Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Family sharing, DLC and physical copies of games

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I am trying out the family sharing program which allows another user to acces my steam library. It works great, but he came with a problem: a friend of his lent him a physical copy of a game (Mafia II) which came with all the DLC. He says when installed the DLC is not active for some reason. I was not there when he tried it. I buy all my games digitally so I am not sure how this works - does the game come with a code which essentially means only one user can access that copy? So lending a steam-enabled physical copies of a game is not possible? If that is the case his friend (the owner of the DVD) presumably used the code to tie it to his account?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Physical copies of games that use SteamWorks are essentially just Steam codes in a box. One can't use the code and then give the box to someone else and expect for that person to be able to use it, too.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That's not how physical copies of Steam games work, sadly. One code, one owner.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.