Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Are all Steamworks games redeamable on Steam?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

Basically what the topic asks... is there any Steamworks retail game that isnt redeamable on Steam? I ask because a few games im interested in are starting to get crazy cheap in UK (dungeon siege 3 for 8 pounds for example) and since the fucking steam retail key page doesnt really update that often, I was wondering if there was ever a case where a steamworks retail game wasnt able to be activated on Steam. Neither DS3 or Red Faction Armageddon are on the official steam list of retail keys, but I know for a fact that both are Steamworks.

So, am i safe in assuming as long as a game is steamworks its redeamable on Steam, even if it doesnt show up in the list?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Rhaknar said:

Basically what the topic asks... is there any Steamworks retail game that isnt redeamable on Steam? I ask because a few games im interested in are starting to get crazy cheap in UK (dungeon siege 3 for 8 pounds for example) and since the fucking steam retail key page doesnt really update that often, I was wondering if there was ever a case where a steamworks retail game wasnt able to be activated on Steam. Neither DS3 or Red Faction Armageddon are on the official steam list of retail keys, but I know for a fact that both are Steamworks.

So, am i safe in assuming as long as a game is steamworks its redeamable on Steam, even if it doesnt show up in the list?

If it's not on that list, I wouldn't take the chance and think it'll be redeemable on Steam. Borderlands, for example, is a Steamworks game if you buy it on Steam. If you buy the retail version, you won't be able to register it on Steam and get Achievements and all that. I *think* any copy of Dungeon Siege 3 needs Steam to run, but I would ask on Steam's forums to be on the safe side.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar
    @JoeyRavn said:

@Rhaknar said:

If it's not on that list, I wouldn't take the chance and think it'll be redeemable on Steam. Borderlands, for example, is a Steamworks game if you buy it on Steam. If you buy the retail version, you won't be able to register it on Steam and get Achievements and all that. I *think* any copy of Dungeon Siege 3 needs Steam to run, but I would ask on Steam's forums to be on the safe side.

had a peak on the steam forums, seems some people say that both DS3 and RF:A retail are able to be activated on steam... still, wish they updated that list more often tho. Good point on Borderlands tho... goddamn it >_<
    Avatar image for deactivated-61a53e24478a6
    deactivated-61a53e24478a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Vextroid

Pretty much if it has the Steamworks Logo on the box and/or a block of text that starts off with 'NOTICE: Product offered subject to your acceptance of the Steam Subscriber Agreement ("SSA")...'

KurianOfBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By KurianOfBorg

No there are some Steamworks (with Steam achievements etc) games which have non-Steam retail versions such as Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Usually Steam will be in the minimum requirements box if it can be redeemed on steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.