Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Starfield

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Aug 31, 2023

Starfield is a sci-fi role-playing game created by Bethesda Game Studios, the creators of The Elder Scrolls and recent Fallout games. This is the first new franchise from the studio in 25 years.

Starfield Gets A Release Date (September 6th, 2023)

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By ALLTheDinos

Bethesda gave a proof of life statement release date for Starfield this morning via a short trailer and an equal amount of Todd talking at the camera:

Additionally, Bethesda is hosting a Starfield Direct on June 11th, 2023. I don't have much to say on the content of the trailer, but it seems like they needed a fair amount of extra time to make the game (hopefully) be in a complete state. At this point, I have to wonder if Forza Motorsport is getting pushed to 2024, if this one got delayed 10 months.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

This is earlier than I expected. Either way, gonna play it on Game Pass.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This looks pretty good!

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I'll believe it when the game is out and people are playing it.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

I was prepared to come into this thread and call you a liar. Instead, I'm calling Todd Howard a liar. I'm not going to believe Starfield exists until I'm playing it, and even then I'll have doubts.

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't you think it was mean to the Europeans to have it shown as June 9th for a minute?

With this much of delay, you can't help but think just how in bad of shape Starfield must've been at the original launch date.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ok it turns out I do have a thought on the content of the trailer. Is it just me, or does it look like they’re leaning on the hoary old “progenitor race” cliche? It’s not a dealbreaker for me or anything, but I’m really sick of this trope in sci-fi games. I don’t need a reason to explore space and do a bunch of Bethesda Games shit on different planets; you had me at “explore space and do a bunch of Bethesda Games shit on different planets”.

Also to echo others: I refuse to believe this game exists in a playable state until it does.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mellotronrules
    @allthedinos said:

...Is it just me, or does it look like they’re leaning on the hoary old “progenitor race” cliche? It’s not a dealbreaker for me or anything, but I’m really sick of this trope in sci-fi games. .

agreed- and i'll go a step further. space archeology- or specifically uncovering remnants of a MYSTERIOUS ADVANCED CULTURE- doesn't do anything for me anymore. in fact it kinda activates my snooze receptors.

the last game to do something like that but actually work on me was The Outer Wilds- but it also isn't exactly 1-to-1. Yes there was a bit of space archeology- but it was a means to solve a more pressing problem.

granted- there might be an interesting twist here- but as a trailer that's ostensibly intended to sizzle me...i'm kinda left thinking, 'yeah ok, todd. we'll see.'

HolyUmbrella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do y’all think we’ll get a demo/early access in June? With a lot of games that end up on gamepass existing in an early access state beforehand it could be possible?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I’ll never play this game unless I stumble into an Xbox, but I do agree that it seems odd how difficult it is to bring intergalactic travel into the picture without dragging an ancient race along. It’s a crutch by degrees across most adventures - Nathan Drake is really just digging up Prothean ruins, same as Shepherd or Luke Skywalker - but you’d think somebody might imagine a universe in which some other race hadn’t already provided all the answers. Ain’t we got no gods anymore?

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By AV_Gamer

I personally, don't have a problem with the "all wise ancient Alien race in outer space" trope, when there is a twist to it. Like how in the Mass Effect trilogy, the main thing was how wise, holy, and all knowing the Protheans were, only to find out in Mass Effect 3 that they were arrogant, intergalactic conquerors, whom believed their species were superior to everyone else in the universe, then they ran into the Reapers and got destroyed.

Or like the film, Prometheus, and how the space crew were looking for an Alien species they believed created humanity in their image and they got their wish. Only to find out that the Alien's hated their creation and set out to destroy it be creating the Xenomorpths from the Alien franchise to destroy them, only for it to backfire and destroy them instead.

Hell, even the Netflix reboot of She'Ra had this trope, when it was revealed that the First Ones who created the sword that turns the carrier into She'Ra were ruthless space conquerors who used She'Ra's power as a key to an even more powerful weapon that can destroy planets. I like it when the so-called wise Alien species turns out to be just as flawed and capable of doing evil deeds like everyone else. Nothing is new under the sun.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
    spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Setting aside the fact I don't think this game is going to meet any expectations, I would love to know how much time has been wasted on the dumb procedural junk that is likely going to plague this game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm just excited to build my own spaceship and cruise around the galaxy, seeing what I can find, getting into combat, and eventually building a settlement of my own somewhere.

And I'm hopeful I can do that without too many bugs.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Broshmosh

I will be stunned if this comes out this year.

I will be even more stunned if the game is remotely payable at launch.

Lately I've come to realise that I don't personally want more Bethesda RPGs. In the years since Fallout 4 came out I've discovered the inherent joy and richness of a finely-crafted RPG experience that delivers an open world, but also doesn't crap out when it comes to telling something substantial within it.

I'm only tangentially interested in TES6 purely from an academic standpoint because of how much I enjoy TES lore, yet I somehow doubt TES6 will emulate the best era of TES.

More power to those looking forward to this coming out, you've got more patience than I do for jank, and I enjoy Geneforge.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be stunned if this comes out this year.

I will be even more stunned if the game is remotely payable at launch.

I have a strong feeling that the perpetual delays are due to MS not allowing the game to release before it's in a pretty good shape. Bethesda would've shipped it on the original date last fall and just fixed it later as always. They didn't delay any of their last three titles that released in rough shapes, so why would they suddenly delay a game an entire year ? MS however just won't accept broken games on release after the whole Halo debacle.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MS pretty much said the same after the MCC, I'm there day one but I really don't see a scenario where Starfield releases as polished as a Sony/Nintendo title.

Bethesda are using procedural generation across a thousand planets were gonna see some crazy stuff there's simply not enough man hours to bug test on that scale.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@av_gamer: That new She-Ra was awesome!

Between that and Bluey I havent given up all hope for my children having worthwhile cartoon memories growing up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.