Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Community Service - Nominate your best buys from the Steam Sale!

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By byrjun

A lot of us have probably spent a buck or two on the sales. As it's coming to an end these next days, I figured we could recommend each other our favourites, in the event that it could get overlooked in the piles.

Maybe it could even be fun to do a "Best of Show" type thing. An awards programme for which games are the best of the sale.

Pick the three games that you're most happy with having bought, and maybe recommend it with a line of text. Maybe a tentative "Best of" - prize title?

For me, what has been my absolute biggest gem, is Frozen Synapse. I've barely scratched the surface, but the overall polish, look, feel and mechanic plays something truly special in my mind.

Europa Universalis III is also a very big thing for me. Earlier in the year I met Hearts of Iron II, ran away in fear and have thus far kept my distance. Not that HOI2 seems like a bad game at all, just really really complex and convulted, where EU3 seems more compelling and inviting - and just flashes flourish.

Third, I'm having so much fun with Magicka. I have only just come out of the tutorial, and I keep experiencing one hilarious death after the other, from trying to play around with the spells!

As I said, it shouldn't have to be the most wellcontemplated reasons, just the games you're most happy with right out of the bat. Enjoy!

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

I bought Trine for nothing. That game is amazing!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

Aquaria for 5 bucks, which was one of my favorite games in years. 

Just dollars to quality wise, Darkstlakers for a another 5 is amazing

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By phrosnite

Previous sales...
    Darksiders for 7.5 euro - Freaking amazing game. Bought it during the christmas sales and I've finished it 3 times already.
    Red Faction: Guerrilla for 5 euro - Blowing shit up at its finest.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

The entire catalogue of Doom games for £5.

The Secret of Monkey Island for £3.75

Torchlight for however much I paid.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Rhaknar said:
    Aquaria for 5 bucks, which was one of my favorite games in years.
    I really liked Spelunky and I wanted to like Aquaria too. Ultimately, though, it just got to the point where I was floating around aimlessly, then being attacked by heaps of enemies, dying, then having to redo huge parts again since the save points were pretty far apart. So, basically, I ended up ragequitting and never playing it again D:

You seem to really like it though, does it get a lot less frustrating as you go on? Is it worth enduring the gameplay for the sake of story? Should I try giving it another go?
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Adamsons

Just Cause 2 for £3.xx. Installed the HD Clouds and Superman mods and I'm having a blast just bombing around the world. 

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By rentfn

Beat Hazard Complete for $3.24 now it's $6 still worth it. The Penny Arcade Adventures are a blast and only $2

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Atom Zombie Smasher, it's the only one I've played so far and it's amazing.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By sfighter21

Bought Star Wars Battlefront II.  Yeah, that game still kicks the same amount of @$$ it did when it was released.  Never got to play it online at the time on PS2, so this is like a brand new experience for me!  Love it!

Cupids_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Cupids_Hitman

Back to the Future for like seven bucks. Frick yes!

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donchipotle

I got Left 4 Dead 2 for five bucks and I consider that a good deal

powerpc127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By powerpc127

Swords & Soldiers HD. I know how the GB office feels about wiiware, but when that game was released on wiiware first, it completely validated the existence of the platform. It's just so much fun. Starcraft players might get upset at the lack of stuff in it, but if you think Starcraft is too complicated, Swords & Soldiers is great. It's also the first time I've purchased a downloadable game on more than one system.

Other than that, all the usual stuff. I picked up Puzzle Agent after watching a bit of PA2's quicklook and that's been really fun.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By s7evn

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Atom Zombie Smasher, it's the only one I've played so far and it's amazing.

I agree.

Finalwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Finalwish

Well so far i've bought only Garry's Mod and GTA 4 complete. 

but GTA 4 Complete (GTA4+Liberty City) for $10 is quite an amazing deal.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By YoungFrey

I've bought a bunch of good games, but most of them were cheap to start with. Even if they were free, I'd only be saving $10 maybe.   Normally I shun the Packs too.  Sure they might be at a %99 discount, but most of the time it's games I have no interest in.  Sure Doom was amazing, but I don't want to play it so telling me it's inclusion in the pack saves me $5 is maningless.    But the THQ Hit Pack was a solid deal for me.  Just counting what I wanted. 
    Metro 2033 
    Darksiders 
    Red Faction: Guerilla  
    All 3 Dawn of War II 
    And it's $50.  Considering that I found it looking for the Dawn of War II pack, and that is only $5 less, it was an easy decision for me.  I guess for people who keep up with games better it might be less of a steal, btut it is a low dross package.
    zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zagzagovich

Garrysmod was the best thing so far. Mostly because it actually worked but it's great to see that it is still supported. Bought Monday Night Combat but it seems to crash in multiplayer no matter what I do. Also got Audiosurf but mostly because I've been waiting for it to go down in price, don't think I'll play it much.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Torchlight is amazing, I can't remember how much I paid but it is definitely worth it.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dillonwerner
    @YoungFrey said:

I've bought a bunch of good games, but most of them were cheap to start with. Even if they were free, I'd only be saving $10 maybe.   Normally I shun the Packs too.  Sure they might be at a %99 discount, but most of the time it's games I have no interest in.  Sure Doom was amazing, but I don't want to play it so telling me it's inclusion in the pack saves me $5 is maningless.    But the THQ Hit Pack was a solid deal for me.  Just counting what I wanted. Metro 2033 Darksiders Red Faction: Guerilla  All 3 Dawn of War II And it's $50.  Considering that I found it looking for the Dawn of War II pack, and that is only $5 less, it was an easy decision for me.  I guess for people who keep up with games better it might be less of a steal, btut it is a low dross package.
    I just looked at that pack, and it seems totally worth the $50

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.