Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Why do people keep telling me StarCraft has no tactics?

Avatar image for creativecolossi
    CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CreativeColossi

Why is Luke Plunkett telling me in his StarCraft 2 singleplayer impressions that StarCraft has no tactics? 

He says that StarCraft is still about throwing waves of dudes at each other and watching them die. Am I the only one appalled by this? StarCraft is really a game where you get out what you put in. Luke in his impressions admits they couldn't make Company of StarCraft, on account of the competitive community's fanaticism for the game (which I experienced firsthand in South Korea); this doesn't excuse that his statement is completely wrong though. You can choose to be very tactical in StarCraft, usually it's about positioning and flanking, the very things that Luke states in his impressions are nonexistent. You can choose to make 70 zealots and attack order them until they die, or you can make 10, micro those well, get the enemy in a group and storm them; there is a ton of tactical variety.  

Do you think the reason people like Luke go about making claims like a game "having no tactics" is because the game doesn't make it a distinct game play feature? There are a thousand different ways to fight a battle in StarCraft 2 depending on positioning, your management of your troops, the timing of different elements of your attack, but because the game doesn't tell you this in some grand tutorial (but it tries with the challenge missions), are people misconstruing this game? 

TL;DR, Luke Plunkett and Kotaku suck. =D

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By manhattan_project
    @CreativeColossi: He probably just sucks at the game.

P.S. I too hate Kotaku and anyone involved with them.
    andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By andrela

Single player rts campaigns can mostly be completed by building a huge army and just zerging everything on the map.

Notice he's talking about the single player not the multiplayer. So apparently you don't need super high end tactics to beat AI in games now, wow this is some creative journalism

Avatar image for great__defunct__northern
    Great__defunct__Northern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think Luke is confusing tactics with strategy, but I understand his point. Sounds like the game is purely tactical (i.e. move guys here, have them die, rinse, repeat) as opposed to a strategic approach to the battle that isn't "more guys = teh win"

CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CreativeColossi
    @Andrela: Even then most StarCraft 2 missions have a great sense of urgency to them, and can actually be accomplished with really unorthodox tactics. It's like he's trying to play the game quickly so he can talk about it to everyone or something!  You might not need high end tactics against the AI, but using tactics above building a thousand marines and hitting "A" on your keyboard makes things a lot easier.
    CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CreativeColossi
    @greatnorthern: But that's not how the game plays if you just put in a modicum of effort into what you're doing. He's complaining that his strategy doesn't involve tactics, but he's the one who decided to throw tactics out the window. 

The Korean inside me is saying: 씨발...
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By meteora

He got confused with strategy and tactics. In SP it doesn't require a whole lot of strategy other than spamming units at the other base and steamrolling them. However that's not going to cut it in MP unless you're playing something like 4v4 online.

rolento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rolento

I suppose everything is relative.  Compared to, say, Supreme Commander (one, not two) StarCraft has basically very little in the way of complex strategy or tactics.  It does, however, have an overabundance of micro management and a very zoomed in camera to make it feel more 'tense.'

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By shivermetimbers
    @CreativeColossi:  I think the point he's trying to make is that it is possible to do it that way, but it's not the most efficient.
    CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CreativeColossi
    @Meteora: He references Company of Heroes, so he at least knows what tactics are, I think the issue is that he's complaining that they aren't there when they are, you just have to play tactically. You don't need a cover system to have tactics, chess says hello. 

@shivermetimbers: That's like complaining that you can only eat a pie by sticking your face into the thing, even though you have perfectly good hands and utensils at your disposal. One is method is cleaner and ostensibly better, but requires more effort.
    confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By confideration

So - websites make money from page impressions. Kotaku, for years, has been all about controversial headlines and articles making money for them. 

In the words of a great Admiral - "It's a trap!"

CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CreativeColossi
    @jabbertrack said:
    " So - websites make money from page impressions. Kotaku, for years, has been all about controversial headlines and articles making money for them.  In the words of a great Admiral - "It's a trap!" "
    Maybe I just wish Kotaku drank the kool-aid they sold, instead of doing what you just described.

Headline: "RESIDENT EVIL 5 IS RACIST?!"

Article: "Nah just joshin with y'all. Post your comments!"

Comments: "I <3 Japan and Kojima-san!"
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By jimi

???
     ???
    CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CreativeColossi
    @Jimi:  Yo brah, you should read the article in the OP nam' sayin. Though that is cute. :D
    itchyeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By itchyeyes

After reading the article, I think you may be misinterpreting him a bit.  For one, he clearly states that he's talking only about the single player.  And to an extent I have to agree with him.  To the degree that Starcraft 2 has tactics, it's almost entirely in the multi-player.  Tactics in Starcraft are all about counters, and the single player AI just isn't very good at countering your units.  If you're taking the path of least resistance through the game (as it seems he is), then you just end up spamming a bunch of high tech level units to steam role the AI.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By KaosAngel

Not gonna lie, for story I've just been macro-ing like hell and just fly by.   

I honestly dunno why I even go back to the story, just doesn't do it all that much for me.  x.x 

EDIT:  I also feel the re-made units will just hurt more for people who want to go into online after the story, I have no idea why Blizzard would do this as most newcomers playing online after story will be way more confused that they should be.

CreativeColossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CreativeColossi
    @itchyeyes: You can handle the single player tactically though, most players just choose not to. My beef is he acts like you can only build a hundred marines and attack command instead of acknowledging that (especially on harder difficulty levels)  you can and should use smaller scale tactics to make it easier. 

@KaosAngel: I love that they're there, but I sure as hell am going to miss a lot of those units when I finally get to working on my multiplayer game.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By sixghost

That statement only applies to SC2 when you don't know what you are doing, and just a-move wave after wave into the opponent's base. The tactics in SC2 aren't plainly displayed as formations and such. It's all of forcing your opponent to fight in chokes, sneaking a few harassment units into his base after his army moves out, getting away with being a greedy build order, etc.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RsistncE

He's wrong about there being no tactics...it's just that the tactics are stupid. It's what? 1000 years into the future? Yet your units essentially run at one another, stand still and shoot at one another. You can micro them, so apparently the best thing they have in the future (because they don't have cover) is running back and forth and in circles to avoid damage. It's just silly I suppose.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By sjschmidt93

Well, SP on normal doesn't require much.

Multiplayer and Brutal SP do though.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Andrela said:
    " Single player rts campaigns can mostly be completed by building a huge army and just zerging everything on the map.  Notice he's talking about the single player not the multiplayer. So apparently you don't need super high end tactics to beat AI in games now, wow this is some creative journalism "
    Rofl I have to agree with this but I do agree to a point that once you find out a strategy or tactic that suits your play style, then it's basically playing the same game in every match.
    bananablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bananablade

I haven't read the article but it is retardedly easy to beat the singleplayer missions on brutal just by macroing up a massive medic marine ball and steamrolling everything in front of you

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @CreativeColossi:  

....because this is not Advanced Squad Leader or Steel Panthers.  I have the ASL manual...Starcraft ain't ASL.  Trust me.
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By leburgan

Because it kinda doesn't, while some units like sentrys and high templar(i play protss) have a abilities, its just hey try and get your mob to kill the right stuff. Play some Dawn of War II with setup weapons, assault squads, cover, knockdown, abilities, and knowing when to retreat, when to take points, power harass, and such. Actual unit control means more in that game

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DeF
    @jabbertrack said:

" So - websites make money from page impressions. Kotaku, for years, has been all about controversial headlines and articles making money for them.  In the words of a great Admiral - "It's a trap!" "

or as Captain TIghtpants in the Big Damn Movie simply put it: "TRAP!"

edit: forgot to say something on topic^^ ... so:

from skimming through the impressions, it seems that the guy is playing on "normal". cause normal is pretty easy and doesn't require anythign but spamming units. If he had played on hard, which is described in the menu as for "people who played a lot of strategy games", he would have found out that he needs to apply different stratgies than just maxing out the unit cap and attacking blindly. You need hit squads to do "drive bys" in a certain mission, split your troups up in two teams to get at the enemy attacking a vehicle you need to protect from two sides, etc.

The bonus objectives and achievements are what call out to the player "hey, try using your head instead of only your index finger!"
    threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By threeve

I have not played Starcraft II at all, but I was always an enthusiast for Blizzard RTS games.  In the past I have beat Starcraft, Brood War, and Warcraft III all on the highest difficulty levels, but when Frozen Throne came out I hit a stone wall - the first campaign (Night Elf) on the highest difficulty was ridiculous hard and I never beat it.  I can't believe that they would go backwards for Starcraft II.  I expect that on the highest difficulties the AI will trash you if you just send waves of enemies against theirs. 

Similarly in WCIII skirmishes the best way to beat the Insane AI was to attack early.  If you creeped and let them get a huge army they would beat you every time with their larger army.  Anyway, like I say I haven't played it so I'm just guessing that we're dealing with a newb's opinion.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AuthenticM

It doesn't have tactics, it has strategy.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Metroid545

Probably because he uses none?

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VisariLoyalist

idk cause they fail at it so they say it sucks

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By TwoLines

I dunno, I'm playing on hard, and the convoy mission was really tough!
    I had to replay it 4 times, each time doing things a lil' bit different.

Building X bunkers with 2 marines and a firebat in X places did the job.
    Had to make 4-5 medics surrounding the convoy at all time too.

SCVs on the road, and I had to make barracks closer to the goal.

It required tactics/strategy, and it was really satysfying.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

I was expecting an easy game but yeah, singleplayer SC2 is mindblowingly rudimentary on normal. And the higher levels just mean you have to do the same things faster. Hard feels about normal, and Brutal doesn't feel "smarter" so what's the point. It just makes the same simple fights take longer. Like someone else said, after you've upgraded your medics tier 1 can just steamroll that shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.