Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam Trading Cards

Concept »

Steam Trading Cards is a built in feature in the Steam client. It lets users collect cards from certain games and trade them and receive rewards for complete sets.

What is going on here...?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

No Caption Provided

So, I'm confused by what's going happening on December 24 (also December 11 to a lesser degree). This is something I've seen happen quite a few times. Is there something I'm missing - Is there a particular reason that someone would purchase a card for several dollars when the average price is roughly 10 cents?

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

That's nothing, I saw one where a trading card was sold for more than a hundred dollars over value, which almost looks like money laundering at that point.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Drugs, son.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

ah hah! This is my time to shine! Well see, in trading community, people often times put up items to sell as a way to purchase something. It appears a guy bought a game for 4.44. Odd he didnt buy tf2 keys, but whatevers. Either that or I heard it's an easy way to give a friend some cash. (but steam takes some percentage anyways)

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need to figure out how to get someone to buy my cards for that much. :P

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Chemtrails

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad said:

ah hah! This is my time to shine! Well see, in trading community, people often times put up items to sell as a way to purchase something. It appears a guy bought a game for 4.44. Odd he didnt buy tf2 keys, but whatevers. Either that or I heard it's an easy way to give a friend some cash. (but steam takes some percentage anyways)

Yeah, I was thinking that, but the fact that Valve take a cut and the fact that there's an actual trading interface still make that seem weird.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

I like to think it's just some fools first time using the thing and starts hitting random buttons without knowing what they are really doing.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam doesn't let you gift wallet funds directly, hence anomalies such as this likely occurring between real world acquaintances.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By csl316

But aren't Steam trading cards just meant to be dumb?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad: ahh. So this is how you might trade a game for steam credit. You have them buy one of your useless things at a high price on the marketplace and then send them the game. Interesting.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thatdudeguy

@truthtellah: If Valve has a staff economist, then surely they saw that coming. I wonder if monitoring these anomalies is them dipping their toe in the used games market?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: If Valve has a staff economist, then surely they saw that coming. I wonder if monitoring these anomalies is them dipping their toe in the used games market?

hmm. Well, you can't sell used games, but people can definitely trade stuff they bought but haven't tied to their account. I imagine they may keep these kind of of outliers in mind though.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatdudeguy said:

hmm. Well, you can't sell used games, but people can definitely trade stuff they bought but haven't tied to their account. I imagine they may keep these kind of of outliers in mind though.

My thought is that this experiment might provide information about the supply-side pricing of unwanted games (i.e. how much less than the current retail price will sellers accept in order to bother with the process.) The demand for a used digital copy is probably more estimable, since it would always be higher than the demand for a retail digital copy. That may factor into discussions with publishers to allow selling used copies of a game.

Also, I have no real clue what I'm talking about. Just a random thought :)

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

yep, its drugs, weapons, and money laundering. valve cant stop it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@thatdudeguy said:

My thought is that this experiment might provide information about the supply-side pricing of unwanted games (i.e. how much less than the current retail price will sellers accept in order to bother with the process.) The demand for a used digital copy is probably more estimable, since it would always be higher than the demand for a retail digital copy. That may factor into discussions with publishers to allow selling used copies of a game.

Also, I have no real clue what I'm talking about. Just a random thought :)

Ah. Well, the marketplace in general is definitely providing a lot of data towards eventually allowing for some kind of reselling of Steam games if they wanted to pursue that. Does seem like the future.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By bigjeffrey

I just made 0.12. It's Drugs

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.