Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Starcraft 2 is killing me. Literally.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I have played about 120 Starcraft matches in the last week

of which I have won just over 50.

That may not seem like a lot but, for me, that is a lot of time to spend with a single game. In the last few days I have spent my time either playing 2v2 with LlamaNL or watching live streams of Starcraft 2 tournaments from Korea and America. Yesterday we played almost 7 hours straight, finishing at about 4am in a mild state of delirium. I can feel myself physically wasting away. I haven't been out shopping for food, I have simply been eating through the stores of junk I had in my cupboard, so for the past 2 days I have eaten nothing but toast and yoghurt. I just ran out of bread, so for my next meal i'm going to have to get creative with some feta cheese and an onion. 

Relevant! 
    Relevant! 

There's no escape. My housemates are both playing Starcraft as well, so even when I manage to tear myself away from the screen it's to enter discussions based on the optimal opener for Terran, or the best way to counter a Proxy Cannon Rush. I can't escape it.

However, on the plus side, we just hit rank 2 in our Bronze league. Seeing as I have only been playing the game for a week, that's not bad, right? 

No Caption Provided

I haven't been addicted to a game for a long time

But Starcraft 2 is a game worth being addicted to. I'm naturally a very competitive person, and there was a point a few months ago where I felt completely worthless. Every game I played I seemed to suck at. I wanted to be good at something, I had all this energy, but I couldn't find any game through which to channel it. The closest I got was Street Fighter 4 but trying to force myself into playing that game when I was clearly terrible almost destroyed it for me. I like Super Street Fighter 4 but I'm slowly coming to understand that Super Street Fighter 4 doesn't like me. So it's nice to find a competitive game like Starcraft 2 where I can actually see results, actually feel like i'm slowly getting better as my understanding increases, and don't have to force myself to keep playing when I get completely fucked by stupid zerglings. It's also awesome that there are so many people I know playing the game. There is nothing more disheartening than offering to play your friends at Company Of Heroes and for them to turn you down because they are all playing Heroes Of Newerth.

True Story.  

I think this is probably down to some smart Matchmaking on Blizzards part, though any credit I send them is done so begrudgingly.

And now for something completely different: 

My university begins anew on thursday which is... holy fuck, that's tomorrow isn't it. I feel slightly guilty for having done predominantly fuck all over the past few months and I know it's going to sting when I return to work. This in turn makes me not want to go back to work. It's a catch 22. I fucking love those. 

My Student Loan arrives on Thursday also and so, coincidentally, does a copy of Dead Rising 2. It's weird that those two things should coincide so conveniently isn't it?!? I look forward to playing through it on Co-Op with my co-op buddies (Oni and Rowr, you guys own this game, right?)

Ok, enough typing! 

Back to work/space I go... 

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I have played about 120 Starcraft matches in the last week

of which I have won just over 50.

That may not seem like a lot but, for me, that is a lot of time to spend with a single game. In the last few days I have spent my time either playing 2v2 with LlamaNL or watching live streams of Starcraft 2 tournaments from Korea and America. Yesterday we played almost 7 hours straight, finishing at about 4am in a mild state of delirium. I can feel myself physically wasting away. I haven't been out shopping for food, I have simply been eating through the stores of junk I had in my cupboard, so for the past 2 days I have eaten nothing but toast and yoghurt. I just ran out of bread, so for my next meal i'm going to have to get creative with some feta cheese and an onion. 

Relevant! 
    Relevant! 

There's no escape. My housemates are both playing Starcraft as well, so even when I manage to tear myself away from the screen it's to enter discussions based on the optimal opener for Terran, or the best way to counter a Proxy Cannon Rush. I can't escape it.

However, on the plus side, we just hit rank 2 in our Bronze league. Seeing as I have only been playing the game for a week, that's not bad, right? 

No Caption Provided

I haven't been addicted to a game for a long time

But Starcraft 2 is a game worth being addicted to. I'm naturally a very competitive person, and there was a point a few months ago where I felt completely worthless. Every game I played I seemed to suck at. I wanted to be good at something, I had all this energy, but I couldn't find any game through which to channel it. The closest I got was Street Fighter 4 but trying to force myself into playing that game when I was clearly terrible almost destroyed it for me. I like Super Street Fighter 4 but I'm slowly coming to understand that Super Street Fighter 4 doesn't like me. So it's nice to find a competitive game like Starcraft 2 where I can actually see results, actually feel like i'm slowly getting better as my understanding increases, and don't have to force myself to keep playing when I get completely fucked by stupid zerglings. It's also awesome that there are so many people I know playing the game. There is nothing more disheartening than offering to play your friends at Company Of Heroes and for them to turn you down because they are all playing Heroes Of Newerth.

True Story.  

I think this is probably down to some smart Matchmaking on Blizzards part, though any credit I send them is done so begrudgingly.

And now for something completely different: 

My university begins anew on thursday which is... holy fuck, that's tomorrow isn't it. I feel slightly guilty for having done predominantly fuck all over the past few months and I know it's going to sting when I return to work. This in turn makes me not want to go back to work. It's a catch 22. I fucking love those. 

My Student Loan arrives on Thursday also and so, coincidentally, does a copy of Dead Rising 2. It's weird that those two things should coincide so conveniently isn't it?!? I look forward to playing through it on Co-Op with my co-op buddies (Oni and Rowr, you guys own this game, right?)

Ok, enough typing! 

Back to work/space I go... 

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Llama

BLARGH WARBLE GARBLE DOUBLE 6 POOL GO TO HELL

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

My biggest problem with SC2 is that I bought an extra account for a real intense account that I share with TL and K-Pop forum users, and only do the custom 1v1 games.  So it's a pain in the ass juggling between two accounts with two different sets of friends and two different types of people who play on them. 

I got the KaosAngel one with a more casual and UMS focus that I haven't touched in weeks, and then the other account that all I do is 1v1 customs.  x.x 

The game is like crack, and I'm always trying to push my limit to the upper extreme.   

I think buying a second account was the worst and best thing I ever did in my gaming life. 

My fingers on my left hand are so red at times, so damn red...

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ZeroCast
    Starcraft 2's competitiveness strikes me because I know I am not the kind of a guy that can inherently understand or comprehend all the macro related stuff players do or even using the 32 keys on your keyboard for crazy ass shortcuts. Maybe if I give it sometime things will change, but seeing the "symptoms" you mentioned makes it more and more unlikely.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fwylo

Ya the DRM SC2 is pretty lame when it's not working.  But I think they have it now where you only have to sign in every 30 days or something in able to play offline.  I haven't gotten through the campaign yet and I haven't even touched the Multiplayer.  It's such an intimidating game I don't know if I ever will.  But I'll probably have another 12 years to decide so I'm not too worired.

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DaemonicGrim

ya cunt, how am I not on your dead rising coop buddies list?

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By DoctorWelch

I would be in the same boat, but that is just something I cant do. I can see how it would be hard not to play if there are others in your house who are constantly playing though. Only one of my friends plays SCII so it's not that hard to stop playing. The thing is, I feel like if I dedicated an excessive amount of time to this game I could become AMAZING, but I would feel too much like a complete bum for doing so. I am the kind of person that believes I can do anything I put my mind to, so you might call me crazy (and I might be) but I feel as if I could get good enough to participate in the GSL if I really wanted to, but I just cant get myself to dedicate all of my free time to playing SCII. Thats the one thing about video games that I dont like. When you play a lot of them, sometimes you feel like you are accomplishing nothing with your time. Idk, maybe that's just me because most of my friends dont play video games the way I do.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @DaemonicGrim: There's not an actual physical list you bellend. 

(There's totally an actual physical list)
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@Sweep: Can't wait to get my PC and SC2. Seems like the only game before New Vegas that could pull me away from Reach.

Also: It's coincide, not co-inside bro. =]
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Jayzilla

Street Fighter 4 was like that for me. Fortunately I beat my addiction before SSFIV arrived. I didn't even touch til it had been out for moths.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell: Shhh, I just woke up ;)
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Djeffers03

Literally, but not really... 

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Oni

This is me, only replace "Starcraft 2" with "Civ 5". So addicting. Put in over 20 hours in 3-4 days.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Disgaeamad

This is me, only replace "Starcraft 2" with "Ys Seven". Except I'm not a fanny and actually did some uni work.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

I've noticed that student loans and video games go hand in hand with you uni cats. Maybe someone should do an investigation. You know, for your protection.

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Juvarial

My GF broke up with me because I was playing starcraft so much on the first week of release. What a bitch lmao

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

It makes me feel good to know that someone else on these forums is in Bronze League stuff.  What race do you main?  Maybe you've stated that somewhere but I didn't catch it.

With that said, I finally got a Silver 2s and Gold 3s the other day with some friends, so I feel like my own game is improving.  Unfortunately, Reach and Civ 5 are going to run all that into the fucking ground. 

@Juvarial said:

" My GF broke up with me because I was playing starcraft so much on the first week of release. What a bitch lmao "
    Fuck her if she don't like it!  Women need to realize that a muthafucker has hobbies that don't involve fucking them!
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @jakob187: Protoss all the way. Terran are boring and Zerg terrify me. I'm committed to laddering up, hoping to get into silver soon :D
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Genjai

Sweep sounds sweepy. I think it's time for rest. But, SC2 sounds awesome! Good luck with that! My PC is the equivalent of 2 years old, so I don't think it'll run it very well. Better luck next time :^(

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Virago

Rowr says "umm...no...the first game infuriates me and i've heard the second's no better"
    I omitted the part where he says he's not much of a zombie guy.

"I could probably rent it" or better idea, I, Virago, can play it with you.  because i'm not lazy. muahahahaha! take that for making me be your messenger!

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Daveyo520
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By audiosnag

I feel your pain. 
    I finally hit Silver after being stuck at the top of bronze forever. The matchmaking system occasionally frustrates me (for example me an my Bronze 3v3 team being thrown against Platinum/Diamond teams 10 GAMES IN A GODDAMN ROW!! :LKJ F:DSLJFOPEI#)J(JJR##)
    But i love the game. I love it so. I think about her all the time. What she's doing, who she's with. If she's thinking about me.
    I can't stand to be away from my little Lings for too long. They need me.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DonPixel
    @Sweep: That happend to me for about a month after release... I woke up one morning with a huge headache uninstalled the game and Im happy with my life again 

All blizzard games have this adicting condition.. Im no longer buying their games  

I play a lot of FPS multiplayer and you can sink hours there to.. but it´s not the same.. I don´t feel so obsessed with it after i turn off the console.. 
    edinxbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By edinxbox
    @Sweep:  LOL 

You played a  120 games and just hit rank 2 in bronze. 

I played 20 games and got into rank 15 in platinum...
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By mike
    @edinxbox@live.nl: Can you even access your own profile? What in the world...
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @edinxbox@live.nl said:
    " @Sweep:  LOL  You played a  120 games and just hit rank 2 in bronze.  I played 20 games and got into rank 15 in platinum... "
    Wow, can I get your autograph? 

(twat)
    edinxbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By edinxbox
    @MB: No i can´t . 

My profile is messed up. 

Because i was banned , and they forgot about my ban, then i talked to them, and after like 6 months they lifted the ban. 

My profile has been fucked up since then. 

I dont know why everybody can see my email lol.
    edinxbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By edinxbox
    @Sweep: Sure, i always give training lessons, 15 bucks 1 hour. I use paypal. 

My apm is pretty high, around 30ish.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rowr
    @Virago said:
    " Rowr says "umm...no...the first game infuriates me and i've heard the second's no better" I omitted the part where he says he's not much of a zombie guy.  "I could probably rent it" or better idea, I, Virago, can play it with you.  because i'm not lazy. muahahahaha! take that for making me be your messenger! "
    o snap.
    battykissinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By battykissinger

Oh God. Feta cheese and an onion. Delicious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.