Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 01, 1998

StarCraft has been called the greatest real-time strategy game ever and it's certainly one of the most critically acclaimed. StarCraft features three powerful, yet balanced races: the Terrans, the Zerg, and the Protoss. You play as each race fights to the death for the fate of the universe.

Can I Play Starcraft in Windows 7

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By holycrapitsadam

Okay so after watching the live stream last night of Starcraft 2, I have decided that I want to buy Starcraft 1 but I am concerned that it might not work on Windows 7. Just want to make sure before I go buy the battlechest

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nukesniper

It works fine on Vista. And sometimes it complains about compatibility there. The best way to increase your chances of it working is to use your CD-Key to get it added onto your battle.net account, then download the diskless, online client. It works pretty well that way. 

It really should work fine on 7. I hardly doubt that it wouldn't work.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Seedofpower

I bet is no, but you can email the blizzard tech guys and they would answer you.

Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Arzen

Every single thing I've tried on Windows 7 has run better than when I had XP or Vista.  I have no reason to believe this would be different.  If anyone could confirm, that would be great.  Otherwise, I'll be able to tell you in about 35 minutes (downloading the client from battle.net right now).

EDIT:@HolyCrapItsAdam: Starcraft is the first thing I've run that goes to shit on Win7.  It starts, but I get massive graphical glitches periodically, making things unplayable.  Could be my video card (Radeon 3870X2), but I dunno.  Was looking forward to playing it again, too.  Tried troubleshooting via Blizzard Support with no success.  Contacting them is my next step.

holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By holycrapitsadam
    @Arzen: Alright thanks for the heads up. I did some research and it seems that everyone that tries to play on win 7 experiences graphical issues. Oh well
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Gotta love win 7 haters... Yes it works fine anything that works on XP works on 7. I am currently playing it on Win 7 64 bit no problems.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood
    @Arzen said:
    "  Every single thing I've tried on Windows 7 has run better than when I had XP or Vista.  I have no reason to believe this would be different.  If anyone could confirm, that would be great.  Otherwise, I'll be able to tell you in about 35 minutes (downloading the client from battle.net right now).

EDIT:@HolyCrapItsAdam: Starcraft is the first thing I've run that goes to shit on Win7.  It starts, but I get massive graphical glitches periodically, making things unplayable.  Could be my video card (Radeon 3870X2), but I dunno.  Was looking forward to playing it again, too.  Tried troubleshooting via Blizzard Support with no success.  Contacting them is my next step. "
    even when you troubleshoot the compatibility?
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mmmslash

I can download and install it now, if you want.

Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Edit: Mind you, I am on a Win7 x64, netbook, so if anyone is going to have graphical issues or something, I imagine it will be me.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Carlos

Menu graphics are messed up for me but once ingame it's fine and that's what matters. (Win7 x64 with 8800gtx / 4gb ram)

holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By holycrapitsadam

Huh, well I might have to go out and buy it to try for myself. It's only 20 bucks so I can deal with that. Thanks for the input everybody

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By JokerClown88

Windows 7 has a lovely little feature called Compatability mode.  This allows it to emulate Windows XP.  What that means is that you can select programs that require Windows XP to run to open in XP mode thus making them run perfectly.
    Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arzen
    @Jeffsekai: There was no Win7 hate at all.  Everything I've tried has run better with Windows 7.  Really don't know where you saw Win7 "haters".

@ThatFrood:@JokerClown88: Compatibility mode did *nothing* for me.  I ran it in every mode possible.  I ran it in 256 color mode, 640x480 res, every combination of options possible.  I still ran into the same problem (graphical corruption and everything going tie-dye on me).

@Carlos: My in-game goes through the same stuff as the menus.
    Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diagnostic

Runs fine in xp compatibility  mod.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By FCKSNAP

I have 64bit Win7 and it runs fine except for the Blizzard logo, which looks like it came back from woodstock with its psychedelic colors.

Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arzen

I guess I'm just unlucky.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By AndrewB

Works fine for me in Windows 7 64bit. No need for any compatibility settings, whatsoever. If I were you, I'd go straight to Battle.net, make an account, register your key, and download the client off there. It's an updated install with the latest version of the game.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By jmrwacko
    @HolyCrapItsAdam said:

" Okay so after watching the live stream last night of Starcraft 2, I have decided that I want to buy Starcraft 1 but I am concerned that it might not work on Windows 7. Just want to make sure before I go buy the battlechest "

It works. Just make sure to launch the game with a txt file, renamed to a .bat file with the following code inside: 

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Starcraft\Starcraft.exe"
    Start explorer.exe

Else, your color pallet will be negative, and the game will look like crap.

Also note that Starcraft only displays in 640x480 resolution, so it looks terrrrrible
    TMCD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TMCD

all right i have signed up here just 4 this reply, actually I found this site looking 4 an answer to the same problem, i'll give u what worked 4 me, u have to go on compability mode and check all 5 boxes(Run in 256 color, Run in 640×480 screen resolution, Disable visual themes, Disable desktop composition, Disable display scaling on high DPI settings), also check run as administrador, and chose windows xp SP3 in compatibility mode, now 4 a really stupid thing,   right click on Desktop and select Screen Resolution (in Windows 7) orPersonalize (in Windows Vista). Leave the window opens  , go play! 
    To me that made it, i got all that from here: 
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/12/04/workaround-to-play-starcraft-age-of-empires-and-diablo-in-windows-7-or-vista-fix-color-display-issues/     
    hope it works 4 u, if it does let me now...
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Jadeskye
    @TMCD said:
    "
    all right i have signed up here just 4 this reply, actually I found this site looking 4 an answer to the same problem, i'll give u what worked 4 me, u have to go on compability mode and check all 5 boxes(Run in 256 color, Run in 640×480 screen resolution, Disable visual themes, Disable desktop composition, Disable display scaling on high DPI settings), also check run as administrador, and chose windows xp SP3 in compatibility mode, now 4 a really stupid thing,   right click on Desktop and select Screen Resolution (in Windows 7) orPersonalize (in Windows Vista). Leave the window opens  , go play! 
    To me that made it, i got all that from here: 
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/12/04/workaround-to-play-starcraft-age-of-empires-and-diablo-in-windows-7-or-vista-fix-color-display-issues/     hope it works 4 u, if it does let me now... "
    This. Theres almost always a way around it. Windows 7 is awesome. The only trouble i've ever had with compatibility has been because i run 64bit Win7.
    Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Yit

It's gimpy as hell, but it works. I had to make a batch file, kill windows explorer(!), launch the Starcraft exe, and when it closes, relaunch windows explorer.

Give it some google-fu, good luck.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By demontium
    @HolyCrapItsAdam: if it doesnt, 7 can run in compatibility mode. so yes, no matter what it can.
    Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wasara88

I bought a new copy that has brood war in for 7$ and it runs perfectly and might i add...it still kicks ass. I don't have a huge nostalgia factor for it,but it's genueinly a good game. Sometimes units make stupid paths though.

bigall94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By bigall94

After some fiddling, I got the disk version o work on Windows 7 32 bit. To get rid of the funky colors, I had to check everything in compatibility settins except compatibility mode, and, for some reason, it requires you to have the screen resolution settings open while you play. I'm downloading the online client now and it hopefully works better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.