Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Nightdive Studios sale recommendations

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Pretty sweet Nightdive studio sale going on Steam atm. Thinking about picking up Wiz 8 and System Shock 2. Any classics here that I should check out? Sell me guys!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Wizardry 8 is the shit if you like slow and dense old-school RPGs.... As long as you download the speed hack that cuts down on waiting for enemies to move into position. Otherwise it might take a while.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#3  Edited By Savage

Nightdive's top games are probably System Shock 1, System Shock 2, and Wizardry 8. All three of those are proper classics. Darklands (a realism-oriented RPG) is a cult classic, but its appeal is extremely specific, making it hard to recommend to most people. Other games that are good-to-great include Wizardry 6+7 (solid dungeon crawlers), Strife (Doom-clone crossed with an RPG), Turok (prehistoric sci-fi FPS), and Spirits of Xanadu (atmospheric FPS adventure game). One last game of note is TerraNova (squad-based mech sim with FMV cutscenes), which is an uneven but very ambitious game from legendary studio Looking Glass. I guess there's also I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (a horror adventure game), but I didn't think it was anything special except for being very dark thematically. I don't have much to say about the rest of Nightdive's games, and haven't played any of them, but they largely look like B-grade genre pieces (especially adventure games and military sims) from throughout the 90's.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

How do you feel about FMV adventures? 7th Guest, 11th Hour, Harvester, Bad Mojo, Tex Murphy, etc. are all well worth checking out if you love cheese.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is a legitimately great adventure game, and comes with the original Harlan Ellison short story, which is worth it on its own.

Eradicator is a bit of a forgotten gem FPS. Not the greatest, but interesting. Strife isn't as forgotten, but also worth checking out if you want to see an early blend of RPG and shooter that takes it a bit further than Hexen did.

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks for the tips guys, picked up Strife, SS2, Redline, W8, and Bad Mojo (looks pretty cheesy XD). They are all just so cheap!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6 fisk0  Moderator

Terra Nova is a great power armor game by the System Shock developers, which for some reason doesn't get as much attention as their other games.

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll check Terra Nova out, refunding Redline because it doesn't run well...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.