Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Any good "recent" indie titles on Steam?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

Now that Portal 2 is out of the way for the moment (except for the duel robit part) I'm thinking about dipping into a few of those small indie games I've seen on the Steam lately. Since there's nothing of the AAA title variety coming out that I want right this instant... or in the next few months... at the full retail price, I've decided to spend my hard-earned (prostitution) money elsewhere.

So you guys have any recommendations? Just to help, here are a few games I'm looking at.

• SpaceChem: A puzzle game that's about chemicals... making chemicals. Looks like it's got some promise.
    • The Tiny Bang Story: It's a point and click adventure. I get this Machinarium vibe when watching the trailer. Which reminds me, play more Machinarium.
    • Cloning Clyde: Yes, THAT Cloning Clyde. From 5 years ago.
    • NightSky: I've been following this one for a while, back when it was called Night Game and a WiiWare game. Still looks pretty cool.
    • Cities in Motion: Wait, what? A transportation simulator? How did that get in here?

Am I missing anything in the hidden gem category? Should I just finish what I have and save my money? And finish Machinarium? Recettear? Puzzle Agent? Bob Came in Pieces? Blueberry Garden? Lucidity? Yes, the backlog has been upgraded from "quite large" to "immense" thanks for asking.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai

Now that Portal 2 is out of the way for the moment (except for the duel robit part) I'm thinking about dipping into a few of those small indie games I've seen on the Steam lately. Since there's nothing of the AAA title variety coming out that I want right this instant... or in the next few months... at the full retail price, I've decided to spend my hard-earned (prostitution) money elsewhere.

So you guys have any recommendations? Just to help, here are a few games I'm looking at.

• SpaceChem: A puzzle game that's about chemicals... making chemicals. Looks like it's got some promise.
    • The Tiny Bang Story: It's a point and click adventure. I get this Machinarium vibe when watching the trailer. Which reminds me, play more Machinarium.
    • Cloning Clyde: Yes, THAT Cloning Clyde. From 5 years ago.
    • NightSky: I've been following this one for a while, back when it was called Night Game and a WiiWare game. Still looks pretty cool.
    • Cities in Motion: Wait, what? A transportation simulator? How did that get in here?

Am I missing anything in the hidden gem category? Should I just finish what I have and save my money? And finish Machinarium? Recettear? Puzzle Agent? Bob Came in Pieces? Blueberry Garden? Lucidity? Yes, the backlog has been upgraded from "quite large" to "immense" thanks for asking.
    Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Skullo

There's also Fate of the World and Nimbus, I heard those were good. or you could wait until June for Torchlight 2.

But that's just my opinion.

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By evildeadron

im currently playing "Your Doodles are Bugged" for a review, its a pretty neat little game, it a cross between lemmings and world of goo..you have to get x amount of bugs to the jar of honey per level, but you control a marker with your mouse as if your making doodles. you need to make ladders, ramps, obstacles etc to get the bugs where they need to go and its physics based

check it out if that interest you, its actually a pretty challenging puzzle game

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Dalai said:
    "Should I just finish what I have and save my money? And finish Machinarium? Recettear? Puzzle Agent? Bob Came in Pieces? Blueberry Garden? Lucidity? Yes, the backlog has been upgraded from "quite large" to "immense" thanks for asking. "
    That's quite a selection right there. Why not finish those?
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd recommend Gish. As to why I'd recommend that, read my own blog, once I post it. That's called "incentivizing." Maybe. Firefox doesn't like that word.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Sanctum is pretty awesome if you like Tower Defense

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By sweep

Gish is pretty good, as VGK mentioned. I had a lot of fun with Rush, as well, when I was playing it for the Portal 2 potatoes.

Atom zombie smasher is good fun as well, I only played the trial but it's made by the same cats who did Flotilla so a great sense of humour is guaranteed.
    TomP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TomP

You should finish Machinarium and move on from there. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dalai
    @Skullo said:
    " There's also Fate of the World and Nimbus, I heard those were good. or you could wait until June for Torchlight 2.But that's just my opinion. "
    Almost forgot about Nimbus. That looked really good. I did buy Torchlight on a Steam sale bender, but I learned that Torchlight is not my type of game.

@LordAndrew said:
    " @Dalai said:
    "Should I just finish what I have and save my money? And finish Machinarium? Recettear? Puzzle Agent? Bob Came in Pieces? Blueberry Garden? Lucidity? Yes, the backlog has been upgraded from "quite large" to "immense" thanks for asking. "
    That's quite a selection right there. Why not finish those? "
    I really should finish Machinarium and Recettear. The rest of those can wait or stay in the pile. Actually I wasn't impressed with Blueberry Garden or Lucidity, but they are on my unfinished list.

@Video_Game_King said:
    " I'd recommend Gish. As to why I'd recommend that, read my own blog, once I post it. That's called "incentivizing." Maybe. Firefox doesn't like that word. "
    I'll wait for the blog since I know next to nothing about Gish. The extent of my Gish knowledge is that he's an unlockable character in Super Meat Boy.

I think I'll probably be going with Nimbus and Gish because those will be the last games I'll buy until the fall... maybe.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Dalai:

The Gish you know in Super Meat Boy is a false Gish. That Gish does not stretch and squish and stuff.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @SomeDeliCook said:
    " Sanctum is pretty awesome if you like Tower Defense "
    I've been playing it a bit as well, and I agree that it's pretty good if you're into tower defense.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Dalai said:
    " I'll wait for the blog "
    Don't encourage him.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By KaosAngel

if you want to play indie games, just wait for the crazy indie sales that Steam will likely put up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.