Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

StarCraft II Beta Extended; Blizzard Talks DRM Solution

• 85 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

No Caption Provided
    You can say a lot about Blizzard Entertainment. One thing you can say with total certainty is that it likes to make its fans happy.

Take for example the most recent bit of news from the Blizzard camp revolving around Starcraft II. The first phase of the RTS' beta has been extended beyond its slated May 31 end date--but only a smidge. The new end date, according to a recent post on the official StarCraft II community blog, is June 7. 

The reason? To "prepare for the final phase of beta testing." This final phase, then, will apparently kick off just "weeks prior" to the game's launch on July 27. Blizzard has promised details about the late beta phase closer to the game's launch.

Granted, that isn't the best example of Blizzard purposefully making its fans happy. Preparation isn't intent, after all. But in both theory and implementation, Blizzard is being realistic with its SCII digital rights management scheme, which in turn, should make more than a few PC users very happy pandas indeed. Players reportedly won't be shackled to their net connections during single-player play. After the game phones home just once after purchase, they won't have to worry about the DRM again. Just set it and forget it, as Ron Popeil would say. 

The idea behind this, according to SCII executive producer Frank Pearce (in a conversation with Videogamer), is that stiff DRM is pointless. The answer to fight piracy is in offering so much to a game's legal and illegal owners that they'll want to buy it. Enter Battle.net's friends and achievement features.

"That's a battle that we have a chance in," he told Videogamer, adding to thoughts on how Battle.net's features might get pirates to purchase the game. "If you start talking about DRM and different technologies to try to manage it, it's really a losing battle for us, because the community is always so much larger, and the number of people out there that want to try to counteract that technology, whether it's because they want to pirate the game or just because it's a curiosity for them, is much larger than our development teams. We need our development teams focused on content and cool features, not anti-piracy technology."

DRM gets people all kinds of sore, and I totally get why. It's intrusive and generally not fun to deal with. But at the end of the day, people steal PC games. These developers gotta do something. I, for one, am happy that Blizzard is thinking outside the box. What about you?
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

No Caption Provided
    You can say a lot about Blizzard Entertainment. One thing you can say with total certainty is that it likes to make its fans happy.

Take for example the most recent bit of news from the Blizzard camp revolving around Starcraft II. The first phase of the RTS' beta has been extended beyond its slated May 31 end date--but only a smidge. The new end date, according to a recent post on the official StarCraft II community blog, is June 7. 

The reason? To "prepare for the final phase of beta testing." This final phase, then, will apparently kick off just "weeks prior" to the game's launch on July 27. Blizzard has promised details about the late beta phase closer to the game's launch.

Granted, that isn't the best example of Blizzard purposefully making its fans happy. Preparation isn't intent, after all. But in both theory and implementation, Blizzard is being realistic with its SCII digital rights management scheme, which in turn, should make more than a few PC users very happy pandas indeed. Players reportedly won't be shackled to their net connections during single-player play. After the game phones home just once after purchase, they won't have to worry about the DRM again. Just set it and forget it, as Ron Popeil would say. 

The idea behind this, according to SCII executive producer Frank Pearce (in a conversation with Videogamer), is that stiff DRM is pointless. The answer to fight piracy is in offering so much to a game's legal and illegal owners that they'll want to buy it. Enter Battle.net's friends and achievement features.

"That's a battle that we have a chance in," he told Videogamer, adding to thoughts on how Battle.net's features might get pirates to purchase the game. "If you start talking about DRM and different technologies to try to manage it, it's really a losing battle for us, because the community is always so much larger, and the number of people out there that want to try to counteract that technology, whether it's because they want to pirate the game or just because it's a curiosity for them, is much larger than our development teams. We need our development teams focused on content and cool features, not anti-piracy technology."

DRM gets people all kinds of sore, and I totally get why. It's intrusive and generally not fun to deal with. But at the end of the day, people steal PC games. These developers gotta do something. I, for one, am happy that Blizzard is thinking outside the box. What about you?
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kishan6

i hate drm 
    so good

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By raiz265
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

As soon as they let me play with people outside the uk - then i'll talk to blizzard bout their stinking Beta. 

All i wanna do is play with my friends from GB - who all live in america and canada - and its so damn region restrictive, i cant even add them as blizzard friends -_-. 

Back to starcraft 1 i guess :/

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shirogane

Now that's now you deal with piracy, not that weird DRM crap other companies are pulling which gets cracked real fast and pisses people off, and stops legal customers from playing the game a lot of the time. 

Although, i gotta say, i will kinda miss playing on one of those private battle.net servers. That was kinda nice, with a smaller community and less people. Maybe there'll still be a way to do that or something similar though.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Cube

Yeah, Blizzard sure likes pleasing their fans by not releasing a SC sequel for 12 years and then splitting it into 3 games. 

Avatar image for ananonymoushobo
    AnAnonymousHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AnAnonymousHobo

A lot of people aren't too happy, mainly due to the fact that Bnet 2.0 is in reality a downgrade to WC3's Bnet. I've yet to see all that many discontent with the game itself, but a lot of people on forums don't seem to pleased with Battle Net 2.0 at all.

Yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yabbicoke

"The answer to fight piracy is in offering so much to a game's legal and illegal owners that they'll want to buy it. Enter Battle.net's friends and achievement features. "

Why can't all companies be like Blizzard?

Avatar image for ananonymoushobo
    AnAnonymousHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AnAnonymousHobo
    @Fragstoff said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:
    " As soon as they let me play with people outside the uk - then i'll talk to blizzard bout their stinking Beta.  All i wanna do is play with my friends from GB - who all live in america and canada - and its so damn region restrictive, i cant even add them as blizzard friends -_-.  Back to starcraft 1 i guess :/ "
    so you and your NA friends can watch the lag popup screens every 2 seconds? "
    A load of shit. Latency is higher, but still perfectly playable for anyone with a internet connection from this millennium. 
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Fragstoff:  Well, to be honest, starcraft BW and Warcraft 3 work flawlessly between me and my NA friends, so i dont think it's that much of an issue. 
    And when every other gaming platform allows for X-continent game play, theres no real excuse oo leave it out - same as the chat rooms 

Me and 2 other duders from this site spent a whole night downloading, patching and setting up the god damn beta in order to play some practice comp stomp and hit the 2v2 and 3v3 ladders. We were majorly excited to go into this and couldnt even get each other as friends, not least play together, inquiry on their forums led to the answer of :- 
    "Play in your own region kthxbai' 

I have no mates into gaming as such round these parts, let alone a geeky ass sc fi rts game - and all my gaming friends online are from other continents - i may be in a minority here but this fucking sucks, and there's no real reason for it other than taking away one reason that people with shitty internet can blame them for rather than sorting it out for themselves.

But hey - at least they got the important stuff, like facebook integration - right? Guys?! Guys/! come back!!!!!
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raiz265
    @AnAnonymousHobo said:
    " @Fragstoff said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:
    " As soon as they let me play with people outside the uk - then i'll talk to blizzard bout their stinking Beta.  All i wanna do is play with my friends from GB - who all live in america and canada - and its so damn region restrictive, i cant even add them as blizzard friends -_-.  Back to starcraft 1 i guess :/ "
    so you and your NA friends can watch the lag popup screens every 2 seconds? "
    A load of shit. Latency is higher, but still perfectly playable for anyone with a internet connection from this millennium.  "
    also  http://www.battleping.com/
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By sjschmidt93

I was hoping I finally finish Read Dead and Mario Galaxy 2 next week because the beta is ending but NOOOOOO.

Thanks Blizzard.

In the end, the game itself is awesome but bnet sucks.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NoXious
    @raiz265:
    TL can suck my balls. Elitist that have sand in their vagina 24 fucking 7.

I am happy they wont make the single-player a constant internet connection demanding thing. I am always connected but it has it's hiccups every now and then and it would suck ass if I'd lost progress or even be hindered. It is a SINGLE-PLAYER experience and I shouldn't have to suffer if my ISP has a mental breakdown.
    And Blizzard has a very down to Earth approach. Offer them something that makes them WANT the product. Because after all, consumers aren't idiots anymore (for the large part) and they can still get away with piracy. There will always be a way for those that aren't content with paying whatever price for a rubbish product.
    essi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By essi2

I buy tons of PC games and the DRM in some of these games is just  ridiculous, Ubisofts newest DRM scheme being the most recent example. Ubisoft have kinda shot themself in the foot on the whole DRM thing seeing as some of the "Piracy" groups are doing it purely for the challenge, basically they're just fueling the fire by making their DRM more intrusive and "harder" to beat. (not to mention the loss of revenue from PC gamers being fed'up by DRM)

I'm glad to hear that Blizzard is taking the high road and not using valuable time and money on self defeating DRM schemes. If they had made some crazy DRM for SCII I might have taken my money elsewhere, despite having been waiting for this game for more then 10 years.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seedofpower

I thought they already said it was going to be DRM? I mean everything is tied into the battle.net even the single player.

dillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dillinger

I don't really care about the people crying on TL, 99% of the time Blizzard knows what their customers want better than we do.  They have their success to use as proof of that.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jeffsekai

Gotta side with TL on this one, chat rooms and cross realm play were just 2 parts of  what made SC so amazing but without them SC2 is going to suffer big time in the long run. I know I won't spend nearly as much time as I did with SC:BW on Sc2 all because of the lack of chat rooms. It was always great to sit in a clan channel talk to friends about what ever and then just set up a game and play a few rounds of something. SC2 just lost something very important. 

Of course 80% of the people on this site are the type to look at SC2 and go "well shit thats a RTS way too complicated for me" and just play the campaign and a little multiplayer until they give up and move on to the next EZ mode game that caters to the casuals. SC2 exists ONLY because of the "pros" that still play the first game (and are now playing the beta like mad men) these changes are alienated the only people who gave a damn about SC all this damn time. Of course having said all this SC2 will still sells bajillions of copies, doesn't make Blizzard right.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ChrisTaran

Friends and achievements almost makes me more likely to pirate the game.  

And who would steal Starcraft 2 when you could just pirate it?  What a silly suggestion.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Kazona

My opinion of Blizzard had gone down after the whole subscription thing for an auction app to use outside of WoW. But after reading this, I'm willing to look past that because they're doing something that could usher in a big change in how DRM is handled. 

And they are absolutely right. The only way to counter piracy, is to basically make people an offer they can't refuse. Let's just hope that this gesture of good faith won't go unnoticed by gamers.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kazona

My opinion of Blizzard had gone down after the whole subscription thing for an auction app to use outside of WoW. But after reading this, I'm willing to look past that because they're doing something that could usher in a big change in how DRM is handled. 

And they are absolutely right. The only way to counter piracy, is to basically make people an offer they can't refuse. Let's just hope that this gesture of good faith won't go unnoticed by gamers.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tanuki
    @OmegaPirate said:
    You woulda just held me back anyway, Gary.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Daveyo520

I was happy when I saw the beta was for longer. Also good job not being Ubisoft Blizzard.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Tanuki: kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke kekekeke
    Lethkhar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lethkhar

I lol'd after the second sentence.

Rudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rudy

In today's world of DRM, I think Blizzard took a fair approach to their solution.  I wouldn't hesitate one bit to purchase any PC game with this DRM approach included. 

It'd be nice if I didn't have to get my picture taken from the ATM machine every time I make a visit or if I didn't have to be recorded when I walk inside a grocery story... but few ruin it all for the rest of us.  Given the realities of the PC environment I dare anyone to argue a valid point against this fair application of DRM.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By meteora

Blizzard is one of the few developers who I have respect for. More developers need to follow this route. 

As for splitting SC2 into three games controversy; why can't people comprehend that the two following games are essentially more or less standalone expansions?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheHT

They... they get it. They actually get it.

Irish87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Irish87

So, so beautiful to see the market at work. Some studios are suffering because of their inability to cope, while others (Blizzard) are thriving because they have adapted. It truly is a lovely, lovely thing, especially when it benefits me in the end.   

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RsistncE

I think I've already said this once today but once more with good feeling: not really interested in games which are stuck, conceptually, in the 90s.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I don't get it.  Blizzard implements always-connected DRM tech for the multiplayer portion of the game, and get's lauded for it?  If this game came out when it was supposed to way back, I don't think any of you would have said it was "fair."  That being said, I don't really have a problem with any of the DRM stuff that has come out recently, I'm just a bit confused as to why the outrage is only directed towards specific companies and others get a pass.
    Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Floppypants

Pirating StarCraft 2 is like pirating Modern Warfare or Little Big Planet.  You're kind of missing the point if you're not taking it online.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By ColinWright
    @ChrisTaran: You are kidding, right?
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#33  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I love the idea of "fire and forget" DRM.  Seems like the best of a bad situation.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Donos
    @Atomic_Tangerine:  The thing is, recent haves have required constant internet connection for singleplayer, when the connection wouldn't otherwise be used. Connection required for multiplayer is fine because it's multiplayer, so you should be connected anyways.
    Lethkhar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lethkhar
    @Atomic_Tangerine said:
    " I don't get it.  Blizzard implements always-connected DRM tech for the multiplayer portion of the game, and get's lauded for it?  If this game came out when it was supposed to way back, I don't think any of you would have said it was "fair."  That being said, I don't really have a problem with any of the DRM stuff that has come out recently, I'm just a bit confused as to why the outrage is only directed towards specific companies and others get a pass. "
    Because ZOMG BLIZZARD LUVS THEIR FANS SOOOO MUCH!!!! 

Duh...
    Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine
    @Donos said:
    " @Atomic_Tangerine:  The thing is, recent haves have required constant internet connection for singleplayer, when the connection wouldn't otherwise be used. Connection required for multiplayer is fine because it's multiplayer, so you should be connected anyways. "

But LAN play is stripped man.  I mean, I get that it will be an issue for very few people, but so was Ubisoft's DRM.  If they weren't told about it, 95% of customers wouldn't have even noticed.
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Levio

This is a very good stance on DRM.  As long as the game truly avoids microtransactions as was earlier claimed, it should set a good example for other game companies.

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zaapp1

I hate pirates, ultimately, more than DRM.  I understand DRM, I don't understand piracy.  I don't know how you stop pirates, but I'm willing to suffer any inconvenience to eliminate it.

Malchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Malchom
    @Meteora: @Meteora said:
    " Blizzard is one of the few developers who I have respect for. More developers need to follow this route.  As for splitting SC2 into three games controversy; why can't people comprehend that the two following games are essentially more or less standalone expansions? "
    Totally agree!

Most of the bashing on SC is either downright uninformed and/or ridiculous. Battlenet is a largely superior successor in a lot of aspects, matchmaking, ladders, profile, history, achievements, cross game communication, map sharing and more. 
    So what if there aren't any chat rooms/channels like 12 years ago... That's because back then, we didn't have Ventrilo, MSN nor a huge amount of forums all over the internet, it was a different time and there is absolutely no need for that on Bnet when clans can easily get organized the way they want it for free on the internet (and if it's too complicated for anyone in your clan then maybe you aren't organized enough to have a clan). 

As for those who complain that the game is split in three for no reason, it has already been cleared up that further SC2 will be more like expansions, they will add new units, the campaigns look deep and engaging, not to mention exhaustive. And I think (correct me if i'm wrong) they will also be cheaper than the first game. 
    l3roken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By l3roken
    @raiz265: Those are some angry fans for sure.
    EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EthanielRain
    @AnAnonymousHobo said:
    " A lot of people aren't too happy, mainly due to the fact that Bnet 2.0 is in reality a downgrade to WC3's Bnet. I've yet to see all that many discontent with the game itself, but a lot of people on forums don't seem to pleased with Battle Net 2.0 at all. "
    Yeah, there's a distinction between SC2 and BNet 2.  I'd much rather have the BNet from 12 years ago...BNet 2 is really awful I think :[
    EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EthanielRain
    @Malchom said:

"Battlenet is a largely superior successor in a lot of aspects, matchmaking, ladders, profile, history, achievements, cross game communication, map sharing and more. 
    "

AFAIK it really hoses competitive players.  For big tournaments, most participants will need to buy 6 separate game copies (counting expansions) and possibly up to 12 (not sure how many regions there are, but seems like US/Euro/2x Asian at least)?  Then the real hardcore, who play in live televised events sitting 10 feet away from each other, but can't play on a LAN...hope Bnet doesn't wig out during their games ^_^ Also poor people with shit/no internet.  Last I read map sharing was awful too, limiting people to a maximum of 5 map uploads of 10MB or less each (no local hosting).

None of that really effects me and I do have faith in Blizzard to get it all worked out eventually, but it just seems like they've traded solid functionality for icing.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'm sure whatever they come up with, there will be a 
    hack for it.  I'm not a die hard fan so I'll probably wait
    for the price drop on this one.  Seems like more of the
    same, only a little different.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mcfart
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " I'm sure whatever they come up with, there will be a  hack for it.  I'm not a die hard fan so I'll probably wait for the price drop on this one.  Seems like more of the same, only a little different. "
    Agreed. Probebly going to wait until all 3 games are $20 in a pack; there's enough games to tide me over till then.
    Dynoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dynoro
    @Mcfart:
    $20 for all three? You'll be waiting till 2012 at the absolute earliest then (if ever)
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tebbit
    @Atomic_Tangerine said:
    " I don't get it.  Blizzard implements always-connected DRM tech for the multiplayer portion of the game, and get's lauded for it?  If this game came out when it was supposed to way back, I don't think any of you would have said it was "fair."  That being said, I don't really have a problem with any of the DRM stuff that has come out recently, I'm just a bit confused as to why the outrage is only directed towards specific companies and others get a pass. "
    Because for Multiplayer, you have be online anyway so it's not intrusive in the slightest. Ubisoft on the other hand implemented the same thing for Single Player, and if you were to lose connection for any reason, it quits out and you lose your progress. That's intrusive to the max.
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gditz
    @Brad Nicholson said:

"But at the end of the day, people steal PC games"

Even if the level of entry for enabling piracy on consoles is a bit higher, there is still a lot of piracy on all platforms. Its about the person using the platform, not the platform itself. 

in short, "People steal games", not just PC games.
    Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Olivaw

@Gditz said:

" @Brad Nicholson said:

"But at the end of the day, people steal PC games"

Even if the level of entry for enabling piracy on consoles is a bit higher, there is still a lot of piracy on all platforms. Its about the person using the platform, not the platform itself.    in short, "People steal games", not just PC games. "
    Modern Warfare 2 on the 360 was pirated almost a million times.

Modern Warfare 2 on the PC was pirated almost five million times.

People do steal games, yes. But more people steal more games on the PC, because it is far easier. This is a fact that cannot be denied. DRM is futile, but a solution must be found if developers wish to make money on the PC.
    Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Slaneesh

I will buy this game no matter what.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By raidingkvatch

This is a rational approach to anti-piracy, you'd really think videogames would be the media best equipped to evolve with the new ways in which we consume media, glad to see not everyone is taking Ubisoft's hard-line approach.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.