More balance changes for StarCraft II already? Didn’t Blizzard just introduce a host of balance adjustments to the Terran, Zerg, and Protoss races in Patch 1.1? Doesn’t Blizzard need to be getting ready for the launch of their second game release in a single year?
If nothing else, the deployment of Starcraft II's next patch--complete with meaningful gameplay adjustments--should serve as a reminder of just how seriously Blizzard is taking the game’s multiplayer. They’re going to keep updating and changes and tuning the game, and each new patch full of changes only means a new opportunity to adjust the game balance further. A lifetime of balance adjustments and unit changes are before us! Infinite Patches!
Speaking of all-consuming forces from which there are no escape, Patch 1.1.2--which is currently live on the Starcraft II servers--mostly focuses on providing balance upgrades for the Zerg [EDITOR'S NOTE: Seamless!]. As Brad posted earlier this month, Blizzard is well aware that Zerg players have some significant disadvantages going up against Terran forces (which might explain why they’re the least played race in SCII. The other explanation is that they’re gross). To help defend against Terran scum (damn you, MMM!), Blizzard is increasing the health on a number of Zerg structures, while simultaneously slowing down the rate in which Terran players can churn out units. Oh, and there are some Protoss nerfs thrown in for good measure.
== TEASER ==Yes, there are a few addition bug fixes and general changes, but for the most part, Patch1.1.2 is all about balance changes. And here are those changes:
- Hatchery life increased from 1250 to 1500.
- Lair life increased from 1800 to 2000.
- Spawning Pool life increased from 750 to 1000.
- Spire life increased from 600 to 850.
- Ultralisk Cavern life increased from 600 to 850.
- Corruptor energy bar removed.
- Corruptor ability Corruption is now cooldown-based on a 45-second cooldown. Ability starts with cooldown expired (must wait for full 45-second cycle before usable).
- Infestor Fungal Growth now prevents Blink.
- Roach range increased from 3 to 4.
- Nexus life and shields increased from 750/750 to 1000/1000.
- Void Ray damage level 1 increased from 5 to 6 (+4 armored).
- Void Ray damage level 2 decreased from 10 (+15 armored) to 8 (+8 armored).
- Void Ray Flux Vanes speed upgrade bonus decreased from 1.125 to 0.703.
- Barracks requirement changed from Command Center to Supply Depot.
- Supply Depot life increased from 350 to 400.
- Medivac Acceleration reduced from 2.315 to 2.25.
- Medivac Speed reduced from 2.75 to 2.5.
- Reaper Nitro Packs speed upgrade now has a Factory Requirement.
- Thor energy bar removed.
- Thor ability 250mm Strike Cannons is now cooldown-based on a 50-second cooldown. Ability starts with cooldown available (useable immediately after upgrade is researched).
The aim of these new adjustments seems clear; Blizzard wants the Zerg to be more formidable and more levels of play. What do you think about these changes, Zerg players? Do these changes and adjustments put you on closer footing to dealing with the wily tricks other two races? And Protoss and Terran players, feel free to chime in and complain about the nerfs for your personal race of choice. I know I will.
Stupid Fungal Growth screwing up my Stalkers. Stupid weakened Void Rays. At least the Nexus is tougher. I guess that’s okay.