Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Moving Steam from HDD to an SSD or Hybrid Option

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsmoke77

In a recent Bombcast the crew was talking about SSDs and their limited space and how that affects Steam and all their games. I recently purchased an SSD and found this Guide on Installing and Optimizing an SSD. Link.In this guide there is a section about moving steam or having steam on an SSD while keeping some of your games on an HDD. Thought it was kinda neat and might be useful for some duders.

How to move steam to another drive:

1. Delete everything in the Steam folder except for the "steam.exe" and the "steamapps" folder
    2. Move the steam folder over to the secondary drive you want it on
    3. Open the "steam.exe" and it will reconfigure steam
    4. Log in and BAM! All your games are recognized
    5. Now, you can put what ever games you want on the SSD with Steam Mover (or junctions)
    6. Create another folder on the C:\ drive and name it (C:\Users\Sean\Steam Games)
    7. Run Steam Mover and have it move the game to that location and you are done!
    8. Now go play the games you want!

How to have steam on the SSD while having the games on either the SSD or HDD:

1. Delete everything in the Steam folder except for the "steam.exe" and the "steamapps" folder
    2. Have the "steam.exe" to a folder made on the C:\ drive (C:\Users\Sean\Steam)
    3. Have the "steamapps" folder on the HDD you want to store your games (D:\User\Program Files\Steam\steamapps)
    4. Make a junction from the "steamapps" folder to the SSD folder with the "steam.exe" in it
    5. Open the "steam.exe" and it will reconfigure steam
    6. Logged in and BAM! All your games are recognized and steam is on the SSD and the games on the other drive.
    7. Now, you can put what ever games you want on the SSD with Steam Mover (or junctions)
    8. Create another folder on the C:\ drive and name it (C:\Users\Sean\Steam Games)
    9. Run Steam Mover and have it move the game to that location and you are done!
    10. Now go play the games you want!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bigsmoke77: Know this is thread necromancy but just wanted to say thanks, this helped me out with my new SSD.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

@InfamousBIG said:

@bigsmoke77: Know this is thread necromancy but just wanted to say thanks, this helped me out with my new SSD.

Steam has built-in SSD management now (kinda) if you are on the Big Picture beta opt-in

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By Forcen

If you install the latest steam beta you pick other folders on your computer when installing.

Just go to settings>downloads>steam library folders.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jams

@Sooty said:

@InfamousBIG said:

Steam has built-in SSD management now (kinda) if you are on the Big Picture beta opt-in

@Forcen said:

If you install the latest steam beta you pick other folders on your computer when installing.

Not all games are compatible with it though. I can't get Skyrim to install to the separate drive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Jams said:

@Sooty said:

@InfamousBIG said:

@Forcen said:

Not all games are compatible with it though. I can't get Skyrim to install to the separate drive.

I don't know about the Big Picture stuff but I found a simpler way to do a hybrid install (I think it's that Steam Mover OP talked about but an updated version? Idk the junction stuff confused me so I used this):

http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/

That should be able to help you with your problem unless the Big Picture stuff messes up the system for some reason (I don't see how, but like I said, I'm not opted in).

Anyway, SSDs are awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.