Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Ars Technica's Steam Gauge project

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hassun

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/steam-gauge-measuring-the-most-popular-steam-games-of-2014/

Ars Technica has updated it's "Steam Gauge" project. They are trying to figure out which games do well on Steam because Valve does not publicly provide figures like that.

I'm not entirely sure how accurate these results are. I had never even heard of Unturned for example, (Maybe a YouTuber bait game? Popular in other regions?) Some other numbers seem crazy as well.

Either way it's interesting to see what does well on Steam and just how well compared to other titles.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

I can't see Dota 2 on their list anywhere, seems like a pretty big oversight seeing how it has the biggest number of players today by a huge factor http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Unturned: minecraft clone with zombies as far as i can tell? Never heard of it before. Person who made it is probably richer than i ever, ever will be.

Gonna go cry somewhere.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw this earlier and was amazed that Skyrim may have sold over 3 million copies in 2014 on steam. I think the owners category they use includes free weekends so keep that in mind. I may be wrong though.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vessel28 said:

I saw this earlier and was amazed that Skyrim may have sold over 3 million copies in 2014 on steam. I think the owners category they use includes free weekends so keep that in mind. I may be wrong though.

That would make this information a lot less interesting if that's true. From the website Sniper V2 is in the best selling games of 2014 but it was given away on Steam for one day. I played through it recently & it was actually a pretty decent game, I could see people convincing their friends to buy it to play co op but if the sales listed include the free copies then you can't really see any impact of giving away a game which is disappointing.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

@hassun: Unturned is a DayZ-like with a minecraft look made by some teenager. I've never played but its popular and the guy sells it for like 5 bucks (Theres actually a free version if you don't want some of the extra stuff.) Seems neat.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kidavenger: They mention it in the article, they do not have data on DotA2 or TF2.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hone_mcbone: It would also explain NBA 2K15. Hard to believe that game would sell almost 4 million copies on PC alone, and it also had a free weekend.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video games are Doomded . I blame minecraft and pewdiepie ! "puts on he's tinfoil hat "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.