Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stealth

Concept »

Using stealth often requires the player to accomplish their objective without being detected by enemies. Methods of detection can vary from game to game, and can be based on an enemy's line of sight, how quiet the player is, or even how the player interacts with the environment.

Any games ever have enemy AI notice missing guards?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I finally got Thief (the newest one) to work properly on my PC, and I am really digging it. One thing I really like is how the enemy AI notices stuff like opened containers that were not previously open, such as locked chests or safes, making closing everything behind you important to mask your activities. Got me thinking if there are any games that also has AI that notices missing guards. I'm not talking about them coming upon a knocked out buddy or noticing you knock someone out, but that they realise during their patrol route that there are no longer any ally guards where there should be some.
    Anyone know of any games that even tried incorporating such a mechanic? I imagine that it would be a programmer's nightmare.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Metal Gear Solid, kind of? I know that's a factor in these games somehow.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can swear there was at least one game that had guards that would say something to the effect of "I thought there was more of us..."

It could've been the Batman Arkham series, I know those comment on it.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Guards in 2 (and maybe onward) would comment if a soldier didn't check in via radio for awhile.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somedelicook: It seems like the Batman games sort of did that, the guys would come across bodies and react to that, but it seemed like every once and a while if you did a take down that would 'hide' the bodies (which wasn't many, actually maybe it was just the one where you string them up to the statues) at some point they would remark to how there used to be more of them or the Joker would call in and warn them.
    So it half counts, almost, maybe a quarter.

Fatcat222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Dishonored the guards would comment about an area that is supposed to be patrolled, and then take on the missing enemy's route.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guards in Chaos Theory sometimes notice

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, in Metal Gear they'll call on the radio, and if no one answers they'll send in back up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As mentioned above: Metal Gear Solid 2 had guards that would periodically report in via radio. If they failed to call on time a search group would be sent in to find them.

And In the Arkham games (At least in Asylum and City, can't vouch for Origins) if you knock out any patrolling guard in the stealth sections of the game the Joker / the villain of the moment, will chime in on the loud speakers and alert everyone starting a search for the missing guy and Batman. This is not exactly the same thing. More of a caution mode so to speak rather than the ai dynamically reacting to missing allies.

Did Far Cry 3 have a system like this? I could have sworn the guards had little random conversations with each other from time to time and would react to missing guys with "Where'd that guy go?" and start looking for they're allies.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arkham Asylum/City make the AI function differently depending on how many guards are left in the room.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@csl316 said:

Well, in Metal Gear they'll call on the radio, and if no one answers they'll send in back up.

It's been a long time since I've played any of those games, but I seem to remember that if the back up team found the downed guard, all they'd do is wake him up and go back to their business, rather than, you known, wondering why their buddy was unconscious in the first place, or asking about the gigantic tranq needle that would have been sticking out of his neck.

Honestly, it's probably for the best. If enemies reacted realistically to this kind of stuff, you'd pretty much be forced to ghost the whole game, which has the potential to get real frustrating, real quick.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Dishonored the guards would comment about an area that is supposed to be patrolled, and then take on the missing enemy's route.

Yeah, that's right, I totally remember that. Or commenting on how a power source suddenly went out. You'd think that on a higher difficulty setting they'd program the guards to check it out, but I don't think they did.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

@csl316 said:

It's been a long time since I've played any of those games, but I seem to remember that if the back up team found the downed guard, all they'd do is wake him up and go back to their business, rather than, you known, wondering why their buddy was unconscious in the first place, or asking about the gigantic tranq needle that would have been sticking out of his neck.

Honestly, it's probably for the best. If enemies reacted realistically to this kind of stuff, you'd pretty much be forced to ghost the whole game, which has the potential to get real frustrating, real quick.

That is definitely true, frustration would set in pretty quick. But I think that these things could also open up opportunities for better difficulty settings, that affect the game beyond just enemy health/damage.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

the dumber the better, because if they are too smart then it's like playing with Bots who see through walls and auto aim

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.