Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

How BIG is the TF2 Download?

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

Okay, good news. Team Fortress 2 is (further) on sale for $5 on steam today! 

So I downloaded it, obviously. It seemed to fly to like 30%, but now it's taking like a percent like every 2 or 3 minutes. I understand its only going 852 KB/s, but I don't think I've ever had it take this long. So, is this download just huge, or is my computer fried?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ben_H

Check the downloads page.  It'll tell you.  It will tell you how many megabytes have been downloaded out of the total.  It think it's like 8 gigs or something.  It's almost doubled in size since it came out.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By endless_void

TF2 is quite a large game, loads of content. Keep in mind, there are 12 classes~!!!

Most of those GBs though are from the endless patches that have come out for the game. I know this is kind of off-topic, but does anyone know what they are testing in the new tf2 beta?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By valrog
    @endless_void: What 12 classes?

I think they're changing some maps (Granary, I think), weapons (As far as I can tell, there are 3 versions of Natascha) and.... Hm, not sure what else.

Edit: There -  http://tf2.com/post.php?id=4721&p=1
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @endless_void said:
    " TF2 is quite a large game, loads of content. Keep in mind, there are 12 classes~!!!  Most of those GBs though are from the endless patches that have come out for the game. I know this is kind of off-topic, but does anyone know what they are testing in the new tf2 beta? "
    Sniper,Demoman, Heavy,Scout,Medic.Pyro,Soilder,Spy,engineer 

Carry the 1....divide by.....that comes to...9 dude...
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Th3_James

I have 10gb of TF2. So IDK, but on the other hand that's nothing compared to the 16.5GB download for GTA:IV

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

Steam is probably discovering new updates during the download and adding them to the total.  At least I think that's why sometimes when you download something it will tell you 5GB, but then a few minutes later it'll be at 7 or 8GB.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Gav47

My local files are 10230 MB in size, but the download may be smaller 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By meteora
    @Th3_James said:
    " I have 10gb of TF2. So IDK, but on the other hand that's nothing compared to the 16.5GB download for GTA:IV "
    That 16 GB download also happens to be actually 32 gb of data.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By emem
    @CoheedFavorHouse: 10.238 GB
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

If you have a source game installed, and depending on how many...it can be 3 gigs or bigger.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By bibamatt

I'm downloading it now too and it says 8,975.7MB. 

PRECISE.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gizmo

Trying to get into TF2 isn't easy, at this point it's like trying to get into CS:S, just not going to happen for you.

CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

see, mine says 6,249.1 MB. 

i dont understand. im just gonna leave my computer open for a couple hours, and as long as it gets done, it gets gone

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Gizmo said:
    " Trying to get into TF2 isn't easy, at this point it's like trying to get into CS:S, just not going to happen for you. "
    Thats not true at all. 
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

I think they share resources with other Valve games, which is why when I download some random valve game they always start at like 30%+, because my TF2 download didn't seem that big. 

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By endless_void
    @valrog:@The_Laughing_Man:  Geez I made just a simple mistake, don't kill meh for it :P Man....
    ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By ErrorOperator
    @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    " Okay, good news. Team Fortress 2 is (further) on sale for $5 on steam today!  So I downloaded it, obviously. It seemed to fly to like 30%, but now it's taking like a percent like every 2 or 3 minutes. I understand its only going 852 KB/s, but I don't think I've ever had it take this long. So, is this download just huge, or is my computer fried? "
    It will have jumped to 30% because you will have other source games installed so most of the engine is already on your computer so it wont need to be downloaded again! Clever steam eh!
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    " Okay, good news. Team Fortress 2 is (further) on sale for $5 on steam today!  So I downloaded it, obviously. It seemed to fly to like 30%, but now it's taking like a percent like every 2 or 3 minutes. I understand its only going 852 KB/s, but I don't think I've ever had it take this long. So, is this download just huge, or is my computer fried? "
    Steam might be really busy right now too.
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse
    @Gizmo: i actually just got into CS:S the other night. admittedly, i get destroyed. but i'm doing a whole lot better than i was.
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fripplebubby

I already had a source game installed, too, but my download didn't jump to 30%. Maybe it's only Half-life 2 that makes that happen. 

CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse
    @Fripplebubby: i dont have half life. i have counter strike, which is the only game that says source. i have portal and l4d2 from valve too though
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Afroman269
    @Gizmo said:
    " Trying to get into TF2 isn't easy, at this point it's like trying to get into CS:S, just not going to happen for you. "
    What are you talking about? I was new to the game and picked up it up when it was last on sale. I've been having a blast. Once you find the class that works best for you, you will be perfectly fine. Counterstrike is the game where you will get anal raped easily.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Edin899
    @Gizmo said:
    Yeah because playing a fps is such a hard skill to master. 

How long did it take you? Did you spend years in training before actually playing the game? 
    Please share your secrets o great one.  And you win the ''dumbest comment of the year award''.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Edin8999: ...it's the loot man.  Playing TF2 with no items and no hats is sad.  Every time I see a dude without a hat on, I feel like crying and I feel sorry for him.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    Thats not true at all.  "
    I agree. I got into TF2 the last time it was on sale and didn't really have a problem picking up on it. You learn the tricks and technique pretty quickly if you're going to learn them at all.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gizmo
    @Edin8999 said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    Yeah because playing a fps is such a hard skill to master.  How long did it take you? Did you spend years in training before actually playing the game? Please share your secrets o great one.  And you win the ''dumbest comment of the year award''. "
    Being a frequent user of the forums, I can tell you right now that certainly isn't the dumbest comment of the year.  
    TF2 has been heavily played since release, you're honestly saying that you can just hop on and do well? I didn't say it was impossible, I said "it wasn't easy". 
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Edin899
    @Gizmo said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    Yeah because playing a fps is such a hard skill to master.  How long did it take you? Did you spend years in training before actually playing the game? Please share your secrets o great one.  And you win the ''dumbest comment of the year award''. "
    Being a frequent user of the forums, I can tell you right now that certainly isn't the dumbest comment of the year.  TF2 has been heavily played since release, you're honestly saying that you can just hop on and do well? I didn't say it was impossible, I said "it wasn't easy".  "
    No you said its not going to happen. 
    And you are claiming that if you start playing tf2 now you won´t have any fun and you will do horrible? 

I doubt it,
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By valrog
    @endless_void said:
    " @valrog:@The_Laughing_Man:  Geez I made just a simple mistake, don't kill meh for it :P Man.... "
    I was actually just wondering if I missed something in the last few days, so I had to ask. For a second there I thought they added the Sandvich as playable class (let's face it, we all want it), Saxton Hale, Australian Santa or something. Simple mistakes are serious business.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
    @Gizmo said: 
    Being a frequent user of the forums, I can tell you right now that certainly isn't the dumbest comment of the year.  TF2 has been heavily played since release, you're honestly saying that you can just hop on and do well? I didn't say it was impossible, I said "it wasn't easy".  "
    Yeah  you can. It will probably take you a few hours to get familiar with the classes and find the one that fits you well and to understand the way the game is played map-wise ... but other than that the learning curve is not that huge. After all the game is about teamplay. On a public server you can do pretty good really fast with certain classes.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By meteora

If all else fails, just do W+M1 with the Pyro on TF2.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Edin8999 said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    No you said its not going to happen. And you are claiming that if you start playing tf2 now you won´t have any fun and you will do horrible?  I doubt it, "
    I dunno, he seems kinda right to me. 

I've been trying to get into it and I find it really difficult. I get all the classes, I know what I should do, but i find it extremely frustrating how people have all these crazy items that make me die very very fast, while my weapons do very little damage in comparison. 

It's pretty annoying to do basically no damage but die so easily.  

It's not just FPS skill, otherwise I'd be doing significantly better than average. 

I also don't think this game is balanced, at all. Maybe that's the point since there's so many classes, but it gets kinda dumb. 

I don't even mean against me either. When I play with my girlfriend and she's my pocket healer and I play a heavy, nothing can stop us. It's completely overpowered and frankly stupid. 

I'm a valve fanboy and I liked TFC, but I simply can't get the appeal of this game, and damnit I'm trying. 

But I also agree with Gizmo.. it's hard to get into now and it's pretty buttfuck retarded how people have items that do way, way more damage than yours do.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Edin899
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    No you said its not going to happen. And you are claiming that if you start playing tf2 now you won´t have any fun and you will do horrible?  I doubt it, "
    I dunno, he seems kinda right to me.  I've been trying to get into it and I find it really difficult. I get all the classes, I know what I should do, but i find it extremely frustrating how people have all these crazy items that make me die very very fast, while my weapons do very little damage in comparison.  It's pretty annoying to do basically no damage but die so easily.   It's not just FPS skill, otherwise I'd be doing significantly better than average.  I also don't think this game is balanced, at all. Maybe that's the point since there's so many classes, but it gets kinda dumb.  I don't even mean against me either. When I play with my girlfriend and she's my pocket healer and I play a heavy, nothing can stop us. It's completely overpowered and frankly stupid.  I'm a valve fanboy and I liked TFC, but I simply can't get the appeal of this game, and damnit I'm trying.  But I also agree with Gizmo.. it's hard to get into now and it's pretty buttfuck retarded how people have items that do way, way more damage than yours do. "
    Thats a completly different story, he made it sound like people that get into tf2 don´t have the skills to keep up.  

But if its because of the items the other users have by playing for so long well then thats just stupid. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.