Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

How many Steam games did you buy before you felt disgusted...

• 144 results
    Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

over 300 games or some such, them first 2-3 years of steam sales where amazing.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

1 game - Civ 5... I'm on a Mac, tho.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old thread is old, but

@hero_swe said:

Wait...Are we trying to shame gamers about them buying videogames?

Get the fuck out of here!

@claritysam said:

@lordxavierbritish said:

Never enough.

THIS GODAMMIT!

This.

Never.

Never.

Loading Video...

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ok, I have 127 games on my steam account, and I went through and counted 49 games that I've either beaten, or played enough of that they were worth the purchase (like CS or Age of Conan).

But I've also got some episodic games like Tales of Monkey Island and Back to the Future that both have 5 parts each that I haven't touched, as well as a bunch of Double Fine prototypes I never really played, and like 5 different Half-Life addons (eg Lost Coast, Blue Shift, Opposing Force etc) that I've never opened. There's also a bunch of games I picked up cheap, played an hour or two and didn't like so I never went back to them (eg The Witcher or Kingdoms of Amalur).

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently at 486. Not disgusted yet.

DjTonySnark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Even if I'll never play a certain game

If it's under 5 dollars

God damn it I'll buy it.

I HATE YOU STEAM GOD DAMN YOU.

Incar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Incar

I only have 62 games in my steam library, only slightly disgusted at fact I won't play a handful of them, not sure why I even got them, free or not.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By 49th

I've got 250 but I honestly don't feel like I have spent that much money. I got the majority from humble bundles, got the Valve pack for pretty much free, and I mostly only buy games I want when they go on sale.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the original question....100...and I'm now at 312

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

115 and there are < 10 I regret buying (because they sucked). I have played around 50% of them. I read reviews and put a lot of thought into it before buying anything. There are 50-60 games on my wishlist and I will buy them as soon as they hit my price point. I fully intend to play every game I own. Last generation I was all PS3. This generation I am all PC. I am proud of my game library and play history.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently at 486. Not disgusted yet.

great number to be at

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I never felt disgusted, but once I hit 100 I stopped saying "Well I've got a huge backlog but this is on sale so I'll grab it." Now I only buy stuff I'd play immediately, which is pretty rare.

Shekkis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

344 and still going :)

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm at 183 I think. This year I said that I am going to work on the back catalog. My PC is mostly 4 years old at this point graphics card is 2 years. I have lots of games I want to play, I have little reason to spend more money now. I've knocked around 5 games off my list so far. Only bought 4 new games this year, none at full price. Not doing the best in that department but better then I used to with buying nearly every steam sale or humble bundle.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those sales man... those sales.

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Closing in on 500, I am rather less cavalier in my buying approach now and I'm certainly mindful of not adding things to the backlog unless it's very nearly for nothing - or something i intend to play immediately.

Still keeps on creeping upwards, though.

I don't mind it too much, way I see it, I have a library for a lifetime, should I find myself with crazy amounts of time to kill.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By uhtaree

For me it's more about hoarding, collecting and getting a deal I can't pass up than actually wanting to play all of the games. I have 7 "X" games (i.e. "X2: The Threat") and I have no intention of starting up an X game. It's a curse.

Edit: Worried I don't have enough games...especially from the last two years. Can't wait for the next sale now.

Blazera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#119  Edited By Blazera

I have over 120. I felt bad when I put over 200 hours in Skyrim. Now I have over 300 hours in, but I have seen people with over 1000 hours in Skyrim so now I dont feel so bad. Hopefully I can put 100 hours into the next Zelda game, Zelda U, without repeating content.

I feel bad when I look at my huge list of games and dont want to play any of them. It's so annoying. I keep rearranging them to make them more appealing to me. I play skyrim once in a blue moon. Mostly play League or final fantasy on my psp these days. :P

If I could do anything, I would sign up for an automatic game plan that provided me with all Zelda releases, all Elder Scrolls releases, and all final fantasy releases. Not to mention a job that would be fun, easy, and not take up much time so I could have plenty of playtime. Add a beautiful, loyal girlfriend that likes games and I'd be set. Thanks for reading!

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Ezekiel

I've played almost everything in my Steam library. At about 120, there isn't much else that I want. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt really bad at 300... but now I've wrapped back around and accepted the darkness.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I'm currently sitting at 246 and I think it started being a problem with me around 150. Thing is though a lot of these are keys from old boxed copy PC games that have Steam support now and Humble Bundle.

Though overall it's probably not as big a hurt to my wallet as it could have been since I feel 80% of the games and DLC on my list are from Steam Sales and Humble Bundles. Never really buy individual games on steam unless they're on sale. And I've for sure never bought a game on release day on Steam.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The secret is to never not be disgusted in yourself. Then you can buy all the games you want.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I have 353, but my steam account dates back to the days when it was a service that accomplished nothing other than annoying counter-strike players. I won't feel disgusted until steam shuts down and all those games are just gone.

I know they said they have a contingency plan for this, but I'm not betting on it working flawlessly.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Around 300 or so. I'm past 600 now.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have this problem with steam games, but I did have this problem with 360 games. There for a while I'd walk into Gamestop once in a while with 10 or 20 dollars and walk out with 5 or 6 games. I got to the point where I couldn't fit them anywhere else and I suddenly had a LOT of games that I knew I was never going to play. "Why are you doing this?" I would ask myself. At some point "because I can" stopped being a good answer, so now I'm down to about 30, half of which are great and the other half I'm really looking forward to playing.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#127 MattyFTM  Moderator

Over 1,200 games on Steam and still no disgust.

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

742. love em all <3

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Steam says 702, I've felt nauseated but not disgusted.

Nymphonomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own over 400 games on Steam, I'm not disgusted with myself, but I do regret giving money to Tim Schafer now that he's gone full McIntosh.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I was going to say "when I bought more games than I'd ever played," but in looking at my list: I've at LEAST booted up and spent SOME amount of time on just about everything I've ever bought from Steam.

That said: the first time I bought a game and didn't even bother to install it. The first time I TRULY bought a game because "some day, I might want to play it. Just not today."

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many of my games are duplicates of games I played on consoles and I just wanted a PC version "just in case" or as a "tip" to the developer because I liked their other games.

I don't feel bad about it, but I've got like 300+ at this point. Maybe that's too many?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#134 fisk0  Moderator

I currently own 1700 games, and don't buy as many games these days, but that's mostly because I own just about every Steam game I'm interested in (of course, that number grew quickly back in the golden days of Steam sales, circa 2009 when you could buy publisher packs of 70-80 games for $15, and I ended up buying the entirety of the Strategy First catalog of like 120 games, only 10 of which I was interested in, but which would've been more expensive to buy on their own).

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

450 games.. people just don't understand how good steam sales used to be. Especially with russian connections.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have exactly 800 games on Steam at the minute.

Which sounds a lot less disgusting when I add I've been a member for 11 years now.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im not there yet. but i changed job so now i make about ½ of what i did so less disposable income but im more happy and work less crazy hours. so that kinda limits me, and im playing more on consoles

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

550 games atm. It is a problem because I do the same thing on ps4/3ds/xbone... too many to play

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Star Wars franchise pack stands as the mark where it all went wrong for me. There were some impulse buys before then, but that was when I spent $50 on games that I only realized shortly afterwards that I had 0 intention of ever playing.

Since then I have made a lot of purchases, didn't play most of them. Lots of games were hopes. Like "I would LIKE to play this game some day, it seems cool and I think I would like how it plays" but then I don't have the time or energy to actually play them.

I don't have a number for you. The shame compounds with each purchase left unplayed.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buying The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. I spent less than $7 on it but moments after booting it up I was disgusted with how low a sale could bring my standards.

So I guess as a number that'd be 202.

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you could sell games back to steam, i might do that but they only have the permanent delete option that doesn't give you money back.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
    reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By reasonablesteve

You can never have enough games. That number simply hasn't been discovered/invented yet.

I guess the question you should ask is...
    I guess the question you should ask is...
    How many Steam accounts is too many?
    How many Steam accounts is too many?
    The answer: two. Two is too many.
    The answer: two. Two is too many.

Three accounts is way too much. But you can never have enough games.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the point when you never play a large number of them.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It helps that I have a "Done with" category that I leave closed. So I don't have any idea of the true scope of my depravity.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Steam says I've got 259 games in my library, out of which I've finished or played a significant amount of

*does a quick run through library*

Somewhere between 80 and 100.

It's kind of a confusing number to add up. How much is "enough" of a game to include? Five hours of a linear shooter is more than halfway, whereas five hours of Dragon Age Origins is barely getting started. Should I count games that I finished on a different platform, like Final Fantasy VI, but haven't finished on Steam? Should I count Doom 3, Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil, and Doom 3 BFG as separate entries? I don't know, exactly, so I'm leaving the estimate at the vague range of numbers mentioned above.

In any case, do I feel ashamed of my large library? I don't think that's the right way to word it, but I don't think I can make this post with a flat "no". I don't think anyone should feel ashamed of having a huge collection. After all, collectors generally do have a lot of things they haven't dabbled in at all. However, there have been times where I've bought games when I had no business spending money frivolously. There were a few times where I barely had money for gas or payments I needed to make while in college because I bought an expensive game or a bundle. I've reigned back on buying games these days and I'm trying to only buy games that I'm going to play a good chunk of these days.

More than that, I think I'm more disappointed that I don't really have enough free time to properly play a lot of the games I love to play. Fifty hour RPG's? Yeah, getting to the end of one of those suckers is one of my favorite things to experience in games, but I usually get home from work and I just don't have it in me to get wrapped up in something with a dense story or complex mechanics. I think one of the reasons I was able to play The Witcher 3 so consistently is because its combat isn't much more complex than quen-roll-attack-quen-roll-attack-win.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 412 games, and while I feel it is a lot my steam account start date is November 18, 2004 two days after Half Life 2 came out. I have literally never not had steam installed on my system since then, people complained it was buggy at launch but I've literally never had a problem with it so I don't feel so bad for splurging into a service I feel has earned it.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm at 296 but I don't regret it. Having the choice available means I can quickly write off a game if I'm not enjoying it without feeling compelled to slog through it.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just made a list to find out that I have at least 146 Steam games I have 0 minutes in, that number likely doesn't include games I ran the steam card generator thing for. I am a monster

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

611 games at the moment, but I've only paid full retail for five or six of those, so it's not like I've spent a lot of money on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.