Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Indie Reviews: Houdini's Oath Switches Ark Warfare

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Edited By MikeLemmer

Got a couple $15 games in the mix this week; two of them caught my eye, and I was gonna play them anyway, so why not review them as well? Probably just as well; pickings this week were pretty slim, and few of them were appealing. As usual, quick summaries below, with links leading to the full reviews.

Space Ark: Yeah, I know it wasn't released this week, but they finally released a patch for the tutorial crash I was experiencing. I wasn't missing much; the dual-character control scheme is kind of interesting, but a weak combo system + saccharine cuteness + losing 15 minutes of progress by screwing up a level kills my interest in this Arkanoid variant.

Ys: Oath in Felghana: An old-school remake that improves on the original. It's standard stuff done well and it just hits that old-school action RPG sweet spot for me.

Gettysburg: Armored Warfare: Nifty idea, but I don't think its small online community will survive a buggy launch with clumsy gameplay.

Haunted Houdini: A decent adventure game with hidden objects, puzzles, and a hint system & guide to get you through any place you get stuck. I still liked Pickers better, though.

3SwitcheD: No full review yet because its game page is still being set up, but this describes it succinctly: WHY DID I PAY $10 FOR THIS CRAP?! It's a Bejeweled clone with an annoyingly gushy announcer and a 3D gimmick that is only used to change your viewing angle for a game that's played on a 2D PLANE! Is it a commercial tech demo? A way to con us into spending money to register our Email addresses with them? An early April Fools joke? Either way, I feel like I've been had.

So, which game out of these would I play again? Ys: Oath in Felghana, an easy choice. It might be nice to revisit Gettysburg once it works out the kinks, but I don't think its player base will survive that long.

Well, that's it for this week. Hopefully Steam will ease up on the game releases before April 15th, or I might need to skimp on my reviews to finish taxes...

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MikeLemmer

Got a couple $15 games in the mix this week; two of them caught my eye, and I was gonna play them anyway, so why not review them as well? Probably just as well; pickings this week were pretty slim, and few of them were appealing. As usual, quick summaries below, with links leading to the full reviews.

Space Ark: Yeah, I know it wasn't released this week, but they finally released a patch for the tutorial crash I was experiencing. I wasn't missing much; the dual-character control scheme is kind of interesting, but a weak combo system + saccharine cuteness + losing 15 minutes of progress by screwing up a level kills my interest in this Arkanoid variant.

Ys: Oath in Felghana: An old-school remake that improves on the original. It's standard stuff done well and it just hits that old-school action RPG sweet spot for me.

Gettysburg: Armored Warfare: Nifty idea, but I don't think its small online community will survive a buggy launch with clumsy gameplay.

Haunted Houdini: A decent adventure game with hidden objects, puzzles, and a hint system & guide to get you through any place you get stuck. I still liked Pickers better, though.

3SwitcheD: No full review yet because its game page is still being set up, but this describes it succinctly: WHY DID I PAY $10 FOR THIS CRAP?! It's a Bejeweled clone with an annoyingly gushy announcer and a 3D gimmick that is only used to change your viewing angle for a game that's played on a 2D PLANE! Is it a commercial tech demo? A way to con us into spending money to register our Email addresses with them? An early April Fools joke? Either way, I feel like I've been had.

So, which game out of these would I play again? Ys: Oath in Felghana, an easy choice. It might be nice to revisit Gettysburg once it works out the kinks, but I don't think its player base will survive that long.

Well, that's it for this week. Hopefully Steam will ease up on the game releases before April 15th, or I might need to skimp on my reviews to finish taxes...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.