I was replying to someone else complaining about SC2 not being like the games you mentioned :P
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DG991

Games good, but it does have flaws. It is not perfect. It is as close to perfection as any game can get, but it still has flaws that should be pointed out. 
    The problem I had with the review was every single person KNEW what Brad would write before he wrote it. I like Brad and his reviews but he is a self admitted fan boy of the game. The review was pointless, there was even a "Hint: It's good" or something on the front page poking fun at the fact that EVERYONE knew the outcome of the review.
     The game review should have gone to Ryan. He would be the best unbiased person for the review because like he says in the podcast he hasn't even played the game yet.  

But in the end, I pre ordered the game. I am not mad about the review, everyone still loves giant bomb, and Rick is simply pointing out the truth. I'll be interested in seeing the reviews for the next installment in the SC2 series. 

MrHammeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrHammeh

I really like Crown Royal to drink.  If they came out with something new, I would want it to taste very similar not totally different.  If it did taste the same with some slight refinements I would review it as a good drink.  Point being, if SC in general is not your flavor of choice then it wont appease you no matter what they do.  For what it is and what they set out to do, I believe the reviews have been spot on really. 

xxxxxxxrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By xxxxxxxrick
    @DG991: Thanks for your honest reply! Must say I'm not that familiair with the fact Brad is a SC2 fanboy. Still I wanted his reply to me a little more professionally..something like him not being the right person to be critical about SC2..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.