Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

"Trivializing Brood War"

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Hashbrowns

Brad has repeatedly stated that Starcraft II's narrative "trivializes" the events in Brood War, and that the opening preamble only covers up to the end of the first game.  I haven't played Starcraft II, so is this indeed true?  It seems that some critical events occur in Brood War, after all Kerrigan seizes total control of the Zerg in Brood War, not the first game.  That seems pretty relevant, right?

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Semition

I think he means that a lot of the characters in Brood War don't come back. Like Duran or the UED characters. Kerrigan is still is the queen of the zerg.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By LegalBagel

I think the main problem is that BW didn't do a lot in terms of changing the story.  In Starcraft 1 you had the rise of Mengsk, and the betrayal of Raynor and Kerrigan, the rise of Kerrigan as the Queen of Blades and the fall of Aiur, and the destruction of the Overmind.  In BW you had a few secondary characters die, and Kerrigan fully gaining control of the Zerg, but that's about it.  Some inter-human and inter-protoss squabbling that doesn't really matter. 

Duran and the UED are the main players in BW, but they play no significant role in the main story of SCII.  The UED in particular just seems like an abandoned sideplot.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By thatfrood
    @Semition said:

" I think he means that a lot of the characters in Brood War don't come back. Like Duran. "

OR DOES HE????

Please note what Narud, lead scientist of the Moebius corp, spells backward.
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Rehehelly

I think it's mainly due to the fact that the installer doesn't show anything that happened in BW, but that's mainly because not much in terms of story really happened in BW as Deathpooky said.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NoXious
    @Hashbrowns:
    Kerrigan's control over the Zerg was set in stone during StarCraft. In Brood War you simply saw it in action...
    In fact, her control was in danger as a new Overmind was spawned due to the joining of many Cerebrates! So Brood War never really was about her GETTING control, but more about keeping it.

You just don't see much about the campaigns that you went through in Brood War. 
    The only real thing you get from Brood War was the special mission, which StarCraft 2 features one too - with almost the exact same pattern as the Brood War one!
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nephrahim

A big part of it is the Terran campaign in Brood war revolved around the UED, not the Terrans, so there's not as much lore. 

There's still some stuff.   Duran, Hybrids, Shakrus, the Hyprion (Which really only appeared in BW)  But it's much more subtle.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By empfeix
    @Rehehelly said:
    " I think it's mainly due to the fact that the installer doesn't show anything that happened in BW, but that's mainly because not much in terms of story really happened in BW as Deathpooky said. "
    I agree with this man.
    Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hashbrowns
    @NoXious said:
    "@Hashbrowns:Kerrigan's control over the Zerg was set in stone during StarCraft. In Brood War you simply saw it in action...In fact, her control was in danger as a new Overmind was spawned due to the joining of many Cerebrates! So Brood War never really was about her GETTING control, but more about keeping it.You just don't see much about the campaigns that you went through in Brood War. The only real thing you get from Brood War was the special mission, which StarCraft 2 features one too - with almost the exact same pattern as the Brood War one! "

I don't know.  Kerrigan retained control over a certain number of Broods after the first Overmind was destroyed, and she was pretty open with that fact when speaking to Raynor and the Protoss.  Asserting direct control over the entire Swarm seemed to happen only after the destruction of the developing second Overmind.  She went from being a very powerful leader of many Zerg to THE leader of ALL Zerg. 

To me it was very important that Brood War established that Kerrigan's villainy was not just mind-control.  Her deception against Raynor and his allies was a true willful act of betrayal, driven by Kerrigan's own emotions and desire for vengeance, whereas before everyone might have assumed she could not help but be compelled by the Overmind.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By JokerClown88

You have to remember that there are still two more games in the SCII story.  We could see Duran make a comeback.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nephrahim
    @JokerClown88 said:
    " You have to remember that there are still two more games in the SCII story.  We could see Duran make a comeback. "
    Again, Duran IS in the game. 

Saying he's not in it is like saying the Emperor isn't in the Phantom Menace.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowshi
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @Semition said:

" I think he means that a lot of the characters in Brood War don't come back. Like Duran. "

OR DOES HE????  Please note what Narud, lead scientist of the Moebius corp, spells backward. "
    GASP
    king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By king0fprussia

Yeah the UED was conspicuously absent, and Duran's involvement in the development of the hybrid was certainly trivialized.   Then again, we don't encounter the hybrid in the Terran portions of the game, only in the Toss mini-campaign.   

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Turambar
    @Semition said:

" I think he means that a lot of the characters in Brood War don't come back. Like Duran or the UED characters. Kerrigan is still is the queen of the zerg. "

Dr. Narud spelled backwards is....  Also considering the secret Piercing the Shroud mission, Wings of Liberty actually does at least a decent job of setting up the continued development of hybrids.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeforgotten
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @Semition said:

OR DOES HE????  Please note what Narud, lead scientist of the Moebius corp, spells backward. "
    That is the understandig I had too. 
    That dude has had like many many names as far as i can remember
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thatfrood
    @ZeForgotten said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    " @Semition said:

That is the understandig I had too. That dude has had like many many names as far as i can remember "
    Well, if all his names are just the letters D.U.R.A.N. scrambled around, then he can only have a total of 120 names.
    Still, that's a lot!
    Can't wait until we meet up with Commander Rdnua or Dr. Nau
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By damswedon
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @Semition said:

proc suibeoM eht fo tsitneics deal, duraN?
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zeforgotten
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @ZeForgotten said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    " @Semition said:

That is the understandig I had too. That dude has had like many many names as far as i can remember "
    Well, if all his names are just the letters D.U.R.A.N. scrambled around, then he can only have a total of 120 names. Still, that's a lot! Can't wait until we meet up with Commander Rdnua or Dr. Nau "
    120? Never thought about that actually. Well fuck Duran then. 
    I would hate to keep track of his names and everytime he changes it I would have to change his information in my contacts list on my phone. 
    But being as lazy as I am when it comes to that stuff I would just quickly make a new contact and he would fill up my phone fast. 
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By DoctorWelch

Brood War was basically a side story. The original SC campaign and SCII campaign is like the main story, thats how I look at it. Brood War was just there to let you know more the fiction of the world I guess. It is still relevant to the main story but doesnt directly impact it. Maybe I am completely wrong though.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Semition
    @Turambar said:

" @Semition said:

" I think he means that a lot of the characters in Brood War don't come back. Like Duran or the UED characters. Kerrigan is still is the queen of the zerg. "

Dr. Narud spelled backwards is....  Also considering the secret Piercing the Shroud mission, Wings of Liberty actually does at least a decent job of setting up the continued development of hybrids. "
    Oh man. I completely missed that.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thatfrood
    @ZeForgotten said:

" @ThatFrood said:

" @ZeForgotten said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    " @Semition said:

Well, if all his names are just the letters D.U.R.A.N. scrambled around, then he can only have a total of 120 names. Still, that's a lot! Can't wait until we meet up with Commander Rdnua or Dr. Nau "
    120? Never thought about that actually. Well fuck Duran then. I would hate to keep track of his names and everytime he changes it I would have to change his information in my contacts list on my phone. But being as lazy as I am when it comes to that stuff I would just quickly make a new contact and he would fill up my phone fast.  "
    I can already see all of the facebook groups he'll keep inviting people to.
    "LOL CHANGED MY NAME AGAIN NEW CELLPHONE ADD ME!!!"
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By BunkerBuster

Brood War's story was very melancholy. At the end the Earth was coming to take back the Koprulu sector at any cost. Meanwhile the Protoss have lost their homeworld and their new leader. Then you have the Zerg and Kerrigan about to commit mass genocide and life was just shitty all around ala WH40k. 
    Then Starcraft 2 comes around and none of that happened. The protoss are still powerhouses with a huge fleet and willing to war at the drop of a hat. The Earth forces never came back to wage full on war. The Zerg, of course, retreated and even four years later still weren't strong enough to even control their own fucking planet. So really, Brood War didn't matter at all.

Murray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Murray

I find it kinda funny that they don't mention the Xel'nagas, and their whole deal in the intro. My friend didn't know anything about the SC-storyline before SC2, so I tried to explain it to him so he would understand SC2 better. But then came the intro, and he looked at me confused and said he began to think I lied about the Xel'nagas ^^' 

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thehexeditor

Also, compare Dr. Narud and Samir Duran's facial hair.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By AndrewB

Wow, I can't believe I didn't piece the whole Duran thing together. Of course, I only just started playing Starcraft again, and it's been so long that I totally didn't remember that character existed until I watched the youtube video of the secret mission in Brood War the other night. 

It's Koveras all over again.

captjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By captjim
    @thehexeditor said:
    " Also, compare Dr. Narud and Samir Duran's facial hair. "
    and their goofy accents.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Jeffsekai

There is no character page for   Dr. Narud on giantbomb. Everyone in this thread fails.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob
    @Deathpooky said:
    The UED in particular just seems like an abandoned sideplot. "  
    On the contrary: the UED story is a resolved subplot.
    viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By viney212
    @BunkerBuster said:
    "The Zerg, of course, retreated and even four years later still weren't strong enough to even control their own fucking planet. So really, Brood War didn't matter at all. "
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @Viney212:  The fact that a handful of Battlecruisers managed to make it to Char and drop its army unto the planet is already broken. Then they had to clear the area to build a city of defenses to hold out until the artifact charged. It just seems that the entire planet should be nothing but zerg and that they should have been overrun in seconds. When you think about it further Kerrigan should have been able to sense them with her psychic abilities and would have known what they were going to do.
    Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Duran DURAN!"

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MiniPato

I just hope Dr. Narud actually is Duran and not Blizzard just making a nod towards BW.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By endaround

Maybe its because the whole story of BW required people to trust Kerrigan for absolutely no reason what so ever.  

Kerrigan"I'm really good!  I can be trusted!" 

Ryanor: "Oh, OK!" 

15 missions later: 

Kerrigan "I'm really an evil Zerg Queen MUHAHAHAHA!  Fooled you all!" 

Raynor: "How could she have fooled me?"

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Spoonman671
    I hope Dr. Narud doesn't turn out to be Duran.  I never liked the Duran character and would just as soon see him ignored entirely than have him reveal that he's been in disguise this whole time, but decided he should make an obvious reference to his true identity via his alias' name. That's super sneaky.

@endaround said:
    " Maybe its because the whole story of BW required people to trust Kerrigan for absolutely no reason what so ever.   Kerrigan"I'm really good!  I can be trusted!"  Ryanor: "Oh, OK!"  15 missions later:  Kerrigan "I'm really an evil Zerg Queen MUHAHAHAHA!  Fooled you all!"  Raynor: "How could she have fooled me?" "
    Yeah, that always bugged me.
    Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Ferginator4k
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @Semition said:

OMG i didnt spot this!
    Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hashbrowns
    @endaround said:
    "Maybe its because the whole story of BW required people to trust Kerrigan for absolutely no reason what so ever.   Kerrigan"I'm really good!  I can be trusted!"  Ryanor: "Oh, OK!"  15 missions later:  Kerrigan "I'm really an evil Zerg Queen MUHAHAHAHA!  Fooled you all!"  Raynor: "How could she have fooled me?" "

Sure, it's pretty obvious as far as common story-arcs go, but from the perspective of the characters, it's understandable.  For Raynor it made sense that he desperately WANTED Kerrigan to be good once freed from the Overmind's will at the end of the first game.  His guilt over not saving her would mask his more objective analysis.  Besides, between the threat of a new Overmind and the UED coming in like gang-busters, everyone had little choice but to go along with Kerrigan's plans at least long enough to defeat their common foes. 

We the audience see it coming of course, but Raynor would seem awful heartless if he immediately decided that Kerrigan was irredeemably evil without knowing for sure.  It was feasible to think that her actions had been controlled by the Overmind and that she was still her old self.  Letting her excercise her own free will and decide to continue on a path of conquest and betrayal gives the story a classic moment of heartbreak and makes Raynor far more sympathetic.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#37  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " I hope Dr. Narud doesn't turn out to be Duran.  I never liked the Duran character and would just as soon see him ignored entirely than have him reveal that he's been in disguise this whole time, but decided he should make an obvious reference to his true identity via his alias' name. That's super sneaky."
    Well Duran is a biiig part of the SC extended fiction, but I almost feel like putting him in as "Narud" was more of a nod to the casual fans that Darun was in fact in the game since without that extra book knowledge, they might not be have been able to connect the dots and figure it out on their own.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 19

#38  Edited By Undeadpool
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @Semition said:

OH SNAP! You just blew my mind!! 

And here I was all disappointed that Duran wasn't back what with that AWESOME cliffhanger at the end of the secret BW ending.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CenturionCajun

As has been pointed out we're only about a third of the way through the Starcraft II story. That means there is something like fifty missions or so left to play. Knowing Blizzard they are going to trot out everyone who has ever appeared in any Starcraft fiction ever. Remember Nova showed up in Wings of Liberty and she was in a game that was never released. So, I wouldn't be shocked to see the UED appear in a big way at some point to muddle things up.

On a side note I probably won't have a computer that can run Starcraft II until after the entire arc has been released so I'm going to go and play the first game again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.