Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

What are the Battle Reports trying to convey to us?

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By jasondaplock
    In a sick, twisted way, the lack of LAN play makes me feel better for only really wanting the singleplayer action out of Starcraft 2.

Every Battle Report sits us down and shows how, with painstaking micromanagement and nearly gimmicky unit composition, you can achieve a victory in Starcraft 2--a sterile, aesthetically bankrupt victory. Where is the hellfire and chaos of war in this game? The most satisfying outcome of any battle involves stunting your opponent's economy. The announcers seem to agree with me, as the drone-to-probe ratio is the only number they really seem to find important in a game about the clash of alien hordes.

I understand that Starcraft is "the game" for the tournament scene of the RTS, but if Dustin Browder will openly espouse that every good Starcraft 2 map is "mirrored on all sides" I have a hard time believing the game will be good for anything but tournament play. The terrain effects seem rather bland, the only new terrain feature catching my eye so far being the smokescreens; the new units they've shown all look useful, not cool or powerful.

If I care at all about strategy gaming, I will probably buy this game: reputable company, solid development time. So if I'm sitting on the fence about whether to throw down cash for a game and its creators' primary marketing strategy is to show me that I am going to get my ass handed to me by numbers and almost exploitive microing tactics (the ability to avoid fire by moving just outside an enemy's "maximum range" is completely unacceptable by today's processing standards), the Battle Reports have seemed like a failure. If Blizzard has no eyecandy to show (and it hasn't really since the first gameplay trailer), it should be dumping these replays onto the web for the tournament scene to peruse and study and comment on. Even as a potential casual player, I'd prefer it that way.

Thoughts?
    Jeremy_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jeremy_x

I think their intentions with the Battle Report was to illustrate how well balanced  and unpredictable a multiplayer game can be between the three races (I mean, I wouldn't believe you if you told me before the match that Kim would win every 3 rounds).
    Also I agree concerning the ridiculously high focus on economy, drone-to-probe ratio and who can click his mouse faster but thats RTS progaming...

Avatar image for risingsunset7890
    risingsunset7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By risingsunset7890

They are catering to the very hardcore, what with all their stat tracking and counting every worker. This week's bombcast brought it up, SC is not about having big epic battles and looking cool. That said, SCII is meant to appeal to the dedicated fans of the original, not so much to draw in new crowds

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By xxNBxx
    @risingsunset7890 said:
    " They are catering to the very hardcore, what with all their stat tracking and counting every worker. This week's bombcast brought it up, SC is not about having big epic battles and looking cool. That said, SCII is meant to appeal to the dedicated fans of the original, not so much to draw in new crowds "
    Yes and no:  Yes these battle reports are catering to the very hardcore.  No, on the bomb cast they said, they like having big epic battles.  They did not say that SC2 isn't  about big epic battles.  A match could very well turn into a big brawl if one side Turtles well enough.  You just don't see that on the Battle reports cause they don't want a 30min video of some guy turtleing for 25 mins then have 5 mins of real action.

About the TC post, you want to see hell and chaos? look at the 7 mins of footage they have up on here with just massive #s of units blowing each other up. 

I have to disagree with you on your point of "The new units they've shown all look useful,not cool or powerful."  Powerful is when your about to get mauled by 10 units and you counter it with 4 cheap units (banelings) and 1 tier 3 unit (Corruptor) for the most part crushing the whole force. The Reapers look pretty dam cool if you ask me, with their duel machine pistols and jump packs.   I think your defanition of Powerful and cool may be a little different then most SC players.  Tell me what units you think is powerful and or cool from SC 1?

From your comments it doesn't even look like you play RTS games.    If you don't then what makes you think that SC 2 is going to change that?  Truth is SC 2 is not going to be a revolotion for the RTS, hell Blizz never really does revolotion, they do Refinemint and thats what SC 2 is going to be, a super refined RTS.

PS: There are tons of modern games where you try to stay just out of range of your enimes weapons, all FPS will have a melee attack that you can stay out of range of.  Would you call that "almost exploitive"?
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jasondaplock
    @xxNBxx said:
    There are tons of modern games where you try to stay just out of range of your enimes weapons, all FPS will have a melee attack that you can stay out of range of.  Would you call that "almost exploitive"?
    Melee combat is, by its nature, a conflict of distances. That is what makes it an interesting component in games that revolve around ranged fighting. Many RTS's have melee fighting too; in that sphere they fill the role of breaking up ranged combatants who can't best them up close and provide a useful layer of depth where positioning is everything. However, ranged combat ought to be more nuanced than that mathematically. Back in the days of the Warcrafts and Westwood C&C's, a Marine firing a machine gun at a handful of hundred rounds per minute was too much for the systems of the day to effectively model for damage and accuracy. Developers did what they could, but had to enforce artificial boundaries and figures to represent attacks; no matter the range, this gun will exactly X damage, a figure only modified by armor or other explicit protections afforded its target. That was yesterday; today, games like Company of Heroes are starting to show remarkable potential in realm of ranged combat mechanics with soldiers that miss as much as they hit and tank rounds influence the terrain as much as enemies. In light of this (I will admit to a personal adoration of CoH by the way), StarCraft 2 feels like a step backward mechanically.

If this criticism of SC2's ranged combat being a "guns hitting for full or nothing" affair is provably inaccurate, I'll retract the comment, but the footage I have seen of the game so far does not contradict it.

I have to disagree with you on your point of "The new units they've shown all look useful,not cool or powerful."  Powerful is when your about to get mauled by 10 units and you counter it with 4 cheap units (banelings) and 1 tier 3 unit (Corruptor) for the most part crushing the whole force. The Reapers look pretty dam cool if you ask me, with their duel machine pistols and jump packs.   I think your defanition of Powerful and cool may be a little different then most SC players.
    The game does look really cool; it is basically moving concept art, something I've been hoping would happen for many years. I misspoke when I called the new stuff uncool, I totally agree with you on the "cool" front, but I still don't think anything in StarCraft 2 seem very "powerful" and I think a lot of that comes from the concentration of fire in the combat. Call me spoiled, but the fire from six Warp Beams does nothing for me after carpet bombing a tank brigade in World in Conflict or watching a Imperial Guardsmen get ripped apart by a Dreadnought in Dawn of War. The units in the SC universe have a very procedural feel to them, like so many bits of machinery doing their jobs one at a time without a fuss; the game lacks the enfilade and explosions many modern-day strategy games have that give combat a sense of urgency beyond brute force tactical analysis (something I am not against so long as it doesn't interfere with the visceral excitement of conflict). In short, our definitions of powerful are indeed very different: your definition (and probably that of most Starcraft players) has far more numbers in it than mine.

About the TC post, you want to see hell and chaos? look at the 7 mins of footage they have up on here with just massive #s of units blowing each other up. 
    I know this last point is one you guys will never concede but I refuse to give up on it. Twenty is not a massive number of troops. It's not. There is a catalog of games now on a scale nearly that of Starcraft with that many units in every battle (C&C series since forever, Dawn of War, Homeworld, World in Conflict, Company of Heroes) let alone the games with hundreds or thousands of troops (Total Annihilation, the Total War series, SupCom). Let this point go. Please.
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By lemon360
    @jasondaplock said:
    "
    In a sick, twisted way, the lack of LAN play makes me feel better for only really wanting the singleplayer action out of Starcraft 2.

Every Battle Report sits us down and shows how, with painstaking micromanagement and nearly gimmicky unit composition, you can achieve a victory in Starcraft 2--a sterile, aesthetically bankrupt victory. Where is the hellfire and chaos of war in this game? The most satisfying outcome of any battle involves stunting your opponent's economy. The announcers seem to agree with me, as the drone-to-probe ratio is the only number they really seem to find important in a game about the clash of alien hordes.

I understand that Starcraft is "the game" for the tournament scene of the RTS, but if Dustin Browder will openly espouse that every good Starcraft 2 map is "mirrored on all sides" I have a hard time believing the game will be good for anything but tournament play. The terrain effects seem rather bland, the only new terrain feature catching my eye so far being the smokescreens; the new units they've shown all look useful, not cool or powerful.

If I care at all about strategy gaming, I will probably buy this game: reputable company, solid development time. So if I'm sitting on the fence about whether to throw down cash for a game and its creators' primary marketing strategy is to show me that I am going to get my ass handed to me by numbers and almost exploitive microing tactics (the ability to avoid fire by moving just outside an enemy's "maximum range" is completely unacceptable by today's processing standards), the Battle Reports have seemed like a failure. If Blizzard has no eyecandy to show (and it hasn't really since the first gameplay trailer), it should be dumping these replays onto the web for the tournament scene to peruse and study and comment on. Even as a potential casual player, I'd prefer it that way.

Thoughts?
    "
    just to get us excited about sc2
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FlipperDesert

They're trying to convey to me how goddamn useless I am at RTS'es in greater detail. :(

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By torus

They are trying to convey the balance of the game.

The players on the BRs are top-level competitors; if SC2 is anything like SC, lower-skilled players' games will be far more chaotic.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jasondaplock
    @torus said:
    " They are trying to convey the balance of the game.

The players on the BRs are top-level competitors; if SC2 is anything like SC, lower-skilled players' games will be far more chaotic.
    "
    I certainly hope so.
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By torus

From my experience with vanilla SC, many lower-skilled players tend to hunker down and sit on large amounts of units and economy, rather than using smaller, strategic strikes. That creates a more unpredictable scenario, because it's very difficult to micro large forces (although this might not be the case any more with the Protoss, who have some nifty movement abilities).

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

They are trying to convey how unlike good RTS games this is...ya know, like Dawn of War II or Company of Heroes...

Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Southgrove

My (fanboyish) fate in Blizzy tells me that they will not only make this an awesome competative game but allso a really great single player experience with all the ginormous glorious battles you could think of.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By xxNBxx
    @jasondaplock said:
    "@xxNBxx said:
    There are tons of modern games where you try to stay just out of range of your enimes weapons, all FPS will have a melee attack that you can stay out of range of.  Would you call that "almost exploitive"?
    Melee combat is, by its nature, a conflict of distances. That is what makes it an interesting component in games that revolve around ranged fighting. Many RTS's have melee fighting too; in that sphere they fill the role of breaking up ranged combatants who can't best them up close and provide a useful layer of depth where positioning is everything. However, ranged combat ought to be more nuanced than that mathematically. Back in the days of the Warcrafts and Westwood C&C's, a Marine firing a machine gun at a handful of hundred rounds per minute was too much for the systems of the day to effectively model for damage and accuracy. Developers did what they could, but had to enforce artificial boundaries and figures to represent attacks; no matter the range, this gun will exactly X damage, a figure only modified by armor or other explicit protections afforded its target. That was yesterday; today, games like Company of Heroes are starting to show remarkable potential in realm of ranged combat mechanics with soldiers that miss as much as they hit and tank rounds influence the terrain as much as enemies. In light of this (I will admit to a personal adoration of CoH by the way), StarCraft 2 feels like a step backward mechanically.

If this criticism of SC2's ranged combat being a "guns hitting for full or nothing" affair is provably inaccurate, I'll retract the comment, but the footage I have seen of the game so far does not contradict it."

I didn't play CoH enough to know for sure, but from what I have read online the gun units have a standardized DPS (damage per seconds) so any misses is just a graphical effect.  So its still a case of "guns hitting for full or nothing" they just make it look otherwise.   Your point about mathematics is defunked by the fact its DPS not each bullet fired is calculated for chance of hit so on and so forth.  I know it is poseable for it to happen, but the computer needed to run such calcutation would be top of the line, not the kind of demographic you want as the Crytech team can tell you. 

Yes they have a cover system in CoH that modafise the damage, but a cover system really wouldn't work with the units in SC. ( I wont go into why right now)   In any game there will be a range of effects, what ever it is.  Fist, swords, guns, or cannons one weapon will have range over the other.  If you play any RTS to the lvl that these guys do in ( In the Battle reports) you would find there will always be units that can out run another giving them range to fire and run some more.  

I will say 2 things about the #s of units on screen.  First thing is we don't even know how many units can be on the screen at the same time without getting slowdown.  And 2nd, in the vid there is more then 40 units on the screen at the same time. Its not the thousands of units you have Total War series, but detail level is not nearly as good in Total War games as it is in SC2.

And in the end again, "Truth is SC 2 is not going to be a revolotion for the RTS, hell Blizz never really does revolotion, they do Refinemint and thats what SC 2 is going to be, a super refined RTS."
    With that said, you might not like SC 2, and Bliz will just have to live with it.  I am sure they only really care about making a game Korea likes anyways...
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I think the Battle Reports are an example of why I don't like SC, don't give a crap about SC II, and the traditional RTS anymore.  The fact that it's so by the book is a complete turn off.

Give me something with a little more depth and with some tactics.  It's why RTS games like Dawn of War II, CoH, Men of War, and Total War are all I play anymore (even if those two relic games are more by the book with their multiplayer portions as xxNBxx points out).

I think the Russians behind Men of War and their previous games Faces of War and Soldiers: Heroes of World War II are way ahead of their time and one day some Western studio with some money will make a similar RTS building off what they've done but with decent production values and it will be a huge hit and will be called "innovative"

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jasondaplock
    I didn't play CoH enough to know for sure, but from what I have read online the gun units have a standardized DPS (damage per seconds) so any misses is just a graphical effect.  So its still a case of "guns hitting for full or nothing" they just make it look otherwise.   Your point about mathematics is defunked by the fact its DPS not each bullet fired is calculated for chance of hit so on and so forth.
    Company of Heroes has tanks that take 6 or 7 seconds to reload, they frequently miss, and even on a hit the round has armor penetration characteristics that determine the damage to the target, if any (sometimes none to front armor). How is it possible for there to be a "standardized DPS" for that? The same thing goes for infantry on a more intensive scale. Anyone who has played COH will tell you that no battle has a reliable outcome unless you have stupidly overwhelming firepower because you are always at the mercy of the accuracy of your troops. 

Damage per second is an irrelevant concept to begin with in this context. Every weapon in every game has a DPS, its just an average. Starcraft's nuke silo has a calculable DPS. I'm arguing that Starcraft's damage model is too simplistic as it appropriates X damage with every shot without fail every time. Company of Heroes, and several lower-profile games in recent memory, do not.

I know it is poseable for it to happen, but the computer needed to run such calcutation would be top of the line, not the kind of demographic you want as the Crytech team can tell you. 
    ...what? On what basis do you find it reasonable to just assume that a machine that churns down a couple BILLION calculations a second in raw computational energy can't generate a handful of numbers for every unit in a squad warfare game? Crytek's difficulty isn't even CPU-related--it's a GPU hurdle. Please don't just say things like this; there are poor souls out there that don't know any better who will believe you when you say things like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.