Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Your reaction after getting demoted/promoted

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By amir90

Well I just got this message after beating some dude (not korean 4gate btw)

No Caption Provided
    So I immediately jumped from my chair and started dancing. I think it was a mix of doggy and jump style, which I do not know how to do in the first place.

I got demoted last week, and answered with ragequit and started eating some chips.
    selfdestructiv behavior 101
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By wchigo
    Grats!

Uhh... for me I was just kind of surprised. I got placed in Gold in retail, then after about 20 or so games it bumped me up to Diamond, completely bypassing Platinum. The other guys on the podcast were getting on my case about still being in Gold as I don't ladder much so I decided to do some and well... that happened.

Now I just have to ladder enough this season to make my way into Masters. I'd imagine that I'd end up with a grin on my face and probably do a little fist-pump or something when/if that happens.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tunaburn

i know the mrr and all that shit is what makes you get promoted and demoted. but it still feels completely random. im in silver but the last at least 20 games have been "even matches" and almost all of them are gold league. so why am i still silver? also ive had a guy in silver league ranked way under me (im rank 5) and he was favored. so i dont get it.

edit: yes i win at least half the time vs the gold leaguers.
    and i got very happy when i got promoted to silver. never been demoted yet.
    how could i be really?

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By amir90
    @wchigo:  Congrats buddy, I hope to get to Gold one day, and in the end Diamond ^^
    @tunaburn: If you are on a losing streak and start facing bronze and loses a couple of times to them, then yes you will be demoted ^^
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wchigo
    @tunaburn said:
    " i know the mrr and all that shit is what makes you get promoted and demoted. but it still feels completely random. im in silver but the last at least 20 games have been "even matches" and almost all of them are gold league. so why am i still silver? also ive had a guy in silver league ranked way under me (im rank 5) and he was favored. so i dont get it. edit: yes i win at least half the time vs the gold leaguers.and i got very happy when i got promoted to silver. never been demoted yet.how could i be really? "
    Well here's the thing about rankings: they don't mean much when you're compared out of your division. You may be rank 5 in your division with, say, 1200 points and an MMR of 1500. You could possibly face a guy who's rank 20th in his division, but has 2000 points and an MMR of 2100. He's in a far more active league with more competition so it would make sense that he's the "better" player in the eyes of the system and thus he would be the favored player. Now I'm arbitrarily making up figures and such as I don't have all the info, but that is a distinct possibility of what happened and why it happened.

As far facing the Gold league players and not getting promoted, it depends on how many games you've played as well. The more games you play at 50% win/loss, the more the system feels like it has correctly placed you. If you've played (again, making up numbers) 1000 games and you're sitting around a 50% win rate in Silver, the game will feel like it's placed you more accurately than a guy who's played like 30 games and won like 20 of them in Gold league. So if you have a lot of games under your belt, it's going to take a considerable rise in your win/lose ratio before the system feels like it should promote you.

It's EXTREMELY convoluted, but trust that the system works. Like I said above I had like a 60% win ratio in Gold against Plat/Diamond players in and around 30 games played, so the system did not feel like I was where I belonged and bumped me up. Of course, the crappy part of that is I was then a 500 point Diamond player facing off against ~2600 point Diamond players and *I* was always the favored/slightly favored player. /facepalm So happy the reset fixed that so I'm once again facing players who are slightly favored over myself.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

No one's posted the promotions pic from 4chan yet?

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pigmartyr

Well i just recently got demoted. I was winning maybe 50/50 at the start of season 2. I was pretty pissed about it but then again if im not good enough to be in a league and get stomped all day then its no fun for me. Problem is that now that I'm back in bronze im winning almost every game. There are a few one offs, but its just almost like its not fair. I strongly feel that im playing silver since again like most of you in silver im playing gold and plats and the w/l ratio stays 50/50. Last season i was well over 60% w/l and it took me MONTHS (November to March)  to get out of the bronze league.

My run up to demotion was 13 wins and 20 losses. 7 of those 20 were consecutive. So outside of a slump i was pretty even. I'm not going to complain about it being arbitrary or unfair, but when i have 300 wins and 240 losses and it wont promote me and a 50/50 w/l record and it demotes me it sure doesnt feel like its placed me correctly. Moreso now that I am really stomping some people hard in the bronze league it makes wins more trivial. I appreciated that I was getting a run for my money in the higher leagues and feel  I wont get better as I play the other league players.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ben_H

Getting promoted to Platinum felt really good.  I had been playing much better than normal the previous few weeks and went from playing silvers and golds to platinums.  When I got promoted to platinum it was my first ladder win against a diamond (I'd won against my diamond protoss practice partner many times, hence why I have a strong PvP).  When I watched the the replay things didn't feel as good.  The zerg I had played was BAD.  As in <40 workers 20 minutes in and fewer bases than a protoss (which should never occur).

Though that has summed up the vast majority of my games against low diamonds so far.  One trick ponies who die as soon as their gimmicky build fails because they have about gold-league level macro and I'm getting the sneaking suspicion many of them got into diamond all-ining or cheesing instead of solid play.  A lot of zergs seem to do burrowed roach stuff or two month old roach-hydra builds that die to the standard colossus ball, which is hilarious, but not as funny as the people who still 7 roach rush.  And the diamond level randoms are the cheesiest bastards I've ever played.  The stereotypical alternating-caps names, trolling while getting ready to cheese stereotype Bronze randoms I used to play is in full force here, but only with a lot more refinement.  It's quite sad.  The low diamond Terrans I've played 3rax all-in every.single.game.  Seriously, some of them pull all their SCVs and go towards my base BitByBit even though they already know I have sentries.  I'm serious when I say that most high platinum Terrans are better than low diamonds who've probably been there since August of last year and maintain their spots 3raxing and hoping it works.  And most diamond and platinum protosses I've played I can't comment on because either they die to my 4gate or I die to their 4gate.

In summary, getting promoted to platinum felt great but getting into diamond just feels dirty most of the time.  Hopefully I'll start playing macro players again so I can improve and win because I outplayed someone instead of them killing themselves doing insane all-ins.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By imsh_pl
    @tunaburn said:
    " i know the mrr and all that shit is what makes you get promoted and demoted. but it still feels completely random. im in silver but the last at least 20 games have been "even matches" and almost all of them are gold league. so why am i still silver? also ive had a guy in silver league ranked way under me (im rank 5) and he was favored. so i dont get it. edit: yes i win at least half the time vs the gold leaguers.and i got very happy when i got promoted to silver. never been demoted yet.how could i be really? "
    Dude, you played twenty matches. Maybe win like 60 against higher league players and then start worrying about not getting promoted.

On topic: I got promoted to plat at the end of february, and I must say it felt pretty good. Unfortunately I didn't play that much lately but I'm working on it :)

To all the people who worry about not getting promoted for a long time: stop. The only answer to the question "How can I get promoted?" will always be "Win more games". So my advice would be to abandon the worries and just play more.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tunaburn
    @imsh_pl:  ive played more than 20 games. im saying my last 20 in a row have been purely against gold and platinum players.
    and its stupid.
    i should never be favored against a gold league when im only in silver. and yet it happens non stop to me.
    how does that make sense
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By WickedCestus

When I got demoted I got mad, and then got sad, and then created a thread about it. Then I realized it was actually better for me in the long run.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By raiz265

I feel like I kinda lost a goal to play for now that I reached Masters... That's what happened when I hit Diamond last year, I didn't play for several months back then. Got like 10 played since the reset :(

Need motivationz!
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By amir90

Thanks for sharing your stories :)

Roasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Roasted
    @raiz265:
    You can set yourself a goal to get better since the GM league is coming soon, and there's only 1 guy right now on GB that will be promoted to it.
    Another goal could be to try winning one of the small tournaments in the teamliquid.net tournament tracker. There are some high level players participating, but probably not pros.
    Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Hardgamer
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " No one's posted the promotions pic from 4chan yet? "
    Nope.
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arkanti

FUCKING, FINALLY.

I've been in Silver since I got the game in September last year, and only just got promoted to Gold this morning. The thing is really the only time I was losing was when I was going up against people leagues above me. Every match against a silver player was ridiculously easy.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Raineko

Haha, I played against a dude and after some minutes he had to quit and I got a pissload of points and got promoted to silver lmao

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tunaburn
    @Arkanti said:
    " FUCKING, FINALLY.I've been in Silver since I got the game in September last year, and only just got promoted to Gold this morning. The thing is really the only time I was losing was when I was going up against people leagues above me. Every match against a silver player was ridiculously easy. "
    thats the same boat im in. and i win most the games against the gold league i play. i lose to the platinum guys though. but why am i silver when i win every game against silver and win half my games against gold? just weird system that doesnt seem to be very accurate.
    PopUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PopUp

Got promoted to Diamond, felt great. Celebrated by feeling great.
    Yeah.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakkblades

It's always one big "?"

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

YAY 

I got promoted to plat today, back where I was last season. Next stop, diamond, hopefully:P.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Ben_H

I've kinda stopped caring.  I'm in platinum but I play only diamonds, so I guess I am at that level?  Meh, 3/4 of my games the last 2 weeks have been PvP 4gates.

On my goof-around account I play two leagues above where I am and consistently win but it still hasn't moved me up.  I do marine/tank in all matchups and it has been so good so far.   Or I go random and see what happens.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By jorbear

When I got to Silver, I said only one thing:

"If I don't get to Gold, Harris is going to keep on harassing me."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.